PDA

View Full Version : Turtle traps

FVR
09-01-2007, 12:04 AM
I was down in S.GA about two months back and this gent was unloading these big ol chicken wire boxes.

I asked him if they were snapper traps and he said they were. He made them and sold them at Larry's 4 Way.

Well, I had a few minutes and I examined these things, man were they basic. Just a big box, with one end half finished. Then they knotted rope like a fish net, into the shape of a funnel and stuck it inside the box. Tieing the end of the net to the outside of the box.

They put all kinds of dead critters in the box and tie it to the bottom.

The turtle senses the meat, they swim in through the net, drop through the end of it, eat and then can't get out.

I am going to try this next year, want to get a small jonboat and hit the Etowah.

I just really enjoy snapper soup. Grew up eating it in the NJ Pine Barrens.

Just something to think about.

Fog_Harbor
09-02-2007, 06:57 AM
Being from New England; sounds like a lobster pot (trap) to me. Same principal...

wareagle69
09-02-2007, 08:00 AM
hey FVR did you ever run into old stalking elk in the pine barrens?

FVR
09-02-2007, 09:04 AM
No, but one night we chased the Jersey Devil.

wareagle69
09-02-2007, 09:09 AM
por qui? what is the jersry devil..

FVR
09-02-2007, 09:47 AM
In 1735, a woman named Leeds, who had already had 12 children, gave birth to a 13th. During labor she proclaimed, “May the Devil take this one!”. The baby, upon being born, turned into a monster with the head of a collie, the wings of a bat and cloven feet. It promptly flew out the window and has been haunting the Pine Barrens ever since, mutilating animals, scaring the locals and bringing bad luck.

Fog_Harbor
09-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Sounds a lot like my mother-in-law