PDA

View Full Version : Coleman Lantern

tacmedic
10-11-2008, 09:01 AM
I am looking for some new lighting options to have on hand. I currently have a few oil lamps and candle lanterns. I am wondering what people think would be best. The ones I have been looking at are propane (the kind that use the prefilled canisters) lanterns, the kind that burns coleman fuel (or one that burns either the fuel or gas), and I have also looked at ones battery powered lamp with either LED or fluorescent bulbs. I am looking to use these mainly for power outages that we have here sometimes in the winter due to ice, they can last from 24 hours to two weeks. Usually closer to 2-3 days. Thanks!

Sourdough
10-11-2008, 10:15 AM
If they still offer the single mantel, I would recommend that over the double. You might look at the coleman tree, and use a small propane tank.

mattco
10-11-2008, 12:36 PM
1. You can always tell how much liquid fuel you have left, and have a pretty good idea of how much pressurized gas is left in your canister. It's not as easy to tell when your batteries are going to die.

2. Pressurized liquid fuel lanterns and some cartridge lanterns can be a little noisy, but you get brighter light. Wick-type lanterns (e.g. hurricane lantern, kerosene lantern) have less efficient combustion, lower light output, and smell more).

3. My limited experience with fluorescent battery-powered lamps does not impress me.

4. LEDs are great for point light sources, can make decent lanterns, don't smell, last quite a while, and don't have an open flame, but it's hard to tell when they're going to die.

If you're thinking about house-based use and have the small amount of money needed, I think having a few options/types is the best plan. I guess you could even get a hand-cranked or solar one if you really want to cover all options. If I was going backpacking, I'd use a variable-power LED headlamp and maybe take a spare set of batteries. I would test my batteries before heading out to make sure they'd last for the anticipated timespan.

crashdive123
10-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Tacmedic - I've got a couple of the smaller flouresent tube lanterns, and they are adequate for me for power outages. I have both the propane (sits on the little green canister) and multi fuel single mantle lanterns. While they give of alot more light than the battery lanterns, I generally do not use them inside.

commoguy
10-12-2008, 07:38 AM
i dunno are you talking about leaving them on 24/7? i have yet to see even an led lantern that will last over 24 hrs with continuous use. honestly i think it would also be easier to use kerosene laterns because the fuel has more uses than propane unless you have lots of propane powered appliances

Rick
10-12-2008, 08:31 AM
I use kerosene (oil) lamps. I have several. I also have a kerosene lantern (the old type where you raise the glass to light). I have three of the mini mag lights that convert to a lantern. They offer pretty bright light if you need it.

I like the kerosene because it's a good light source and uses a fuel that I can use in my kerosene heater.

I also like the mag lights because they are versatile, offer a clean light source and are safe to use. I can also convert them back to a flashlight in seconds.

Sourdough
10-12-2008, 08:55 AM
I use a 5KW diesel generator. 1,800RPM three cyl.

sh4d0wm4573ri7
10-12-2008, 08:56 AM
I use kerosene, and candle lanterns, regular 9 hour candles, a small Maxpedition backpacker lantern, I used to use the old colemon 2 mantles and like the light and heat they provide but did not like the fuel and extra mantle storage . Went to a Swiss Gear rechargable led light which although did not produce as much light as the colemon was do able. Recently found out though they must be stored upright not laying down or they ruin the rechargable battery. I'd opt for the colemon 2 mantle .

chazlawyer
10-14-2008, 02:15 PM
Giving the fact that winter is fast approaching us here in the New England area, I recently addressed the issue of emergency lighting...

Since you mentioned that you were considering coleman lanterns, I will add my comments on them.

I first purchased two of the Coleman Duel Fuel lanterns. They are very rugged and came in a nice carry/storage case...The plusses are that it burns very bright, burns the fuel fairly slowly, and of course the fact that you can burn coleman fuel or gasoline in the lantern. The negatives are the actual cost of the lantern ($80), the need to keep spare mantles on hand, and more importantly, it's not reccomended for interior use. So if you're main focus is emergency lighting inside your home when the power goes out, I would actually pass on these lanterns as they do give off a noticable fuel odor and that can't be good inside a well insulated/minimal draft house with no ventilation (at least in the winter when you are trying to keep the heat in).

My best suggestion to you is the Kirkman Cold Blast Lantern No. 2 Champion. I purchased two of these and can't be happier. They are very affordable at $24 each and most importantly can be used indoors as long as you need. Standard lamp oil is used which produces a flame equal to that produced by kerosene without odor. One 32oz. bottle will burn for over 25 hours in any #2 size lantern using 7/8" wick, or over 40 hours in any #1 size lantern using 5/8" wick.

I've actually found myself lighting the lantern and shutting off my lights in the living room at night...saves money, but also creates a nice atmosphere...

love the lantern....highly reccomended...and great customer service...

tacmedic
10-14-2008, 04:34 PM
chazlawyer- thanks for the tip. I will look in to those lanterns.

Riverrat
10-14-2008, 05:30 PM
The lantern that chazlawyer has in that picture, we call then hurricane lanterns. They work great and will stay lit in high winds as well. Have a couple of them.

laughing beetle
10-14-2008, 07:14 PM
I bought two hurricane lanterns at walmart for five bucks apiece. they work great.

crashdive123
10-14-2008, 07:21 PM
LB - are they the blue, enamel finish ones?

laughing beetle
10-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Black enamel and red enamel. Found them in the camping section.

crashdive123
10-14-2008, 08:20 PM
Thanks........

laughing beetle
10-14-2008, 08:25 PM
you're welcome:)

Aurelius95
11-05-2008, 11:12 PM
I have a 2 mantle coleman lantern. Like it was mentioned in a previous post, you do not want to use them indoors. CO poisoning can kill you! However, it burns brightly, and it lasts a long time without needing a refuel. Always keep a few extra mantles, as well.

When we camp, we have LED headlamps. These work great. It's nice to have several lighting options.

Stony
11-06-2008, 04:59 PM
coleman laterns (pressurized whitegas) are the way to go.
we use several of them (single and double mantle), together with kerosene lamps and candles in the shower house.
I found that the single mantle coleman give almost the same light (as the double) with half the gas.

pgvoutdoors
11-06-2008, 05:49 PM
I have a couple of the Coleman "Perfectflow Compact Lanterns" for emergency use and they work well and take up very little space.
They run for 12 hours or so on a standard propane cylinder.

Coleman Website: http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=5132B700&categoryid=1010

Gray Wolf
11-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Here is a 12 LED Crank Powered Lantern w/Compass - Battery Free! $10.99

Features/Specifications:

* Battery Free 12 LED Crank Powered Lantern

* General Features:
* Crank Powered
* 12 Super Bright White LED lights
* LED lights last approximately 100,000 hours
* Needs no batteries
* 3 adjustable brightness
* Convenient retractable hanger in the handle
* Built-in compass
* Crank lantern for 1 minute and get 20 minutes of light
* Operates on optional 6 Volt DC power adapter (not included)

* Unit Dimensions:
* 10.5 x 5.5 x 5.5-inches (H x W x D, approximate)

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=LED-CRANK-LANTERN&cat=CON

Coleman has one 3 X's the price.

StormBeam™ Dynamo Lantern $30.00

•Wind It Up - One minute of crank results in 15 minutes of useable light on low
•Great for power outages and emergencies
•Bright 0.7 watt LED never needs to be replaced

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=4346-705&categoryid=1140

Madrox
11-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Gray Wolf: do you own that particular crank LED lamp? If so whats your opinion on its actual use? Do you really get 20min from 1 min of cranking. If so thats exactly what i need to get and I've been looking for it for a bit.

Gray Wolf
11-18-2008, 09:07 PM
No. Don't know. Doubt it. Me too. :D

Rick
11-18-2008, 09:09 PM
See? That Gray Wolf is a man of few words. Wisdom. That's what I'm talkin' about folks. A real wise as...man.:D

Runs With Beer
11-18-2008, 11:00 PM
Light a fire.

Gray Wolf
11-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Figured that short answer would be a treat to someone who just finished reading one of Remy's posts... :D