PDA

View Full Version : Quick survival quiz

klkak
10-10-2008, 01:03 AM
You are out hiking. You come to a gorge about 100' deep and 50' wide with a one inch thick cable stretched across it. There is water at the bottom of the gorge which is about 30' deep. You are in excellent physical condition and you have leather gloves in your pack. You decide to cross the gorge on the cable. You grab the cable with both gloved hands and lift your legs and lock your ankles over the cable. You start pulling yourself hand over hand across the gorge. About 20' out one of your ankles slips off the cable. In your attempts to get it back on the cable the other one slips off. after a minute of trying to get your ankles back on the cable your arms are starting to burn. It is now that you realize you are in bad position. You can't get your legs back up and you don't have the strength to even get back to where you started. Your only options is to let go and fall into the water. You are a good swimmer so once you hit the water it wont be a problem to get to shore.

Describe in detail the best body position to enter the water. One hand, elbow or butt cheek out of position at this hight would result in serious injury and possible death due to you not being able to swim and drowning. I will answer you response with "you lived' or "you died".

Navy, Coast guard and rescue swimmers please PM your answer to me.

Good luck...,:)

laughing beetle
10-10-2008, 01:30 AM
I am gonna say... feet first, toes first to be specific. with my arms and hands at my sides. this way i figure I wont be pulled down as badly by my pack. and my head is already positioned up so I will be able to surface quicker. mind you I am terrified of heights and would never have gone on that cable in the first place, but that is my answer.

Sam
10-10-2008, 02:51 AM
Hi Klkak, I think feet first knees and ankles together, knees slightly bent. Chin tucked in with my arms crossed over my chest, to protect my face and neck.
-Sam

Rick
10-10-2008, 05:56 AM
I would want to hit feet first but my hands are going to cover my tush and it's going to be clinched. Hitting the water from that height is going to be a bit like hitting concrete and the force could inject water where it doesn't belong. Otherwise, knees and ankles together, as Sam said. Not tucking my chin though. That would put me face down. That's my thoughts.

crashdive123
10-10-2008, 08:20 AM
I sent you mine (no wonder I was in submarines, that jumping stuff scares me).

BraggSurvivor
10-10-2008, 08:31 AM
I'd drop off the cable and go immediatly into a Triple Lindy, twisting into a full half pike all while forcing my head back to position myself for final entrance into the torrent waves of the river doing my famous Bragg's Bodacious Beer Belly Flop. :D

I'd just go into a cannon ball feet first.

Rick
10-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Now that's funny!!! I can see all that water rushing in and you wind up with chipmunk cheeks. Little Boy Blue would turn into a fountain. Now, that there is funny, I don't care who you are!!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/23/41848038_22c85bf8e0.jpg

Gray Wolf
10-10-2008, 01:21 PM
I think Sam nailed it... 10 - 10 - 9.5 - 10 - 9.5

klkak
10-10-2008, 02:11 PM
I am gonna say... feet first, toes first to be specific. with my arms and hands at my sides. this way i figure I wont be pulled down as badly by my pack. and my head is already positioned up so I will be able to surface quicker. mind you I am terrified of heights and would never have gone on that cable in the first place, but that is my answer.

Sorry L.B. "You died" :(

klkak
10-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Hi Klkak, I think feet first knees and ankles together, knees slightly bent. Chin tucked in with my arms crossed over my chest, to protect my face and neck.
-Sam

Sorry Sam, you almost made it but "You died":(

klkak
10-10-2008, 02:13 PM
I would want to hit feet first but my hands are going to cover my tush and it's going to be clinched. Hitting the water from that height is going to be a bit like hitting concrete and the force could inject water where it doesn't belong. Otherwise, knees and ankles together, as Sam said. Not tucking my chin though. That would put me face down. That's my thoughts.

Sorry Rick, you almost made it but "you died":(

klkak
10-10-2008, 02:14 PM
I'd drop off the cable and go immediatly into a Triple Lindy, twisting into a full half pike all while forcing my head back to position myself for final entrance into the torrent waves of the river doing my famous Bragg's Bodacious Beer Belly Flop. :D

I'd just go into a cannon ball feet first.

Sorry Bragg, "You died":(

Rick
10-10-2008, 02:16 PM
When all us dead folks reach the end of the river...I say we through a party. Woo hoo, ouch!

Gray Wolf
10-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Boat Drinks! :D

I was with Sam so I died... :(

Dennis K.
10-10-2008, 02:22 PM
I'll take a shot.
I'll try to hit the water feet first, legs together, at an angle - leaning back kinda like this: " / "
arms crossed over my chest, hands cupped over my nose, chin tucked down.
As soon as I hit the water, arms go out to slow the descent and not go too deep.

Gray Wolf
10-10-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm looking forward to hearing the correct way, I like Sam thought, feet first, knees and ankles together, knees slightly bent. Chin tucked in with my arms crossed over my chest, to protect my face and neck was correct. Unless everything was correct except the slight bending of the knees from that height. :confused:

klkak
10-10-2008, 11:45 PM
The correct way to hit the water from extreme hight is:
Feet together
Legs stiff and straight
Arms crossed over chest with one hand holding nose
Head tilted slightly back
Clinch every muscle in your body especially your butt cheeks
As soon as your head is underwater, relax then kick for the surface.

FVR
10-11-2008, 09:09 PM
You sorry bastards don't know how to cross a cable.

Ahhh, that's right, ya never attended PI.

Sam
10-12-2008, 12:15 AM
You sorry bastards don't know how to cross a cable.

Ahhh, that's right, ya never attended PI.

That is why I don't know how to land in the water?

Rick
10-12-2008, 08:43 AM
Actually, Frank, that's just one of the reasons I use a bridge.