PDA

View Full Version : I need some help here

DEET
08-30-2007, 02:34 AM
My six year old son ask the all powerful all knowing gran pooba of knowledge a question today that i don't know the answer to. Why do the female preying mantisses sometimes eat the males after mating? I need the right answer so I can return to my demigod status as dad.:rolleyes:

wareagle69
08-30-2007, 06:26 AM
because men are pathetic when it comes to our women's needs when they whistle we come a running

or

because she can..

Sarge47
08-30-2007, 07:19 AM
My six year old son ask the all powerful all knowing gran pooba of knowledge a question today that i don't know the answer to. Why do the female preying mantisses sometimes eat the males after mating? I need the right answer so I can return to my demigod status as dad.:rolleyes:

"Cause they're hungry.:rolleyes:

robneville73
08-30-2007, 08:28 AM
While I'm not familiar with the specifics of Parying Mantii(sp?) my degree is actually as a Biologist...so reasoning my way through it, here are some likely explanations:

* Helps ensure proper nutrition somehow?
* Most animals go through some sort of selection process to find suitable mates - to try and find the best set of genes to combine with their's. This could be a strategy to ensure that her chosen mate only passes on his genes to her progeny
* The first answer given above sounds reasonable to me as well

My smart-alec-y response would be: because no matter the species, the women are in control of this process ;)

smokelessfire
08-30-2007, 10:51 AM
don't quit your day jobs. she simply takes advantage of the male's complete exhaustion after the act, eating him for the large amount of food she now needs for the offspring in her body.

trax
08-30-2007, 02:01 PM
Does she eat them or just rip their heads off? I thought they just ripped the heads off, which you know makes it murder rather than murder/cannabalism in the human world. Not that important a distinction to the victim (just as dead) but still, one that might lead to the right answer...

What's more important...how has your significant other been looking at you after moments of intimacy lately?:eek: :eek: da da da daaahhhh....

trax
08-30-2007, 02:02 PM
smoke less fire,

Are you high or something ?
Fireless smoke?? :D :D :D

owl_girl
08-30-2007, 02:21 PM
Maybe to ensure she’ll have enough energy to lay eggs or whatever they do.

trax
08-30-2007, 02:26 PM
Some get eaten...some get to see another day.
but no murder here.

Tell that to the dead mantis LOL:D

Fog_Harbor
08-30-2007, 05:35 PM
So she doesn't have to clean up after him for the rest of her life - one child is enough! (at least that what my wife would say)

DEET
08-31-2007, 12:31 AM
Well I decided after reading the threads to tel the little man that nobody really knows why. He watches too much animal planet.

trax
08-31-2007, 10:56 AM
So you're gonna switch him over to the Simpsons for a real education? :D :D