PDA

View Full Version : More Fall Planting

Rick
10-07-2008, 07:49 PM
For those of you new to the garden scene...now is the time to be thinking about planting garlic. Six weeks prior to the ground freezing. January or February for you southern folks with warm winters. Plant 1" inch deep and about six inches apart where they can get full sun. Mulch to protect from any late season weeds and cold winter weather. Just remember to pull the mulch back next spring until the shoots appear then you can mulch again to keep the weeds at bay.

I dehydrated 50 baseball sized onions this week-end into less than 2 quart containers. Froze another 25 and left a handful to use. Boy, did the house stink dehydrating those suckers!!

crashdive123
10-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Dug out my sweet potaoes this past weekend (1st attempt for me). Got about 25 lbs, probably lost almost as much. Seems that where I planted em some underground critters were very well fed. Gonna try them in containers next time. Cut back the tomato plants a while ago. Getting a second bloom on them now.

Rick
10-07-2008, 08:08 PM
I'm getting some late season blooms on my maters, too. I've pickled a bunch of sweet banana peppers and the last of my cukes are plumping up.

I picked some pimento peppers this week-end and ate one with lunch on Sunday. Holy mother of pearl was that sucker hot! I had no idea pimento's got that hot. Even my stomach was burning.

BraggSurvivor
10-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Speaking of critters Crash, I have a squirrel nesting in my shop somewhere. I opened the door tonight and switched on the light and behold a little basturdly squirrel chewing a 6" hole in the car cover on my Merc. Any ideas?

nell67
10-07-2008, 08:13 PM
rat trap, with peanut butter

crashdive123
10-07-2008, 08:14 PM
The easiest way (if the building allows it) is exclusion. Hardware cloth or steel wool make good temp patches. Don't shoot the squirrel ---- probably p.o. the wife if you miss or go through and through and put a hole in the Mercedes. You can probably chase it out rather than trap it. If there's an attic area - check around for nesting. If you have a lot stored check for nesting too. Or as Nell said - rat trap with bait.

BraggSurvivor
10-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Tried that Nell, he looked at it and fingered me. I don't want to use poison because of my dogs. If they find the carcass I'm afraid they would eat it. I've tried quietly sitting there with a .22 but he wont come out when I,m in the building. I might end up getting a cat.....but I hate cats. :(

BraggSurvivor
10-07-2008, 08:21 PM
What do I do with the steel wool Crash, I'm not following.

crashdive123
10-07-2008, 08:21 PM
......or a live trap.

crashdive123
10-07-2008, 08:23 PM
What do I do with the steel wool Crash, I'm not following.

If you can find where they're coming in (around electical conduit, soffit vent, ridge vent, etc.) stuff the hole with steel wool (they won't chew through it) If the SW is exposed to moisture it will rust (that's why I say temp patch) You can use brass wool as well.

BraggSurvivor
10-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Ah, gotcha. I don't think he is getting in anywhere other when I leave the overhead doors open all day sometimes.

Live trap might be the way to go though, I will look into it. Thanks!

crashdive123
10-07-2008, 08:36 PM
......or since you leave the doors open.....put a feeder on the outside and let him feast away.

Rick
10-08-2008, 07:56 AM
He probably got trapped inside when you closed the door and was gnawing through the cover to get to the Mercedes so he could use the garage door opener. Man! That was a long way to go for a joke.....

BraggSurvivor
10-08-2008, 08:35 AM
He probably got trapped inside when you closed the door and was gnawing through the cover to get to the Mercedes so he could use the garage door opener. Man! That was a long way to go for a joke.....

Thats what my wife said too! :D:D:D

wildWoman
10-11-2008, 01:18 PM
...just a note on the garlic: it also works when planted just before the ground starts freezing up, and survives in north of 60 with lots of mulch. So everyone late with the fall planting or up north can still give it a shot...

Sourdough
10-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Today is oats day for me, we had 10" snow, it melted, now I'll hand cast 150# of oat seeds today. We have very dry springs, and seeds don't germinate till mid-July rains. By putting the seed out late fall, just befor snow cover, they are ready in spring.

tacmedic
10-12-2008, 02:51 PM
hopeak- then do you harvest them by hand?