PDA

View Full Version : Oxygen Absorber question

LindyLu
10-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Hi out there. I am mostly a lurker here but read everything that is posted and have learned so very very much. Thank you all for that. My question is, I am trying to purchase oxygen absorbers for long term grain storage and also Potasium iodide tablets. I am having trouble finding either. One other question, will it harm wheat berries if they are stored where they will freeze? They will be in 5 gallon food grade buckets with gamma lids & the oxygen absorbers and will be dry. Thanks to you all. My preps have gone into high gear & these are on the last of the "Must Do" list.
LindyLu NE TN

hickatheart
10-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Lindy
A T Hagan has an excellent website, with the information you seek. He even has a PDF downloadable book. If stuff is frozen and can stay frozen, you are in a good place. Temperature change is an enemy of stored food, turning water vapor into condensate, and then into the food.
From experience: we ate the last of 60 pounds of blueberries two years after picking. They were fine. Generally, the longer food is from its original state, the lesser the quality. Rotate the stock, replacing the oldest with the newest. Eat what you store, and store what you eat.
H@H

LindyLu
10-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Thank you Hickatheart,
I will check that out and I so appreciate all that I have learned here. Wish I could be of more help to folks but I am on a steep learning curve but making excellent progress. I think I am at least. Bad times a'comin and they are comin' very very fast.
LindyLu

crashdive123
10-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Lindy - here's where I bought my potasium iodide from http://www.nitro-pak.com/index.php?cPath=37&osCsid=683abeb29ecb7f645ed3bf93b35ab1d3 I have purchased other items as well and never been disappointed.

BraggSurvivor
10-07-2008, 07:09 PM
I have made it part of my routine to review and replenish this list a couple times a year. Some good ideas here. Happy Shopping!

100 Items to Disappear First

1. Generators (Good ones cost dearly. Gas storage, risky. Noisy...target of thieves; maintenance etc.) I prefer a whisper 10 KW quiet diesel.
2. Water Filters/Purifiers
3. Portable Toilets
4. Seasoned Firewood. Wood takes about 6 - 12 months to become dried, for home use.
5. Lamp Oil, Wicks, Lamps (First Choice: Buy CLEAR oil. If scarce, stockpile ANY!)
6. Coleman Fuel. Impossible to stockpile too much.
7. Guns, Ammunition, Pepper Spray, Knives, Clubs, Bats & Slingshots.
8. Hand-can openers, & hand egg beaters, whisks.
9. Honey/Syrups/white, brown sugar
10. Rice - Beans - Wheat
11. Vegetable Oil (for cooking) Without it food burns/must be boiled etc.,)
12. Charcoal, Lighter Fluid (Will become scarce suddenly)
13. Water Containers (Urgent Item to obtain.) Any size. Small: HARD CLEAR PLASTIC ONLY - note - food grade if for drinking.
14. Mini Heater head (Propane) (Without this item, propane won't heat a room.)
15. Grain Grinder (Non-electric)
16. Propane Cylinders (Urgent: Definite shortages will occur.
17. Survival Guide Book.
18. Mantles: Aladdin, Coleman, etc. (Without this item, longer-term lighting is difficult.)
19. Baby Supplies: Diapers/formula. ointments/aspirin, etc.
20. Washboards, Mop Bucket w/wringer (for Laundry)
21. Cookstoves (Propane, Coleman & Kerosene)
22. Vitamins
23. Propane Cylinder Handle-Holder (Urgent: Small canister use is dangerous without this item)
24. Feminine Hygiene/Haircare/Skin products.
25. Thermal underwear (Tops & Bottoms)
26. Bow saws, axes and hatchets, Wedges (also, honing oil)
27. Aluminum Foil Reg. & Heavy Duty (Great Cooking and Barter Item)
28. Gasoline Containers (Plastic & Metal)
29. Garbage Bags (Impossible To Have Too Many).
30. Toilet Paper, Kleenex, Paper Towels
31. Milk - Powdered & Condensed (Shake Liquid every 3 to 4 months)
32. Garden Seeds (Non-Hybrid) (A MUST)
33. Clothes pins/line/hangers (A MUST)
34. Coleman's Pump Repair Kit
35. Tuna Fish (in oil)
36. Fire Extinguishers (or..large box of Baking Soda in every room)
37. First aid kits
38. Batteries (all sizes...buy furthest-out for Expiration Dates)
39. Garlic, spices & vinegar, baking supplies
40. Big Dogs (and plenty of dog food)
41. Flour, yeast & salt
42. Matches. {"Strike Anywhere" preferred.) Boxed, wooden matches will go first
43. Writing paper/pads/pencils, solar calculators
44. Insulated ice chests (good for keeping items from freezing in Wintertime.)
45. Workboots, belts, Levis & durable shirts
46. Flashlights/LIGHTSTICKS & torches, "No. 76 Dietz" Lanterns
47. Journals, Diaries & Scrapbooks (jot down ideas, feelings, experience; Historic Times)
48. Garbage cans Plastic (great for storage, water, transporting - if with wheels)
49. Men's Hygiene: Shampoo, Toothbrush/paste, Mouthwash/floss, nail clippers, etc
50. Cast iron cookware (sturdy, efficient)
51. Fishing supplies/tools
52. Mosquito coils/repellent, sprays/creams
53. Duct Tape
54. Tarps/stakes/twine/nails/rope/spikes
55. Candles
56. Laundry Detergent (liquid)
57. Backpacks, Duffel Bags
58. Garden tools & supplies
59. Scissors, fabrics & sewing supplies
60. Canned Fruits, Veggies, Soups, stews, etc.
61. Bleach (plain, NOT scented: 4 to 6% sodium hypochlorite)
62. Canning supplies, (Jars/lids/wax)
63. Knives & Sharpening tools: files, stones, steel
64. Bicycles...Tires/tubes/pumps/chains, etc
65. Sleeping Bags & blankets/pillows/mats
66. Carbon Monoxide Alarm (battery powered)
67. Board Games, Cards, Dice
68. d-con Rat poison, MOUSE PRUFE II, Roach Killer
69. Mousetraps, Ant traps & cockroach magnets
70. Paper plates/cups/utensils (stock up, folks)
71. Baby wipes, oils, waterless & Antibacterial soap (saves a lot of water)
72. Rain gear, rubberized boots, etc.
73. Shaving supplies (razors & creams, talc, after shave)
74. Hand pumps & siphons (for water and for fuels)
75. Soysauce, vinegar, bullions/gravy/soupbase
76. Reading glasses
77. Chocolate/Cocoa/Tang/Punch (water enhancers)
78. "Survival-in-a-Can"
79. Woolen clothing, scarves/ear-muffs/mittens
80. Boy Scout Handbook, / also Leaders Catalog
81. Roll-on Window Insulation Kit (MANCO)
82. Graham crackers, saltines, pretzels, Trail mix/Jerky
83. Popcorn, Peanut Butter, Nuts
84. Socks, Underwear, T-shirts, etc. (extras)
85. Lumber (all types)
86. Wagons & carts (for transport to and from)
87. Cots & Inflatable mattress's
88. Gloves: Work/warming/gardening, etc.
89. Lantern Hangers
90. Screen Patches, glue, nails, screws,, nuts & bolts
91. Teas
92. Coffee
93. Cigarettes/Cigars
94. Wine/Liquors (for bribes, medicinal, etc,)
95. Paraffin wax
96. Glue, nails, nuts, bolts, screws, etc.
97. Chewing gum/candies
98. Atomizers (for cooling/bathing)
99. Hats & cotton neckerchiefs
100. Goats/chickens

From a Sarajevo War Survivor:
Experiencing horrible things that can happen in a war - death of parents and
friends, hunger and malnutrition, endless freezing cold, fear, sniper attacks.

1. Stockpiling helps. but you never no how long trouble will last, so locate
near renewable food sources.
2. Living near a well with a manual pump is like being in Eden.
3. After awhile, even gold can lose its luster. But there is no luxury in war
quite like toilet paper. Its surplus value is greater than gold's.
4. If you had to go without one utility, lose electricity - it's the easiest to
do without (unless you're in a very nice climate with no need for heat.)
5. Canned foods are awesome, especially if their contents are tasty without
heating. One of the best things to stockpile is canned gravy - it makes a lot of the dry unappetizing things you find to eat in war somewhat edible. Only needs enough heat to "warm", not to cook. It's cheap too, especially if you buy it in bulk.
6. Bring some books - escapist ones like romance or mysteries become more valuable as the war continues. Sure, it's great to have a lot of survival
guides, but you'll figure most of that out on your own anyway - trust me, you'll have a lot of time on your hands.
7. The feeling that you're human can fade pretty fast. I can't tell you how many people I knew who would have traded a much needed meal for just a little bit of toothpaste, rouge, soap or cologne. Not much point in fighting if you have to lose your humanity. These things are morale-builders like nothing else.
8. Slow burning candles and matches, matches, matches

LindyLu
10-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Again, to all of you, thank you. I have a question of BraggSurvivor. I have believed your projections for quite some time and so am pretty well prepared. A special thank you to you. Okay, my question is, on your list, why do you say oil pack tuna rather than water pack? I have many many cans of water pack and have never had a problem with them but would like to know your opinion. Another special thanks to you CrashDive for the potasium iodide site. You all provide me & my family with a bit of sanity, hope & sometimes a laugh which is much needed these days.
Blessings,
Linda

Sourdough
10-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Okay, my question is, on your list, why do you say oil pack tuna rather than water pack? Blessings,
Linda

Oil has calories. Good fat calories.......

Rick
10-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Wait! Wait! Someone actually BELIEVES Bragg?! (groans) What is this world coming to? (walks away mumbling).

BraggSurvivor
10-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Wait! Wait! Someone actually BELIEVES Bragg?! (groans) What is this world coming to? (walks away mumbling).

Hey, you leaver her alone with your "Everythings A-OK, we have been through this before" stuff.

Well, the FEDs were effectively bankrupt as of Sept 17, 2008

Since then ALL attempts to "save the markets" have been effectively funded via the Treasury through outright money creation. Thats right Rick, up 'til then the FEDs had been playing the market and using "Reserves" to keep things afloat. After they run out those they were toast.

Today, the US F.R.B. is a ward of the state, owned by Uncle Sam.

See attached:

http://www.kitco.com/ind/Szabo/oct082008.html

And if they can neutralize the derivatives market, then can you say HYPERINFLATION?

Yeah, I knew you could...

LOL, and can you say Argentina?

She is doing the right thing. Keep it up LindyLu!

Rick
10-08-2008, 06:15 PM
I rest my case!

BraggSurvivor
10-08-2008, 06:21 PM
As I see it, you have no case. :D

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm259/bructer1/59125_PaulBernBailout.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm259/bructer1/bail_dees.jpg

Rick
10-08-2008, 06:44 PM
I do agree that throwing money at the problem won't solve it. The fireman picture is pretty accurate in that regard. Here's part of an interview with Warren Buffet about the economy...

"
If big financial institutions don't seem to know what's in their portfolios, how will investors ever know when it's safe?
They can't, they can't. They've got to, in effect, try to read the DNA of the people running the companies. But I say that in any large financial organization, the CEO has to be the chief risk officer. I'm the chief risk officer at Berkshire. I think I know my limits in terms of how much I can sort of process. And the worst thing you can have is models and spreadsheets. I mean, at Salomon, they had all these models, and you know, they fell apart.
What should we say to investors now?
The answer is you don't want investors to think that what they read today is important in terms of their investment strategy. Their investment strategy should factor in that (a) if you knew what was going to happen in the economy, you still wouldn't necessarily know what was going to happen in the stock market. And (b) they can't pick stocks that are better than average. Stocks are a good thing to own over time. There's only two things you can do wrong: You can buy the wrong ones, and you can buy or sell them at the wrong time. And the truth is you never need to sell them, basically. But they could buy a cross section of American industry, and if a cross section of American industry doesn't work, certainly trying to pick the little beauties here and there isn't going to work either. Then they just have to worry about getting greedy. You know, I always say you should get greedy when others are fearful and fearful when others are greedy. But that's too much to expect. Of course, you shouldn't get greedy when others get greedy and fearful when others get fearful. At a minimum, try to stay away from that.
By your rule, now seems like a good time to be greedy. People are pretty fearful.
You're right. They are going in that direction. That's why stocks are cheaper. Stocks are a better buy today than they were a year ago. Or three years ago.
But you're still bullish about the U.S. for the long term?
The American economy is going to do fine. But it won't do fine every year and every week and every month. I mean, if you don't believe that, forget about buying stocks anyway. But it stands to reason. I mean, we get more productive every year, you know. It's a positive-sum game, long term. And the only way an investor can get killed is by high fees or by trying to outsmart the market."

Source: http://money.cnn.com/2008/04/11/news/newsmakers/varchaver_buffett.fortune/

Sourdough
10-08-2008, 06:51 PM
Gee, Rick you have more posts than the Dow has points. That is something to be proud of.

BraggSurvivor
10-08-2008, 06:56 PM
I'll NEVER believe a word that comes out of Buffets mouth. He is a crony and in the back pocket of the thieves that caused these problems in the first place.

His name was brought up twice last night from the up and coming next Prez. Gold help us all then. :mad:

BraggSurvivor
10-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Gee, Rick you have more posts than the Dow has points. That is something to be proud of.

Ah, fricken PRICELESS! :D:D:D:D

BraggSurvivor
10-08-2008, 10:29 PM
Oil has calories. Good fat calories.......

The oil can also be used for various other things as well. Also your tuna doesn't turn 'mushy' if it happens to freeze when in oil.

Think long term , storing food is short term, long terms is growing food.

crashdive123
10-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Bragg - Speaking of growing food - have you stocked your dug out with fish?

BraggSurvivor
10-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Bragg - Speaking of growing food - have you stocked your dug out with fish?

No, my wife won't let me rid all the frogs.

On the brighter side, my solar system and rotating garden is almost complete. Finished trenching cables today. Installers have a few more connections and testing and she is ready to start planting. I will post pics when complete.

crashdive123
10-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Well - frog's legs aren't bad.

Sourdough
10-08-2008, 10:59 PM
No, my wife won't let me.

And now that She has a "Luger", you need to be damn sharp with the,"Yes Dear, as you wish".......;)

BraggSurvivor
10-08-2008, 11:05 PM
And now that She has a "Luger", you need to be damn sharp with the,"Yes Dear, as you wish".......;)

It's Ruger, Crash will tell ya. :D

BraggSurvivor
10-08-2008, 11:45 PM
I do agree that throwing money at the problem won't solve it. The fireman picture is pretty accurate in that regard. Here's part of an interview with Warren Buffet about the economy...

"
If big financial institutions don't seem to know what's in their portfolios, how will investors ever know when it's safe?
They can't, they can't. They've got to, in effect, try to read the DNA of the people running the companies. But I say that in any large financial organization, the CEO has to be the chief risk officer. I'm the chief risk officer at Berkshire. I think I know my limits in terms of how much I can sort of process. And the worst thing you can have is models and spreadsheets. I mean, at Salomon, they had all these models, and you know, they fell apart.
What should we say to investors now?
The answer is you don't want investors to think that what they read today is important in terms of their investment strategy. Their investment strategy should factor in that (a) if you knew what was going to happen in the economy, you still wouldn't necessarily know what was going to happen in the stock market. And (b) they can't pick stocks that are better than average. Stocks are a good thing to own over time. There's only two things you can do wrong: You can buy the wrong ones, and you can buy or sell them at the wrong time. And the truth is you never need to sell them, basically. But they could buy a cross section of American industry, and if a cross section of American industry doesn't work, certainly trying to pick the little beauties here and there isn't going to work either. Then they just have to worry about getting greedy. You know, I always say you should get greedy when others are fearful and fearful when others are greedy. But that's too much to expect. Of course, you shouldn't get greedy when others get greedy and fearful when others get fearful. At a minimum, try to stay away from that.
By your rule, now seems like a good time to be greedy. People are pretty fearful.
You're right. They are going in that direction. That's why stocks are cheaper. Stocks are a better buy today than they were a year ago. Or three years ago.
But you're still bullish about the U.S. for the long term?
The American economy is going to do fine. But it won't do fine every year and every week and every month. I mean, if you don't believe that, forget about buying stocks anyway. But it stands to reason. I mean, we get more productive every year, you know. It's a positive-sum game, long term. And the only way an investor can get killed is by high fees or by trying to outsmart the market."

Source: http://money.cnn.com/2008/04/11/news/newsmakers/varchaver_buffett.fortune/

I'm vert surprised you didn't received all your information from FOX NEWS Rick.......:D

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm259/bructer1/sheeple-watch-fox-news.jpg

crashdive123
10-09-2008, 06:50 AM
Sure beats the Daily Kos for getting your information.

Rick
10-09-2008, 06:52 AM
How'd you get my picture?

LindyLu
10-09-2008, 07:56 AM
Once again another thank you and I understand about the tuna in oil now. Will do when/if I resupply. You guys listen to BraggSurvivor. He's known for a long time and so have I. My favorite line is "WINTER IS COMING". Time to hunker down and I have done just about all I can for me & mine and am darn proud of that. Also, thanks for a chuckle now and again. We need that. It is most comforting to know I am not alone.

Madrox
10-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Definitely not alone. Doing the same thing here in CO :)

Great info guys!