PDA

View Full Version : share your bug-home plans

lumpy
08-28-2007, 08:54 AM
My dw(dear wife) and I discussed this for the first time ever about a week ago.I had no idea that she had already given this some thought.

Our concerns are a sudden shtf scenario that no one sees coming.Where we live,the only major concerns I have in that area would be an earthquake, or to an even lesser extent an EMP strike.Louisville,Ky. is probably not very high up on some terrorists target list.

At this moment,I'm not well prepared.That however,is changing quickly.I've been working on putting together a very inexpensive bug-home bag.I've also decided to carry a 10-speed bike in the back of my mini-van.I work closer to home than my wife,so I would try to get to the kids at their schools.This could be a problem.My youngest would only be about 12 miles away,then another 9 miles home.Shouldn't be a problem.Once I get him home,my other child(special needs) will be about 35 miles away,could be a problem.Thinking I might could use a street and trail motorcycle.It could get me places the mini-van cannot(assuming no EMP).

My dw, on the other hand, has to cross the Ohio River to get home.That could be a major problem.I'm glad we had a chance to talk about this together.She told me that she would actually consider swimming the river to get home.I got that idea out of her head real quick.I appreciate her can-do attitude,but attempting that swim would be just plain dumb.She works in the most traffic congested area of Louisville.We talked about her quickly evaluating the given situation and making her move.Which could call for her to drive (if possible)in the opposite direction she normally would drive,to an alternative bridge up river in a much less densely populated area.I showed her her options on a road map that we keep in the car.I was pleased to see how serious she takes all this.

A couple of days ago she came home from Sam's club with a 25#bag of flour and a 10#bag of pinto beans.Tears of joy streamed down my face(not really,but you get the idea of how happy she made me).

So,anyone else care to share their bug-home plans with the rest of us?

trax
08-28-2007, 10:53 AM
check out some of the other postings on this subject, we've got a couple of flat out shopping lists that are quite good. You know, rather than re-write. Is there any other ways across that river? That sounds like the number 1 concern for me.

nell67
08-28-2007, 03:15 PM
trax,
I can tell you, there are not many options for crossing that river,unless you own a decent boat,or you drive many,many miles out of your way.

They are looking into building another bridge,but neither state can come to much agreement on where to build it.

trax
08-28-2007, 03:29 PM
How wide is the river? A boat might be a feasible response.

Fog_Harbor
08-28-2007, 05:21 PM
How fast is the river's current? If it's fast and strong, you'll need a motorboat, but if not, you could get by with a canoe or a skiff. If storage is a problem, check this site out:

http://www.pokeboat.com

trax
08-28-2007, 05:25 PM
and a small electric motor is probably plenty, lighter weight and easier to transport than a gas outboard.

lumpy
08-28-2007, 07:34 PM
trax you missed the main point of my post.I wasn't asking for things I should put in a survival kit.I have read hours worth of threads on this site before I ever made my first post.Lots of good stuff already covered in that area.

I asked if anyone cared to share their bug-home plans with the rest of us.I'm interested in people's ideas on how they plan on getting home if TSHTF while they are at work.How are their loved one's getting home? Have they discussed their plans with all whom it may concerns?

Fog_Harbor
08-28-2007, 07:51 PM
Sharing the plans, in my estimation, would defeat the purpose.

wareagle69
08-28-2007, 08:10 PM
lumpy i live in a small town in northern Ontario but the 6th largest in Ontario due to it's geography but yes Mrs moose-whisperer and myself have a rendezvous point and several plans for bugging in(b/i) and bugging out(b/o) if need be we are in the process of purchasing 100 to 200 acre property of boreal woods and will be constructing a survival bunker with two hidden access points so if you find the first way in you might not realize a second hidden entrance concealed behind the first...

always be prepared...

criticalmass
08-28-2007, 09:11 PM
http://www.tucktech.com/

folding canoe

Fog_Harbor
08-28-2007, 09:34 PM
http://www.tucktech.com/

folding canoe

That's kinda cool - a lot cheaper than the Poke too.

HOP
08-29-2007, 07:26 AM
Poke boat or folding canoe is probably not a good idea on the Ohio river which most of it is full of barges being pushed by tugs with large wakes always a lot of traffic.
Lumpey I live here in WV with my daughter and her family and they don't see beyond today so I do the preparing . 3 of the grandkids go to school about 10 miles with major highway most of the way even in this rual area . Everyone else is in walking distance.I don't drive much so vehicle is always topped off , natueral gas for heat and cooking, fire wood put up , storage type food put up and firearms with extra ammo for barter.
I think that having a plan to get to a prepared area is paramount and concideration of the unprepared is important. This area has a lot of people on welfare and even though most West Virginians are pretty good at self sufficency the welfare folks live poorly month to month and have to be factored in the security measures.

lumpy
08-29-2007, 08:05 AM
Hey HOP,I agree about the barge traffic on the Ohio R.In fact that was my biggest concern with an attempted river crossing.I didn't mention it in my original post to save time.I've enjoyed your posts.I understand your frustration in trying to encourage others to think beyond today.

criticalmass
08-29-2007, 10:03 PM
If a catastrophic event occurs that would render a major thoroughfare (such as the one in question) unusable, is the barge traffic going to be there? I would think the barge operators will be buggin out too.

earth2res
06-26-2009, 08:21 PM
This is an interesting question. It got me to thinking....my husband works in Chicago and we live in the suburbs, about 30 miles away. He takes the train to and from work. Ihave no idea how he would get home. This is something we need to plan for. He does have a taxi driver friend who brings him home when he works late, he might be willing to bring him home for extra money.

Rick
06-26-2009, 08:26 PM
The most important aspect of this is a communication plan. You might be counting on the husband to get home when he was a casualty. You might be expecting the wife to pick up the kids when she was a casualty. Without a communication plan in place you are only assuming your plan is functioning as it was envisioned and we all know that is never the case. You must have a plan in place detailing who, what, when, where and how on every aspect of communication.

Ole WV Coot
06-26-2009, 11:40 PM
If a catastrophic event occurs that would render a major thoroughfare (such as the one in question) unusable, is the barge traffic going to be there? I would think the barge operators will be buggin out too.

I think I mentioned this in another post but there is a barge terminal around Kenova and loaded coal barges from the Big Sandy in this area alone. Barge workers work 30 on 30 off and they will abandon them and go home if they can. You can almost guarantee that loaded barges that I have observed on the Ohio going downriver would wipe out all the bridges and Louisville is downriver. I personally would head for Louisville, pick a spot to meet like the fairgrounds or a friends and ride it out.

Yakov
06-28-2009, 02:38 AM
I would see about getting maybe an inflatable dinghy. It might not be the best thing out there, but it would be cheaper and better than nothing at all.

two words: Jet Pack!

Winnie
06-28-2009, 06:05 AM
This is something I have planned for after an incident at a factory local to wychwood jnrs workplace.
Our plan is very simple and I know it won't work for everyone but here goes.

1) If possible make contact via phone, make sure name and address is with emergency response unit.
2) If safe to do so make our way home. If not go to emergency shelter.(We now know where these are)
3)Keep radio on for any bulletins.
4)As I work from home and incident here, depending on advice from emergency services either bug out or stay at home. Still do 1).
5) We also have a meeting point arranged should we need it and we both know several routes to get there.

The main thing is not to panic we've agreed to wait 12hrs before contacting emergency services if we have not heard from one another.
As I said it's simple but we have given it a dry run and it works for us.
The only problem was the BOB which is now being addressed.

chiangmaimav
06-28-2009, 11:28 PM
The political situation here is so unstable that I and most of the expats here have some sort of an escape plan. I have 2 homes here and both are near border with Burma and I can get out of the country very quickly. I have friends in Burma who will let me stay with them and if worse came to worse and I could not get out through regular border route I have kayak and could cross the mekong into Burma or Laos or can even walk across the moei but that is risky and the last resort. From Burma it is possible to go by fishing boat to Malaysia if necessary

kx250kev
06-29-2009, 01:11 AM
So,anyone else care to share their bug-home plans with the rest of us?

I'll just add that I have made BH plans for my wife too. #1 for me was that she have a weapon and training to protect herself with if we are separated and things get ugly. :jango: Something to consider.:online2long: