PDA

View Full Version : Ready to practice and nowhere to go!

Monnster
10-01-2008, 04:27 PM
since I have been going on a couple of wilderness canoe trips, I like to practice some basic survival skills in case I should need them. I have become very proficient at fire starting. I have tried several methods without matches,lighters or flint. The bow and drill method,using a boot lace, is very productive for me. Many of times I have went to local woods to retrieve different types of wood to see which ones are most effective. My problems stem from that I can't practice this anywhere except at home. My shelter making skills are lacking. I live near a National park. The "not to do" list leaves me pretty much sticking to the hiking trails with my hands in my pockets. The city parks are even more strict. My question would be; how can one practice when every wooded area within driving distance has a "look but don't touch" attitude? I have been questioned as to why I had a small handful of deadfall sticks in my hand walking back to my truck. If I were to try shelter construction, it would be a no-no,even with deadfall.

RobertRogers
10-01-2008, 05:09 PM
I've learned quite a bit at home. For example, constructing prototype traps that harmlessly catch my pet cat.

I could never live with such tight restrictions to the use of land, and would move to a more favorable area.

Sourdough
10-01-2008, 05:18 PM
MOVE, To a place where you are not in a living in a bureaucratic environment like that. Or find some private land owner who will let you play with his sticks.

crashdive123
10-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Monnster - here are a couple of groups that may be able to help you find what's available near you.

http://www.slackpacker.com/map_oh.html

http://www.neohbackpackingclub.com/home.aspx

wareagle69
10-01-2008, 07:20 PM
would you care to expand on your knowledge of fricton fires?
i think pvgoutdoors can be of great help in directing you to some good areas the only ones i know are farther away more central ohio

Sourdough
10-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Had some brush, grass, small trees growing on the rifle range. So today I fired up the dozer and mowed the firing lanes, sure glad I don't need permission from some bureaucrat to clear the range, or play with sticks.