PDA

View Full Version : Doan firestarter tool

adams420
09-28-2008, 01:18 AM
Hello... i am new to this forum but i expect i will be spending alot of time here...

I wanted to share my experiences with this tool... the Doan Firestarting tool. It is a small block of Magnesium (i believe),, and a piece of flint running down one side. You scrape some magnesium shavings off then throw a spark on them and whammy... HOT INSTANT FIRE. The very first time i tried this tool it worked.. i have the burn on my desk to prove it.

Anyway, pretty handy tool... it is about the size of a small sharpening stone and has a hole woth a ballchain so you can attach it to something..

Gray Wolf
09-28-2008, 02:00 AM
adams, I think you should scrape and fire your way to the Introduction area and tell us a little about yourself, age, experience, etc. But to your comment about the Doan, It's heavy, there are better , much lighter, more fire starters per individual units out now for all types of weather conditions. Let me put it this way, the model T car was great... Back then. Newer, better items have come far since the Doans. Let alone you need to carry backup fire starters, that adds more weight, that together weigh less than the Doans. After you do your Intro, do a search on fire starters, using the Search button, for Fire Starters. You will find numerous ways and whys, and tools needed. After you've used the search and still have questions, just ask, and we will help. Just remember what works for one may not work for you. But you do need to try to master a few. Now why don't you strike on over to the Intros. You'll be glad you did.

PS there's even a sticky on fire starters here:
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1408

Fletcher
09-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Hello... i am new to this forum but i expect i will be spending alot of time here...

I wanted to share my experiences with this tool... the Doan Firestarting tool. It is a small block of Magnesium (i believe),, and a piece of flint running down one side. You scrape some magnesium shavings off then throw a spark on them and whammy... HOT INSTANT FIRE. The very first time i tried this tool it worked.. i have the burn on my desk to prove it.

Anyway, pretty handy tool... it is about the size of a small sharpening stone and has a hole woth a ballchain so you can attach it to something..

wow we aint never hered of one them your just full of vital info!!!

Gray Wolf
09-29-2008, 01:25 AM
wow we aint never hered of one them your just full of vital info!!!

Come on Fletcher, I'm sure you were a newbie a some point, so no need for sarcasm, "YET".

crashdive123
09-29-2008, 06:48 AM
I've got a mag block & steel in each of my kits. I'll bet there are some members or visitors to the forum that have not used them and maybe haven't found them in another area of the site yet. So thanks Adams.

Pict
09-29-2008, 07:58 AM
I like the mag blocks as well. In Brazil I carry one on my belt along with my folder and machete. I also have one laced to each of the machetes I use for my course. One tip that I picked up on another forum is to us a piece of tape to collect the shavings. Make sure the tape itself burns well. The ones I have on my machetes are all wrapped with a piece of tape and carried inside a sleeve of bike inner tube, which is used as secondary tinder with the magnesium shavings. Most of the time we just light up natural tinder with the sparker and don't bother with the magnesium. The most common mistake people make with the shavings is not using enough of them. It is sort of tedious to scrape up enough to do the job right the first time. Mac

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/6416/img3699ny8.jpg

bulrush
09-29-2008, 09:24 AM
I got some magnesium "shavings" with a mischmetal (ferrocerium) rod online. These shavings were not a powder, but looked to be from a metal mill of some type. They were very hard to light with the mischmetal and so not very useful.

Fletcher
09-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Come on Fletcher, I'm sure you were a newbie a some point, so no need for sarcasm, "YET".
Your right I'm sorry Adams420. I have a magenesium firestarter in my pocket as I type this! I've had it for over 15years And I use it. But when I'm going in the bush or woods I also carry backups ie bic. matches ............ Does the compass on your survival knife have a air bubble in it? or does it have a compass?

chiye tanka
09-30-2008, 07:53 AM
I still like the Light My Fire steels better. They're lighter and easier to use.

tsitenha
09-30-2008, 10:43 AM
I now use a simple ferrocium rod as a fire source, once carried the mag/ferro combo in my travels but for the same weight I now carry a couple of "ferro rods" in seperate places with tinder as I gather it and even some pre-dried tinder in a water proof capsule. Again I layers my fire starting resources.

crashdive123
09-30-2008, 06:38 PM
Since we've been talking about fire starters, here's one of my fire kits. In the pic are 4 film canisters with cotton balls, vaseline soaked cotton balls, dryer lint, char cloth. Then Coghlans waterproof fire sticks, Wetfire tinder, Vaseline soked cotton in foil, trick candles, sissel twine. Finally mag/flint with hacksaw blade knife, Swedish Firesteel, Bic, matches, magnifying lense.

Fletcher
09-30-2008, 08:00 PM
That's impressive! Bet ya can't blow that candle out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Runs With Beer
10-24-2008, 08:03 PM
Hey, Pict how can I get one of those folding knives. Are they from south Am?

Rick
10-25-2008, 06:22 PM
I've got a couple of the mag blocks as well. I don't use them very often but I do have them.

AVENGED
11-09-2008, 02:40 AM
I Carry, Lighters, Waterproof Matches, Light My Fire, Mag Block. Annnnddddd, Since Here In Nevada It Only Rains When I Want To Go Camping And Right When I Start A Fire. I Have A Road Flare..... Never Fails Me.