PDA

View Full Version : What is the best all-around material for a "survival" shirt?

sgtdraino
09-25-2008, 05:58 AM
Of course, similar to socks, the type of shirt will depend on the type of climate. But generally speaking, if you could only pack ONE SHIRT, and you're not sure where you're going to end up, what kind of shirt would you pack?

Do you favor these 100% nylon "excursion" shirts available nowadays? Or do you prefer other materials? What would be your perfect shirt? Please explain your answer.

Rick
09-25-2008, 07:15 AM
Depends on the season. The thing that makes cotton such a bad risk in the winter makes it excellent in hot environments. Cotton in summer, wool in winter.

Sourdough
09-25-2008, 07:18 AM
If price is no object. I'll take the FILSON Guide shirt. Real men, don't have seasons, real men have hard winter, and semi-hard winter.:rolleyes:

crashdive123
09-25-2008, 07:30 AM
Gotta agree with Rick on type of material being dependent on climate. I'd sure hate wearing my long sleeve wool shirts in a tropical or desert climate.

klkak
09-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Who wears only one shirt? Even in the summer I wear an undershirt and an over shirt.

tsitenha
09-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Its the one on your back when you got yourself in a "survival" situation.
(cotton T, light wool jackshirt)
Klak is right, layers.

nell67
09-25-2008, 12:31 PM
Who wears only one shirt? Even in the summer I wear an undershirt and an over shirt.

Uh,me,I usually only wear one shirt,a tank top normally,cuz I have "extra material" on under that anyway,however,when I go to the woods,I do add a long sleeved shirt on over that.

Sourdough
09-25-2008, 02:28 PM
It is of some note, that "ground pounders", what we call the hunting guides that do the field guiding, as apposed to the management/contract signing guides.

Anyway "ground Pounders" spend months continuously in the spike camps, they get the cheapest clothes, that somewhat fit, at the salvation army store, or the base camp rag bag.

I guess what I want to communicate, is in Alaska in the fall, living in a tent for 90 days, you are going to be Cold, Wet, Miserable, period; whether you have a $200.- Filson Guide Shirt, or a $1.00 Salvation Army shirt.

Remy, could do a interesting piece on why we are seduced by shopping, and our brain thinks shopping for outdoor gear is the same as being outdoors. We all do it.:rolleyes:

nell67
09-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Maybe Remy could rell me why I hate shopping so much,my friends don't think I am normal!

Jericho117
09-25-2008, 02:55 PM
Im usually out and about in the woods without one, but just a good old green or brown cotton shirt, not those ones that stretch easily.

Sourdough
09-25-2008, 03:20 PM
Maybe Remy could rell me why I hate shopping so much,my friends don't think I am normal!

Your not NORMAL, that is why we like you. And it took me a long time to figure out "extra material", damn I am dense.:rolleyes:

nell67
09-25-2008, 03:30 PM
Your not NORMAL, that is why we like you. And it took me a long time to figure out "extra material", damn I am dense.:rolleyes:

LMAO!!!!! hopeak,I just spit apricots on my computer,that was too funny!

Guess I shoulda just called it a slingshot,everyone knows what that is!:rolleyes:

chiye tanka
09-26-2008, 03:05 PM
Layers are great, but if you try that in FL in the summer, you'll fall out.

Gray Wolf
09-26-2008, 11:12 PM
Hemp or cotton shirts in the hot weather, Wool in the cold. My hemp shirts last much longer than my cotton, but cost more. So I won't use those in the glades, cause they would just get all torn up. I'll pick up short and long sleeve T's when they're on sale for $1 or $2. I go through to many of them.