PDA

View Full Version : canned foods

wareagle69
08-25-2007, 12:56 PM
sticking with my food theme here's another

going thru my cupboards today realizing there is some cans I've purchased but haven't used in at least two yrs, Ive called maple leaf foods and gotten some codes trying to get a hold of primo foods to find out theres, have to get rid of allot of cans what a waste, good news i bought them all on special.

Sarge47
08-25-2007, 01:08 PM
sticking with my food theme here's another

going thru my cupboards today realizing there is some cans I've purchased but haven't used in at least two yrs, Ive called maple leaf foods and gotten some codes trying to get a hold of primo foods to find out theres, have to get rid of allot of cans what a waste, good news i bought them all on special.

My wife marks the date on top of canned goods and other stuff like bags of pasta, whatever, then, periodically, goes through the pantry throwing out "old" stuff!;)

wareagle69
08-25-2007, 01:33 PM
that's my new system if i bring something in today i mark it with an 87 eight month seventh yr to keep it simple.

carcajou garou
08-25-2007, 08:36 PM
wareagle69, how long have the cans expired? what is the limits?
We have eaten from cans that are well stored and not rusty or bulged that are 3-4 years old, chili.

wareagle69
08-26-2007, 08:47 AM
most of them are two to three yrs old, now i am sure that you could probably double the time line that the manufacturer has labeled on their cans, just wondering who has eaten a four or five yr old can of tuna or corned beef, honestly the soups i am not concerned about just the flaky chicken, and turkey and wild salmon essentially the sandwich meats that you wouldn't cook like veg or mushroom soups

Tony uk
08-26-2007, 11:16 AM
Cooking them hot enough for long enough and they should still be eddible

wareagle69
08-26-2007, 01:58 PM
i agree w/ the soups but who's gonna do that w/ sandwich spread..

Tony uk
08-26-2007, 02:14 PM
I would, then let it cool and it should be fine :)

Fog_Harbor
08-26-2007, 05:13 PM
There have been instances where food packers such as Del Monte or some such have stored cans for decades, openthen up, tested the contents and found them to be perfectly edible.

I have personally eaten "K" and "C" rations that were ten to fifteen years old.

But the trick is, when you decide on the amount to be stored, just rotate the foods, eat the oldest first, before it goes 'bad'. Thereby forcing you to buy foods that you eat anyway, and not keeping them too long.

The down side about storing any type of food, is that food losses some of its nutritional value after awhile (mostly vitamin content), but not enough for you to worry about.

HOP
08-29-2007, 09:23 AM
I have had one can of c-rats back in 72 that the applesause was black and use to fight forest fires in Calif. and they feed us old c-rats all were fine . The sniff test is best some thing old is proably going to have a bad oder or color and bulge. It has been sugest by storage types to try to rotate you stuff to the table. On a good note I have never heard of a bad can of spam, how about you? I beleive that dry or dydrated stuff stores so much better nitrogen packing these realy extends these.