PDA

View Full Version : stove

WildGoth
08-24-2007, 10:43 PM
how would you guys make a stove i know that if you have a pail and use some sticks you came hang it over the fire but not everyone will be carrying a pail into the woods

Sarge47
08-24-2007, 10:49 PM
how would you guys make a stove i know that if you have a pail and use some sticks you came hang it over the fire but not everyone will be carrying a pail into the woods

Yo WG, man, you're really taking the long, hard road to do all this. once again go out and find an older Boy Scout Handbook, or buy the Military survival book advertised on the homepage here, you'll save yourself a lot of grief trying to get all this info 2nd or 3rd hand.;)

FVR
08-25-2007, 12:08 AM
I picked a little stove up at a yardsale. It is one of the fold ups, not big at all. Unfold, build a little fire in it, wala, stove.

Pers. I will just stick with using rocks and sticks.

WildGoth
08-25-2007, 07:00 AM
yeah im going to check out a couple book stores this weekend for the books

smokelessfire
08-25-2007, 11:11 AM
i once travelled with the rainbow people, and they had kitchen camps, where they provided the food for the gathering. they made unbelievable ovens from mud and rocks. they were six feet tall, had rock shelves for pots and baking pans, etc. and a chimney. i never had chocolate chip cookies so good!! well, if u don't need such extravagance, maybe just 4 flat rocks in the shape of a box, and hot coals pushed inside. voila!

wareagle69
08-25-2007, 11:27 AM
i know of the rainbow ppl they came thru flagstaff one summer(probably more times)they were hanging off this bus most of them nekked some barely dressed, my freind chris worked at a pizza shop where we would go eat and sit on the front porch soaking up the atmosphere the rainbows would wait till we finished our pizza them zoom in like seagulls for the crusts

Fog_Harbor
08-26-2007, 05:45 PM

http://journeytoforever.org/edu_hobostove.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobo_stove

Hope this helps. I've used one, and they're actually fairly efficient.

http://wings.interfree.it/html/nomad.html

http://wings.interfree.it/html/main.html

Sarge47
08-26-2007, 07:47 PM
One survival book I have shows a stove that's simply a tin-can with some holes poked in it and is using pine sap for fuel. I've made stoves out of #10 tin cans that I've gotten from resturants, I own an esbit stove that I've bought for a few bucks, I've got the Hank Roberts Mini III backpacking stove, I've got a Coleman mountaineering stove that runs on propane that I bought at a yard sale for $3, I've got both a Coleman and a Brinkman 2 burner Propane camp stoves. What exactly are you looking for here?:confused:

Fog_Harbor
08-26-2007, 08:06 PM
The only stove I actually have is for my car kit - it's one of the ones that restaurants use for tableside cooking. Cost me $15.00, and the fuel is butane at about a buck a can. It'll boil a quart of water in about four minutes, and the cans of butane will run between an hour and a half to two hours.

carcajou garou
08-27-2007, 07:16 PM
Locate a small/med flat stone slab to use as a cooking area, set it stable on some stones at each end and build your fire underneath. Many fancy restaurant use stone broiling. Not to good for soups/stews without a container but great to warm of broil.
With a curved stone you could put liquids in the hollow
Make sure they are not river or lake stones as the heat may expand way to fast and explode the stone.

HOP
09-04-2007, 09:00 AM
The stove that slips over the army canteen cup is basicly a hobo stove. I have several types of stoves ie Alchol burner, Tommy coo.ker(nesbit)The fold up small a-frame type that you feed wood to An interesting on is a swis(I think) kit with pan alchol burner all in one but to be honest a fire betwen two safe rocks or green logs would probably get er done.

lumpy
09-04-2007, 12:01 PM
I'm putting together a bug-home bag for as little money as I can get away with.I've got a can of gelled methanol(Sterno)in the bag.Cost me 50 cents.I consider a heat source for my food in this particular kit as a luxury.Anyway,I ran a little test this past Saturday.The outside temp.was about 85F.It took 35 minutes to heat a 18.5 ounce can of soup to comfort(not to boiling).I was pleasantly suprised.I thought it would take longer.Of course I don't know how the Sterno would have performed in much colder conditions.
Like sarge mentioned,I'm also keeping my eyes open for a yard sale bargain as a replacement.In the meantime,the Sterno will do.

carcajou garou
09-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Lumpy, I use a gelled alcohol stove and a product genericaly called "Heat" and it seems fatser than the Sterno of my youth. The stove is a folding unit by Coglan(sp) and the can sits in the center, pots or pans are well supported.
I also keep one in my vehicle for winter (with a window opened of course)

RobertRogers
10-11-2007, 05:05 PM
Yep, a simple hobo stove made out of a metal coffee can works great

Merlin
10-15-2007, 11:21 PM

Well I will have to agree with Sarge47 about the book and even as I look into the crystal ball I do not see what you are asking its not clear to me a foggy question but you should try the links provided by fog_harbor if it is a test question then what do we have to work with???