PDA

View Full Version : Stealing Food from others....SHOOO get out of here....!

Sourdough
09-17-2008, 01:42 AM
.....Last night, I had not seen the rabbit, and at first thought I was being attacked by a blurry/shadow. I flinched, and was supprised how quickly, and how far I flinched. The small hawk, maybe 20-24" wingspan came from behind me, and nailed a rabbit not 30 feet in front of me and slightly to my right side. The hawk could not lift off with the half grown rabbit, because they were in tallish grass/willow brush. I thought I could take that rabbit from the hawk, as it labored to get free of the brush, but I just backed up and watched.

I think a lot of food could be taken from other animals. Maybe 30 times I have pushed grizzlies off of Moose or Caribou, twice it was filmed, and many other times it was photographed. NOTE: It is "NOW" illegal to do this....Period....Illegal, at least in a hunting situation, the law Say's, "that once it has been taken control of by a bear it belongs to the bear".

One morning I pushed about 20 wolves off of a Grizzly hide we had removed the previous night. Note: The wolves did not make any effort to keep what was left of the bear hide, and retreated easily when pushed.

I have found dozens of brown bear cubs only partly eaten, or not eaten at all, and buried, the meat was still good. This will be in June through Sept.

In open terrain like the Brooks Range, or any place above timberline if you see lots of magpie's or ravens raising a raucous they are on food, but be careful, as the raucous is because something bigger is enjoying it.

In the winter I find a fair amount of partly eaten animals, this is most likely because the kill stands out against the white of the snow, or maybe because I am inclined to follow predator tracks to see what if anything happened last night in the wilderness.

My point is that even if it looks like the good/choice cuts have been taken, sometimes something is better than nothing.

crashdive123
09-17-2008, 05:41 AM
Good point on the sometimes something is better than nothing. When you say "push" how do you normally do that? Just loud noises - maybe a shot from your rifle?

bulrush
09-17-2008, 09:17 AM
You have magpies up in Alaska? I thought that was a European bird. (Magpies are the black and white bird on that window cleaner commercial.)

Sourdough
09-17-2008, 09:55 AM
You have magpies up in Alaska? I thought that was a European bird. (Magpies are the black and white bird on that window cleaner commercial.)

Yes, Magpies, Whiskyjacks, Canadian Jays, Steller Jays, sometimes Blue Jays.

Sourdough
09-17-2008, 10:51 AM
Crash: Pushing.......? You have most likely seen footage of the Masai pushing cheetah off of kills. Think of it this way, if danger approaches, people or other animals generally default to retreating slowly and grudgingly. When pushing you get to close for their comfort.

When I do it, or when I did it. I would be 100% ready, Mind and Body. I just talk and move toward them, save the loud yell for later if needed.

Sometimes they will fake charge several times, and sometimes they will just run off, sometimes they will stand sideways, generally with their right side toward you and bounce on their front feet, and hop from side to side, popping their teeth and load forcefully exhales, that sound like Whoosh or Soooosh. Once I start the push, I never back up, never. Often the bear will retreat just 25 or 50 yards and lay down, and watch you work on the kill. This is high stress work if you are alone, as you get engrossed in the the process of removing and retrieving the hide or meat, and forget that the bear is laying over there watching. Oddly I have never had them try to push me off, they wait till I leave then return to the kill.

As you know I have been very reluctant to talk about this in the past, as I do not want the new thrill sport to be pushing.

I have never fired a shot when pushing. "READY" yes, 100% ready. But what works is never give an inch, and if they come at you, you take a step toward them, and Yell at them like you are mad at them, you don't ever want to be off balance, watch the footing in front of you, you do not want to trip or fall.

This all sounds dangerous, but it is done in the light of day. What is dangerous is on dark pouring rain nights having several Brown Bears in camp, because you loose the use of your ears with the wind and rain.

I have never pushed a Black Bear, never had to. Always Brown/Grizzly Bears.

crashdive123
09-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the explanation.

Proud American
09-20-2008, 11:36 PM
I would give the bear a million feet. That is too scary for me but then again i am not in to extreme sports but i see your fear.Intresting though useing psycology on animals that is truly intresting.

Sourdough
09-21-2008, 12:49 AM
I don't understand the, "Using psychology on animals". I don't see any psychology in it, it is just pure bluff, the bears bluff each other all the time, to intimidate the other animal that it is safer to leave the area. Frankly I am amazed that it works for a little human to bluff a 600 to 900 pound bear. The bear does not understand that you have a elephant gun.

someguy1980
09-21-2008, 01:26 AM
1) NOTE: It is "NOW" illegal to do this....Period....Illegal, at least in a hunting situation, the law Say's, "that once it has been taken control of by a bear it belongs to the bear".

2) My point is that even if it looks like the good/choice cuts have been taken, sometimes something is better than nothing.

1. Do not care. I'm forever tired of the government dictating every aspect of existence.

2. Exactly, something is always better than nothing. And if you can gather enough 'somethings' you can make a feast. I've often (in non-survival situations) scrapped together little bits of something to make a much larger and more satisfying something. However most importantly, if you don't try you'll never succeed.