PDA

View Full Version : eating a tree

wareagle69
09-14-2008, 08:08 PM
ok kids i took ricks suggestion (what was i thinking) about eating a tree also bradford angier has done this but i tired and must be missing something i used poplar i skinned off the outer bark and tried chewing the "inner bark"
well ya know when ya eat an asprin and don't get water fast enough the same taste i seem to recall that poplar and willow are in the same family and you can chew on poplar for pain but it tasted like crap and wook wasn't very edible in my opinion, tooo bad cuz i was hoping to fill up on the stuff since it waas so plentiful

RobertRogers
09-15-2008, 09:32 AM
Here is one way to do it:

Eating a tree (http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/edible-pine-bark/)

marberry
09-15-2008, 09:35 AM
tried eating a birch tree once , threw up all the inner bark.

RobertRogers
09-16-2008, 07:01 AM
tried eating a birch tree once , threw up all the inner bark.

How were the roots?

erunkiswldrnssurvival
09-16-2008, 10:24 AM
I normaly look to make tea and ground, roasted Root barks. Pine tree root Bark can be striped then crushed in shallow cold water to release the sugars. A form of "Sweet Water" it makes an extreemly good drink that is full of vitamins. roasting and Grinding the barks breaks down the fiberous and woody material and allows the release of nutrients.

trax
09-16-2008, 12:14 PM
so you guys have basically gone from wolf pack to beaver pack?

crashdive123
09-16-2008, 02:59 PM
......or termites.

Tony uk
09-16-2008, 03:01 PM
......or termites.

........ or possibly Wood Lice

crashdive123
09-16-2008, 03:17 PM
........ or possibly Wood Lice

I get that a lot from some of the older country folk around. When I show them a picture of a termite their response is usually similar.....How come they put the wrong lable on that picture? Them are wood lice. My response?

Yes sir. Sign here and I'll get started killing your wood lice.

snakeman
09-16-2008, 07:58 PM
I have eaten the shoots, resin, and needles of a pine. They all taste bad but the needles are good to chew on. You can roast and grind the inner bark to make flour(I wonder how that would taste)

bulrush
09-17-2008, 09:20 AM
Termites are not wood lice. Wood lice are isopods related to rolly pollies, termites are not. But yes, there's lots of different regional names for animals, plants, and other things. Which is why we use scientific names to be accurate.

crashdive123
09-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Termites are not wood lice. Wood lice are isopods related to rolly pollies, termites are not. But yes, there's lots of different regional names for animals, plants, and other things. Which is why we use scientific names to be accurate.

You are correct. Woodlice are not related to subterranean termites. My reference was that some of the elderly rural folk refer to the termites as woodlice. Sorry for the confusion.

Ole WV Coot
09-17-2008, 06:32 PM

I thought a rolly pollie was a sow bug. Don't know the scientific name but Spectricide makes them go rolly up.

trax
09-18-2008, 04:54 PM
I have eaten the shoots, resin, and needles of a pine. They all taste bad but the needles are good to chew on. You can roast and grind the inner bark to make flour(I wonder how that would taste)

Probably taste a lot like pine bark, just a guess though.

wareagle69
09-18-2008, 08:15 PM
well this concept has really gotten into my head, i mean think about it whats around us that we can readily identify(like as a tree not individual types that comes later) especially in the winter when all else is either buried to not growing, really got to do some intense research here

erunkiswldrnssurvival
09-18-2008, 08:44 PM
well this concept has really gotten into my head, i mean think about it whats around us that we can readily identify(like as a tree not individual types that comes later) especially in the winter when all else is either buried to not growing, really got to do some intense research here yea Because you have to learn to identify edible tree and weed by the Buds, and seed pods or leafless stems,ect... thats alot to know
But by getting out into the field to discover,you will learn quickly

wareagle69
09-18-2008, 08:50 PM
well yea i can id a tree in the winter just fine that actually came from heating my house with a wood stove learning to id all the logs in the wood pile just based on a small piece, but just trying to figure out the rest,(hard typing with a parrot running around my keyboard)

crashdive123
09-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Pirates had the same problem.

wareagle69
09-18-2008, 08:55 PM
haha very funny

vanguard1
09-18-2008, 09:32 PM
Are you eating it raw? My beliefs are that you boil any parts (except leaves) before consuming..

erunkiswldrnssurvival
09-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Many trees contain massive tannins, boiling is a nessesary step toward preperation. some buds are further prossesed by roasting until crunchy and then grinding into flour.
preferences play a big role in the prep portion. its much up to what you like and your nintended usage.

Jericho117
09-19-2008, 11:15 PM
The only edible trees I pay much attention to are Birch, which I sometimes strip thin layers of the inner bark, boiling them into soft noodles, Pine which I find makes a great additive to stews when inner bark is dried and grounded up with my grind stone. Or sometimes I just eat the inner bark raw. Don't strip to much bark off one tree, or it could kill it. Maple provides great raw edible inner bark, but I mostly use it for cordage.

Jericho117
09-19-2008, 11:18 PM
Tannin can also be removed by placing it in a net and laying it in the currents of a fast flowing cool creek for 2 days or more. I recently tried this method on some oak acorns ( not fully grown), but boiling is somewhat better, retaining liquid in which can be used in washing wounds and mouth sores.

BenG2813
09-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Here is one way to do it:

Eating a tree (http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/edible-pine-bark/)

I really like that site.