PDA

View Full Version : Hay Canada, Catch my bird house!

pgvoutdoors
09-14-2008, 06:50 PM
I'm getting beat by 70 mph winds from the south. Reminisce of hurricane Ike. Most of the leaves on my trees and my bird house have blown across Lake Erie. :eek:

pgvoutdoors
09-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Here we go, the power is starting to go and the cable TV/Internet connections is also fading in and out. No rain, just a lot of wind. We had a day of rain yesterday though. The weather service is forecasting high winds until at least midnight. So far nothing to serious going on. It's hot and windy and the trees are taking a beating.

pgvoutdoors
09-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Just a quick look

RangerXanatos
09-14-2008, 07:39 PM
That looks rough. Stay safe!

pgvoutdoors
09-14-2008, 07:47 PM
I just lost my water. I have city water, whats up.

crashdive123
09-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Power to the pumping station.

wareagle69
09-14-2008, 08:16 PM
Here we go, the power is starting to go and the cable TV/Internet connections is also fading in and out. No rain, just a lot of wind. We had a day of rain yesterday though. The weather service is forecasting high winds until at least midnight. So far nothing to serious going on. It's hot and windy and the trees are taking a beating.

some guys have all the luck, hey btw do you know where your building control valve is? water shut off valve in normal speak well if ya do shut it off cuz ya can get a reverse flow from negative pressure that will empty your water tank and also the pressure of water coming back on can cause problems so shut it off and open slowly periodicly until full pressure again

pgvoutdoors
09-15-2008, 03:24 PM
Well the night was a little rough but all is well. The trees took a lot of damage and the water went out for a while. We now have to boil the tap water until things clear up. There's power outages all over, they say it may take a week to get everything back on line. This is mainly because of a lack of lineman do to the fact the power company had already sent crews to Texas for their recovery. About half the time a hurricane hits the Gulf, we get a jet stream of after effects through here.

Anyway, it's nice today. Cool and calm!
I feel sorry for those who took the hurricane head on, I've been in two my self and it's no fun. i wish them God's Speed and all the best...

pgvoutdoors
09-15-2008, 03:53 PM
For those of you that read my blog know that I'm starting to lose my belief in peoples ability to handle a crisis. A little while ago I went to the Post Office to mail a package. When I got there I saw that the power was out. The lady behind the counter said that they may not have power restored for a few days and until then they were unable to conduct any transactions. I would have to go to the next town over, 25 minutes away, to mail my package. I told her that wouldn't be a problem and as I started to leave a gentleman spoke up. He said that it was unsatisfactory to make him go to another post office and that he wanted to speak to the person in charge. She gave him the best answer possible, "that would be God, sir". I just smiled and went on my way.

davef
09-15-2008, 04:24 PM
...She gave him the best answer possible, "that would be God, sir". I just smiled and went on my way.

Great answer. I'm afraid that my answer wouldn't have been as courteous.

Glad to see that you are ok.

Cheers.
Dave

crashdive123
09-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Good to hear you're doing OK.

nell67
09-15-2008, 09:19 PM
PVG,
My power has been out for over 24 hours,just got it back on this evening from the same high winds you just got,the wind was clocked at 81 miles an hour here,trees down everywhere.

I was in town when it hit,and when I got to within a mile of where I live there were 7 trees down over the road and on the power lines,backtracked,and tried 5 other roads and each of them was blocked with downed trees.

Finally made it back out to the highway,and drove east to the next county and was able to get here "the backway"slow going and watched 3 or 4 huge trees either crack (that is an erie sound by the way) or just be completely uprooted while passing by them,believe me,I was talkin' to the man upstairs ALOT.

Been out all day cutting trees off the roads,and for elderly neighbors.

They are saying that it will take most of the week to restore all the power,and to top all that off,gas prices went up 50 cents a gallon today in the county I live in,and south of here between me and Louiseville it is reported to be$6.99 a gallon.....:mad::mad::mad:

crashdive123
09-15-2008, 09:28 PM
Glad to hear you're doing OK Nell. Looks like gas is a bit tough to get all over. About half of the stations in town have been out since Saturday.

nell67
09-15-2008, 09:31 PM
At least the governor of Kentucky was smart enough to pass an anti-gouging law before Ike hit . The prices of gas,food and building supplieswon't rise there like they are here,and believe me there are alot of people b****ing here right now......

crashdive123
09-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Florida has had that for quite some time now. There were a few stations that raised their prices from about 3.58 to over 6 bucks. It was fairly short lived from what I understand.

laughing beetle
09-16-2008, 12:24 AM
Central NY got it good too. Couple big chunks of tree came down in the backyard. I spent all morning and a good chunk of the afternoon cleaning up. But the wood will come in handy for camping.:D

crashdive123
09-16-2008, 07:02 AM
Glad to hear you're OK LB.