PDA

View Full Version : Problems with electricity-free fridge

wildWoman
09-13-2008, 04:45 PM
We encountered an unexpected problem with our watertight barrel that is tied to the floating dock and serves as our fridge now: I had bought some whipping cream, the stuff that comes in a can. We had a bit of a storm the other day and apparently the motion of the dock in the water was enough to shake up the whipping cream...cream all over the fridge and now only a flat dribble comes out of the can :( There go my fantasies of hot chocolate with whipping cream, cake with whipping cream...On the other hand, maybe a good way to make butter?!

Rick
09-13-2008, 06:36 PM
Had you removed the protective cover? I can't imagine why rocking the can would cause it to release unless the cover was removed and the nozzle came in contact with something. You should be able to shake the pee waddin's out of the can and not have it release any of the contents.

As for butter? I doubt it unless it's actually dairy based. Most of that stuff is not.

crashdive123
09-13-2008, 06:58 PM
......or you could hop in the barrel for a whipped cream bath.

Rick
09-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Well, ain't you the kinky one?

crashdive123
09-13-2008, 07:20 PM
What........doesn't everybody.......never mind.

wildWoman
09-13-2008, 08:57 PM
...oh yeah, and then stay in there as bear bait or what.
No, we didn't remove that cover thingie from the can, so maybe the can was shot anyway?! No surprise...a good portion of the food you buy here is either moldy ("fresh" produce), almost or already run off, or has something else wrong with it. Last year we bought about 12 jars of Nutella which all turned out to have disgusting little goblets of congealed grease in them. Realized it too late. Anyway, sounds like giving the whipped cream another chance should work out then...had never bought that stuff before.

crashdive123
09-13-2008, 09:03 PM
Wild Woman - here's some that you won't have to worry about putting in your barrel fridge. I've never tried it, but might do the trick for you. http://www.theswap.com/cookbook1/sefer.cgi?display:952310793-9538.txt

crashdive123
09-14-2008, 06:25 AM
Don't know why I didn't think of it before....Dream Whip. Works well, tastes good.

wildWoman
09-15-2008, 01:55 PM
Thnks for the link...don't have the ingredients. There's always next year!

trax
09-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Only too often, I hear of people wasting perfectly good whipped cream on food or in hot chocolate. Crash was thinking along the right lines....

wildWoman
09-15-2008, 05:42 PM
yeah, yeah, I can just see your guys' households...
"brrring" (doorbell)
Mrs Crash/Trax opening the door.
"Hi, I'm a long lost friend of your husband's, is he in?"
"Errr...he's just cleaning the fridge - Honey, are you still naked and covered in whipped cream?!"