PDA

View Full Version : Fish Stock

pgvoutdoors
09-13-2008, 01:53 PM
A good fish stock can be used in making a lot of dishes. Here's one that I like.

2 pounds bones from a white-fleshed non-oily fish, including heads if possible. ( Be sure to remove the gills from the heads)
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped celery
2 cups coarsely chopped onions
1 Garlic clove, crushed and unpeeled
2 cups chopped leeks
3 sprigs of Thyme
1 Bay Leaf
8 cups Water
1 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon Peppercorns

Rinse bones and fish heads.
Combine all ingredients into a kettle and bring to a boil.
Let simmer for 20 minutes.
Strain and discard the solids.

Leftover stock can be frozen for later use.:)

Nwy
09-18-2008, 10:32 PM
This describes very closely how my family made fish stock, although our recipe was no doubt a lot simpler, no garlic, leeks or white wine.
Being from an Acadian family, traditionally there are a lot less embellishments than other cultures in our foods. Most foods are very simple in their preparation and in their design. I'm only now learning how to use some more exotic spices. The one thing I remember quite acutely is that we used veggies, or other whole foods to produce different flavours in the food we ate, and a lot of wild herbs as well. Most of which I wouldn't be able to tell you their true names, but my favourite was a small broad arrow shaped leaf that grew along the concrete steps outside my house. My mother and grandmother used it in everything from salads, soups, marinades, stews and even put a few sprigs of it into bread sometimes. We called it vineagar leaf.

Shaniun
10-06-2008, 07:00 PM
I have always boiled down the skin and bones from our salmon catches, skimmed off most of the oil, and then pressure canned the resultant stock for later use. Homemade stock of honest ingredients (as opposed to salt and msg) makes a world of difference to food!

Runs With Beer
10-17-2008, 09:36 PM
Can you make this fish stock fron fresh water fish. What is it composed of?