PDA

View Full Version : favorite places

huntermj
09-13-2008, 01:34 PM
We all have one, mine is a wash in Utah outside Moab. You can see for miles in all directions, huge rock fins jutting out off the ground and sun sets that look like the sky is on fire. all this and the only sound is to be heard is the wind. Sometimes its not the location so much as what happened there. So i would like to hear about your favorite place, where and why.

Sourdough
09-13-2008, 02:11 PM
My backyard. Lots of bears, moose, caribou, Mountain Goats, creeks, waterfalls, world class rainbow trout and salmon fishing, Pure fresh water, warm cabin, 9 cords of split cured firewood, Model "perfect" outhouse. Tonka toys (D-8 dozer and Case 450B dozer). 200 yard rifle range, with a 8'X10' shooting barn (unheated). In the heart of the Chugach National Forest. And the view ain't to ugly.

pgvoutdoors
09-13-2008, 02:22 PM
hopeak, can I live in your back yard?

wareagle69
09-13-2008, 02:25 PM
i live in my favorite place lots of peace and quiet and wilderness and my little homestead, althought the forests surounding flagstaff arizona come in a close second.

huntermj
09-13-2008, 02:33 PM
hopeak
Sounds like a great place to wake up everyday, I'm jealous

Sourdough
09-13-2008, 02:39 PM
hopeak
Sounds like a great place to wake up everyday, I'm jealous

The world is full of GREAT places, each person creates his own reality. In the book "Illusions" by Richard Bach, he talks about the mythical creatures that cling to the safety of there known universe, (the river bottom) and refuse to risk letting go.

Death stalks us all, we have exactly so many days left to live. And yet people live as if they have lots of time. Is today the day I die....? Did I use my time wisely, or squander it working to buy electronic gadgets

FVR
09-13-2008, 04:43 PM
Hands down, where I live.

The foothills of the App. mountains.

Mountains across the street, on top of Hanging Rock aka Spooky Mnt., along with the abundance of game is a most beautiful view.

I have deer, turkey, and a mess of other critters in the back yard.

Across the street is where the deer, wild hogs, turkeys, bears, and most of the same critters that inhabit my backyard.

Another fav. place, though I have not been there in many years, way too long, is the Patapsco river, in Jan., in a duck boat hunting ducks. Or waist high in the surf of the Atlantic plugging for stripers.

wareagle69
09-13-2008, 05:09 PM
i am getting a greater respect for you as the days go by hopeak i have read much of richard bach
i am reminded of one of the most profound quotes i have ever heard

"Because we do not know when we will die we think of life as an inexhaustable well and yet everything happens only a certain number of times and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you could not even conceive of your life without it, perhaps 4 or 5 more times perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise perhaps 20 and yet it all seems so limitless"

brandon lee

just days before his death

Sourdough
09-13-2008, 05:47 PM
Richard Bach used to come to Alaska to teach, He is a joy to be with. Even more so if one is a fellow driver of seaplanes.

Dan Millman, "The peacefull warrior" would come up also and teach small groups.

wareagle69
09-13-2008, 05:51 PM
read it, and i'm starting to resent you

crashdive123
09-13-2008, 07:32 PM
Respect.......resent.......sometimes hard to tell the difference eh?

Rick
09-13-2008, 07:35 PM
I think Hopeak's right. Each person creates his own reality. Sometimes my favorite place is along the White River near this giant virgin sycamore tree. Sometimes it's where ever my grandkids are. Sometimes it's where ever the dog is. Sometimes it's just where ever I am.

Sourdough
09-13-2008, 07:51 PM
read it, and i'm starting to resent you

Wareagle, You ever read, "The Little Prince" by, Antoine de Saint Exupery....?

You can read it online....If I had a child or grandchild I would read it to them daily. Maybe the best book ever written about relatedness and relationships, and enlightenment.

For those who don't know it is a children's book for anyone under 143 years old.

wareagle69
09-13-2008, 08:15 PM
dang son now you're getting to me
i read that in grade 4 but it wasn't until a very special friend in pheonix gave me a copy which she signed with a message for me did i understand it, see my friend i am a true samurai well versed in the many ways of life there are many layers to the feathered one but like i said your stock has gone way up with me my friend

Sourdough
09-13-2008, 09:02 PM
I told a lady in utah about the Little Prince, she was a first grade teacher, and she read it to the children, but she kept crying when she read it. Well soon it was the only book the kids would let her read to them, day after day.

klkak
09-14-2008, 01:21 AM
My favorite place is Prince Williams Sound Alaska. It is the most beautiful and most deadly place I've ever lived in. I wish I could describe it but there just aren't words that could do it Justis.

wareagle69
09-14-2008, 07:43 AM
i was watching 48 hours mystery last night and they showed some off the most beautiful and rugged and harsh landscapes that would intigue allot of people but on the same hand it also gathers allot of people trying to hide from the law in the bush and in the city, and while running into some one in that vast of a wilderness is probably remote, how do you alsakans find the cities to be?

Rick
09-14-2008, 08:38 AM
Hopeak/Klkak - What's your opinion of the Wyoming Hills? You don't get many folks in there. That's go to be a pretty pristine place.

Sourdough
09-14-2008, 10:43 AM
Hopeak/Klkak - What's your opinion of the Wyoming Hills? You don't get many folks in there. That's go to be a pretty pristine place.

All of Alaska is pristine, If you walk to get there. It is only where people can get to using combustion engines (cars, swamp'buggys, ATV, Aircraft, Motor boats, etc.) that are defaced.

If you get off the published trails, there is no sign of man. I have never understood why people leave the city (Anchorage) to get away, and go to a developed camp ground and camp with 160 other wahoo's who pretend they are away.

Anyway, the experts on the Wyoming Hills are those two girls who got lost there this summer, with a topo map. The summer employees at Denali.

We call that area the Savage River Country, or West Healy area. You might read "The Wilderness of Denali", by Charles Sheldon. He spent two years in that country 100 years ago. It is rolling foothills, easy walking once on top. It is a game rich area, and good grayling fishing.

You doing a walk'about 09'......? Your son would love that country. Lots of bugs in the low areas, stay high.

sh4d0wm4573ri7
09-14-2008, 03:45 PM
My alltime favorite place: The Boundry Waters Canoe Area Over a million acres of pristine beuty no glass , no cans , no wheels , no motors paddle or walk Snowbank Lake is one if not the most favorite spot there it borders northern MN and Canada

Riverrat
09-14-2008, 05:37 PM
I live in my fav place, along the banks of the South West Mirmichi river. It has all I need, lots of wildlife, great fishing, very quite lifestyle, small popultion. There are places around here that have not had a human at then for years. it is nice to go for a walk and not here any machinery of any type.

huntermj
09-14-2008, 09:22 PM
I agree with hopeak , sometimes the best place is where i am right now. as a example i was once in El Salvador with some close friends and we stayed at a hotel on a crater lake. the local women were washing their clothes and children in the water , for some reason it was the most peaceful i have every been. Just people living the way god intended i guess. It was the one of the most beautiful moment i have ever lived.

DOGMAN
09-15-2008, 12:50 AM
My favorite place in the world, is lying in my bed at night, my wife in my arms and thinking about all the wonderful places I've visted, and thinking about all the great people I've known, and how lucky I am to be alive.

trax
09-16-2008, 06:29 PM
I've read the posts in here over and over, and thought about this a lot. Honestly, my favorite place? I've seen some wondrous sights in nature to be sure, but my favorite place? I hope I haven't found it yet.

crashdive123
09-16-2008, 06:56 PM
One of my favorite places - on the bridge of a surfaced submarine in the open ocean right around the time of sunset after having been submerged for over four months.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
09-16-2008, 07:31 PM
My favorite place is a place called Water rock knob in cherokee NC.

Blood Groove
09-16-2008, 08:55 PM
My favorite place is only a little ways from my house. I usually ride up there on teh wekeds and sit for a little while. It's on the very highest point on one side of my valley and from there you can see the entire valley. Not only is it a great view but right next to is si the weridest little forest type thing where all these birch trees are growing within feet from each-other. They're nice and skinny, and easy to get your hand around,so I climb to the top of them, and bend it till I can grab on to another tree. I just keep on going until I fall. It's amazing fun.