PDA

View Full Version : Saving Fall Seeds

Rick
09-09-2008, 07:50 PM
It's about that time of year (may already be in some places) that you need to start thinking about harvesting the last of the seasons fruit and storing those seeds for next year. Here are a couple of good links for saving your seeds.

Tomatoes:
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/seedsave/2002084456024410.html

Other plants:
http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/hortihints/0008c.html

Dry seeds are essential to keep them from rotting but you can make a homemade silica to absorb moisture in your seeds by using 1 tablespoon of powdered milk wrapped in a paper towel. Add the towel to your seeds stored in the jar to help control any remaining moisture. It's also a good moisture control for other items as well!

crashdive123
09-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Good links. I harvested quite a few seeds from the Heirloom Tomatoes we had this year.

Rick
09-09-2008, 07:57 PM
I ordered peppers from Pepper Joe's this year and they threw in some free pimento seeds. I planted those bad boys and they are some of the hottest peppers I've ever eaten! I had one tonight and thought I was gonna have to call the fire department to put me out. Wanted to wallow in a milk bath just to get relief. Boy was it good! I'll be saving some of those for sure.

crashdive123
09-09-2008, 07:59 PM
I love hot food. The only problem is that as I get older it doesn't love me so much.

RobertRogers
09-11-2008, 10:29 AM
This is ex-seed-ingly important information for anyone preparing for TEOTWAWKI

ryaninmichigan
09-11-2008, 11:26 AM
This is ex-seed-ingly important information for anyone preparing for TEOTWAWKI

Especially if you live in the seedy part of town..

Gray Wolf
09-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Good links, epically the second one for me. I always wondered why my purple Scotch Bonnet pepper (Hybrid plant) seeds were mostly sterile or did not reproduce purple Scotch Bonnet peppers (very, very hot peppers). My tree/bush/plant is 6' tall x 5' in diameter. It's very healthy and has produced an abundance of purple hot peppers year after year. But when I've tried to grow some plants to give to friends, none of the seeds worked, the few that did, produced orange peppers. Now I know why! Thanks Rick

pgvoutdoors
09-14-2008, 12:05 PM
I find this powered milk trick interesting Rick. Do I need to replace it regularly?