PDA

View Full Version : Cast iron pans gotta to love them

tsitenha
09-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Just finished pan frying bread for about 20-25 people, first batch was a little dark (OK I nearly burnt it, wasn't paying attention, forgot to flip the pan bread over in time) but the following batches came out golden brown.
Deep side 14" well seasoned cast iron pan, once the heat is reached a joy to use.

Tony uk
09-09-2008, 04:49 PM
I prefer ones made of alluminium, Lighter, and (for me anyway) just as good

Riverrat
09-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Alluminium better in the field, but cast iron at home....Best pans going.

RobertRogers
09-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Cast iron gives you a little extra iron in the diet, which is good for you.

Aluminum has been linked to a host of health problems - it is actually toxic. Though the amount received from cooking is small, why add to amount of toxins that enter our bodies?

I like titanium in the field, though it is a bit expensive.

Rick
09-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Nothing in the world better than cornbread in a cast iron skillet. Crumbled up in a glass of sweet milk. Now that's livin'!

Tony uk
09-10-2008, 01:49 PM
nothing In The World Better Than Cornbread In A Cast Iron Skillet. Crumbled Up In A Glass Of Sweet Milk. Now That's Livin'!

And Bacon !!!!!!!! :D

sobeit
09-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Nothing in the world better than cornbread in a cast iron skillet. Crumbled up in a glass of sweet milk. Now that's livin'!

sweet milk I thought you were sposed to use buttermilk

Rick
09-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Bleeeeechk!

RBB
09-11-2008, 07:35 AM
"Cast iron pans gotta to love them"

Unless they are in your pack!

Tony uk
09-12-2008, 11:37 AM
"Cast iron pans gotta to love them"

Unless they are in your pack!

lol Although, They would help keep your fitness up :D

tsitenha
09-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Canoe pack really, got rid of all my aluminum cookware a long time ago. Do use a steel skillet otherwise.

skunkkiller
09-12-2008, 06:36 PM
steel is the way to go liter then cast and cooks just as good.

DOGMAN
09-12-2008, 08:09 PM
I love cast iron, it just makes stuff taste better. Jalepeno cornbread in a cast iron skillet- oh yeah man

Chris
09-14-2008, 05:37 PM
from a culinary standpoint cast iron is better as it heats up more evenly and retains the heat. Obviously, you don't want it in your pack if you're not at home.

For a home cook, IMO, you want clad stainless steel, cast iron, and a few nonstick for things like eggs.

pgvoutdoors
09-14-2008, 05:57 PM
steel is the way to go liter then cast and cooks just as good.

WHAT??????? Steel is not even close to cooking like cast iron. Aluminum has stainless steel beat. Short of boiling, steel transfers heat to directly and can burn food easily.

wareagle69
09-14-2008, 07:56 PM
from a culinary standpoint cast iron is better as it heats up more evenly and retains the heat. Obviously, you don't want it in your pack if you're not at home.

For a home cook, IMO, you want clad stainless steel, cast iron, and a few nonstick for things like eggs.

cast iron cooking is an art when i make breaky i will cook the meat first usually a couple of thin slices of roast the add bacon fat then the eggs in the fat, while they are not perfect over easy eggs they are manageable, what i am working on next is cooking in my cast pots making noodles and such w/o sticking

crashdive123
09-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Just keep cooking in em WE. The carbon build up provides a great non-stick surface.

wareagle69
09-14-2008, 08:00 PM
oh yeah now i remember why i came here. do any of you bring cast into the feild, cuz ususally after cooking i boil a bit of water scrub the pan clean then add a bit of oil, but in the feild i don't carry oil so was wondering what others do if they use cast in the feild.

wareagle69
09-14-2008, 08:02 PM
Just keep cooking in em WE. The carbon build up provides a great non-stick surface.

ok they have been in the garage forever just seasoned them yesterday with palerider i usually use a tin pot put love my cast pans so much that i want to learn my pots now

tsitenha
09-15-2008, 09:29 AM
We use pre-seasoned cast iron at home exclusively, on canoe trips again it is cast iron and an iron skillet in some cases.
As far as cleaning the seasoned cast iron or steel skillet, I just scrape/rub the pan with a wooden spatula (made on the spot) and/or a plastic brush, any residue that is left (usually not stuck to the pan). Rinse the pan with hot water and return the pan to the embers for a quick drying and stow away in a canvass bag.
For the next use, we will wipe off any residue that was accumulated and fire up the pan (killing off any potential bacteria etc..) and work in a bit of oil (re-season). Ready for cooking again.
We have never been sick using this method. But try at your own risk;)

skunkkiller
09-16-2008, 09:35 AM
I have never burned anything in my 10 in steel pan . I can cook pancakes to stews or steaks ,fish veggies and soups.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
09-16-2008, 10:57 AM
Cast iron is Great, My Elder folks used to fry corn bread on the stove just before baking
it givesthe corn bread an extra crispy crust and the center stays moist.