PDA

View Full Version : teaching survival

wareagle69
08-22-2007, 08:33 PM
i am currently looking at purchasing 100 acres of remote property, i have been approached by someone to teach primitive skills/survival basics where iwould have acess to 1000 acres in les strouds hometown of huntsville about 2hrs from my current, so thats why i'm looking for suitable up here. i have searched for course outlines, not much out there, i don't want to teach the same way i was taught(rangers) might scare them off, there is so much info to convey in a short amount of time,trying to prioritze would be the issue.
so i am looking for suggestions from you guys(no it's not for u tube or the telly) just to many ppl are approaching me to learn what i know which to me is just scratching the surface but i do have my training and lot's of feild experience plus a 3 month solo jaunt in the mts of arizona. so give me some suggestions please.

FVR
08-22-2007, 09:15 PM
My wife told me I should do this about 8 years ago. My main concern was insurance.

If I was to do it, it would be in a small team, maybe three persons max. Def. need good health record, no high blood press. students, able to walk 3 or 4 miles as a jaunt.

Def. need a physch clearance.

Hmmmmm..................

Sarge47
08-22-2007, 10:49 PM
i am currently looking at purchasing 100 acres of remote property, i have been approached by someone to teach primitive skills/survival basics where iwould have acess to 1000 acres in les strouds hometown of huntsville about 2hrs from my current, so thats why i'm looking for suitable up here. i have searched for course outlines, not much out there, i don't want to teach the same way i was taught(rangers) might scare them off, there is so much info to convey in a short amount of time,trying to prioritze would be the issue.
so i am looking for suggestions from you guys(no it's not for u tube or the telly) just to many ppl are approaching me to learn what i know which to me is just scratching the surface but i do have my training and lot's of feild experience plus a 3 month solo jaunt in the mts of arizona. so give me some suggestions please.

I was gonna make a joke about having a class on how to teach Moose to snore but figured that would not be good 'cause you were being serious...wait a minute, I just did it! Anyway, while I haven't any good info to give you I can't tell how excited I am for you...Now that's a dream worth following Brother Wolf!:cool:

DEET
08-23-2007, 02:18 AM
I too am an instructor so let me give you a little bit of what I learned the hard way.

1. People bore easily and once they are bored they don't retain anything. Make jokes and tell stories. Get the class involved in the lesson.

2. Start with the most important subjects first. You will need class instruction before ever even thinking of going into the feild with your students.

3. The first thing out of your mouth should be tell them who you are and what training and experience you have. They need to know right away that they are dealing with a seasoned professional so they feel confident that what the are about to hear is no BS.

4. Don't be too hard core, remember these people you are teaching know nothing or very little about survival, that is why they are paying you to teach them.

5. Have fun. If you aren't enjoying yourself than your students definitely won't. I have found that people respond to emotions alot more often than I thought when I started this.

Good luck and hope you are very successful, right now I'm only doing classroom instruction I hope to one day have my own swath of land to really give some advanced courses on.

FVR
08-23-2007, 05:34 PM
Will you be handing out an egg and a match?

DEET
08-30-2007, 02:16 AM
Will you be handing out an egg and a match?

:D BWAHAHAHA!!! Hey what happened to that guy? He never gave us any proof this place existed.

ATough
08-30-2007, 11:09 AM
Wow, good luck wareagle69, I hope everything goes perfectly for you.

Sarge47
08-30-2007, 12:32 PM
:D BWAHAHAHA!!! Hey what happened to that guy? He never gave us any proof this place existed.

I heard he decided instead to join TBWN, at least they'd let him carry a knife!:D

ATough
08-30-2007, 01:25 PM
Tbwn??????

Sarge47
08-30-2007, 05:33 PM
Tbwn??????

I forgot, you weren't here when The Bare Wilderness Team showed up. Their web-site is www.barewilderness.com. They're two guys who plan on going into the wilds of Northern Canada in Winter for a month with just the clothes on their backs and their knives. No food, no water, nothing else. Just about everyone here thought they were acting foolish and told them so. "TBWN" stands for "The Bare Wilderness Numptys.":rolleyes:

trax
08-30-2007, 05:35 PM
I heard he decided instead to join TBWN, at least they'd let him carry a knife!:D

they'll probably just take away his egg:eek: :D :D

Sarge47
08-30-2007, 05:44 PM
they'll probably just take away his egg:eek: :D :D

Uh-uh, the match has to go too! And if he wants a cup of milk, good luck!:rolleyes:

Fog_Harbor
08-30-2007, 05:45 PM
I too am an instructor (not survival), and all the above are true. My two cents are these:

People generally have short attention spans, so entertain while you teach.

People generally only remember three main points from a training session, so stick to three, and then practice those three.

If you don't have an answer to a question, just say so, and find out the answer later.

Respect your students.

ATough
08-30-2007, 07:23 PM
sorry I missed that.:p

survivalhike
09-04-2007, 07:41 PM
As someone interested in attending a similar school or class, I think that you need to seperate people based on experience and teach different topics to different people. I already have gone through about 7 books and a thousand articles on the internet about survival, and therefore would require a different curriculum than someone who has never read anything. Not saying that reading is as good as doing but I think you get my point. You could have beginner, moderate, and advanced classes that are tailored to each groups particular needs. That way you can sell the second trip while on the first one, and the third while on the second. If each trip builds on the last one then people will be entertained the entire time and they will want to come back to learn more next time. There is an adventurer inside of everyone, you just have to pry it out. Good luck sir!

the edge
09-27-2007, 01:38 PM
My wife told me I should do this about 8 years ago. My main concern was insurance.

If I was to do it, it would be in a small team, maybe three persons max. Def. need good health record, no high blood press. students, able to walk 3 or 4 miles as a jaunt.

Def. need a physch clearance.

Hmmmmm..................
agreed there.