PDA

View Full Version : Finding antler velvet

wildWoman
09-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Yesterday, I found some moose antler velvet for the very first time. It was still very fresh (moist and bloody), according to the dogs I'd guess that bull preceded us on the trail by maybe 30 to 60 minutes.
We tried later calling that bull in, but no luck. Anyway, good to know there's at least one bull in the neighbourhood!

I bought the "moose bible" (Ecology and Management of North American Moose), as recommended by hopeak and WE; would also highly recommend it to anyone with more than a passing interest in moose. Awesome book, great winter reading.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
09-06-2008, 02:50 PM
My Grandfather used to take me moose hunting,I remember him bagging one that produced 900 LBS. of usable meat.

Rick
09-06-2008, 08:19 PM
And how many pounds of unusable meat?:rolleyes:

erunkiswldrnssurvival
09-06-2008, 08:34 PM
well much of the "Unuseable" weight was bone, fat, hide, all of that stuff gets used for something other than eating the total weight was 1100LBS

Sourdough
09-06-2008, 08:43 PM
And how many pounds of unusable meat?:rolleyes:

There is no such thing as unusable meat.......The birds use part, the wolverines use part, the wolves use part, the bears get part, the porcupines, and mice eat the bones and antlers, the soil digests the fluids and waste not consumed......no pounds are wasted....earth to earth, dust to dust. Life just changes forum.

What yesterday was a moose, today is part of a mouse.

Rick
09-06-2008, 08:50 PM
This (holding up paragraph on paper) is a joke. The important part of a joke is the "punch line" (underlines some words). That would be the punch line. In the joke above the punch line would be, "And how many pounds of unusable meat?". Parump bump. Once the punch line is delivered it sparks something called "uncontrolled laughter". Sometimes referred to as "funny stuff". You can always identify when a punch line is delivered because there will be "uncontrolled laughter" and some will actually say, "That's some 'funny stuff'". Practice reading punch lines. You can find them on the internet. Google jokes. Then, the next time I deliver a "punch line" the proper response would be, "Funny stuff!". Savy?