PDA

View Full Version : Advice on new Henry Big Boy

tsitenha
09-05-2008, 04:33 PM
I just inherited a Henry Big Boy in .45Colt caliber and was wondering if any one had experience with one, or the Henry products in general?

klkak
09-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Henry rifles are a nice gun at a reasonable price. All that have passed through my hands have had very smooth actions and are pretty accurate. I would caution against using really hot loads in them though. If I were you I'd stick to standard pressure loads. Buffalo bore makes a couple of nice standard pressure heavy loads for the .45 colt that should be good for close range hunting as well as a politically correct assault rifle for the home. If your gun is in good shape then take care of it and it should serve you the rest of your life. I'll attach a link the their web site. Bellow is an excerpt from the Buffalo bore site.

Standard Pressure Heavy 45 colt

All of today’s standard 45 colt loads are very anemic. Often featuring a 250 gr. Bullet at around 700 fps.

We knew that we could develop a couple standard pressure 45 colt loads that would feature a 255gr. Gas checked soft cast bullet at around 1,000 fps or a 200gr. JHC (Speer low velocity Gold Dot) at around 1,100fps. We wanted loads that were substantially more powerful than today’s weenie loads, but that could be fired in ANY 45 colt firearm.

Both of these 45 colt loads are designed to be a heavy loading, yet be within standard (SAAMI) pressure. As such, both of these 45 colt loads are safe and recommended to be used IN ANY post-war 45 colt that is in normal working condition. ANY post-war means ANY post-war, so please take my word for it without phoning or emailing me “just to make sure”. I love hearing from and appreciate customers, I really do, but there is no sense using up your or my time answering questions that have already been answered.

These loads are indeed heavy 45 colt loadings. You can fire them in any post-war firearm that is in normal working condition chambered for 45 colt without reservation. These loads will turn your Colt SAA or clone into a powerful carry gun. The cast load (item 3E) is gas checked and will not substantially lead your barrel.

http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#top

hard county
09-08-2008, 07:33 PM
I just inherited a Henry Big Boy in .45Colt caliber and was wondering if any one had experience with one, or the Henry products in general?

I have been considering buying one for my dad for christmas, they make a great saddle gun and are in my opinion the most attractive of its type, they also feel great.