PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried to freeze homemade bread on a stick

Gray Wolf
09-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Has anyone tried to freeze homemade bread on a stick, for later use? I want to try a few new recipes, cook one and freeze the others for later use.

Gray Wolf
09-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Well I made 2 new bread stick recipes. First is a Bacon/Parmesan and the next is a Thyme/ Cheddar/Kalamata Olive. No sugar or salt in either. Going to wrap and freeze one of each, and cook the other two this afternoon. I would really like if the two I freeze will be ok when defrosted and cooked. That would work well for prep'ing for 2-4 people.

trax
09-04-2008, 02:09 PM
My guess is yes....but it's just a guess....but I'm a pretty good guesser...but then the law of averages would suggest that some guesses will have to go wrong because I've been a good guesser...but then...oh shut the he!! up Trax

Gray Wolf
09-04-2008, 02:51 PM
LMAO (cleaning coffee off screen)

Gray Wolf
09-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Well just got done cooking and eating the two Bread on a Stick that I didn't freeze.
The Bacon/Parmesan one didn't turn out as good as I thought it would, going to have to play with that recipe.
The one with Thyme/Cheddar/Kalamata Olives turned out GREAT! That was a treat, love finding new recipes.

Now I hope that the ones I'm freezing turn out with the same texture/moisture/consistency and flavor.

crashdive123
09-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Thawing out and cooking the frozen dough should work just fine. The cooks onboard the submarines I was on did it frequently. Take a look in the freezer section of your grocery store - there are a couple of brands of "unbaked rolls and dough".

Gray Wolf
09-04-2008, 04:23 PM
I would trust the cooks onboard the submarines first, when you look at those in the frozen food section you need your reading glasses and a chair to read all the stuff they have in them. I just don't know if they're putting something else in it for the freezing.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
09-04-2008, 04:29 PM
I've only tried bread on a stick with a beef stew in it. I may try some recipes. that olive
bit sounds good

Rick
09-04-2008, 06:05 PM
My first an only bread on a stick was a total disaster. I was rolling in dough and it wasn't money. I added too much water to the mix and it was a mess!

nell67
09-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Thats when you dip the stick in the dough,slightly cook it,dip it in again and so on until you get it to the desired size,kind of like a corn dog without the hot dog,or just make sure you take a little extra flour,just in case.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
09-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Ive tried to make cattail flower i guess it turned out alright, its not the kind of flower for
thoes kinds of bread though. next time ill try what nell suggested, that just might work. thanks nell

Gray Wolf
09-04-2008, 10:49 PM
I'm going to try another new bread stick recipe tomorrow, diced pine nuts lightly toasted with a pinch of nutmeg (again no sugar or salt).

Just thought of this, I'm going to make two batches, the first is the one above, the second is the same but adding some Purslane (Portulaca oleracea) that I collected yesterday. For those that are not familiar with Purslane, you use the leaves and stems (need to prep) they taste like green beans. I had added that and a couple of others to our database. They're also great in salads.

Gray Wolf
09-05-2008, 08:32 AM
Couldn't wait, this morning I made the bread on a stick new recipe; diced pine nuts lightly toasted with a pinch of nutmeg, to have with my eggs (over easy, lots of yoke), This one is a definite winner! It was great with melted butter, or just dipped plain in the yoke! A great morning bread on a stick! I tested making it (like I did the others) in my fire pit, in the yard, but this was so good with breakfast I'm going to try making them (without the stick) in the oven. This could become a daily treat!

erunkiswldrnssurvival
09-05-2008, 12:25 PM
Couldn't wait, this morning I made the bread on a stick new recipe; diced pine nuts lightly toasted with a pinch of nutmeg, to have with my eggs (over easy, lots of yoke), This one is a definite winner! It was great with melted butter, or just dipped plain in the yoke! A great morning bread on a stick! I tested making it (like I did the others) in my fire pit, in the yard, but this was so good with breakfast I'm going to try making them (without the stick) in the oven. This could become a daily treat!

My wife accuses me of jumping overboard with outdoor cooking experiments
If I had a boat I might understand what she meant

ArmySurvivalist
09-05-2008, 04:54 PM
You all deserve a academy award. Now I need to come over and try all these foods.
I dont do recipes very well :)

erunkiswldrnssurvival
09-05-2008, 04:58 PM
That stick bread with pine nuts -n- nutmeg will do me fine, wheres the grits?

Gray Wolf
09-29-2008, 12:00 AM
Well I defrosted the frozen batch and they were fine. There was just a little change in the cooked consistency, but that might have been due to different variables, the fire wood, a possible difference in height they were cooked at etc. But I'm very satisfied with the results. This will make my prep before each outing a lot easier. And also very convenient for when I just want one (or two) at home. Plus packing them frozen before an outing, will keep other items cooler. I'm pleased with the results and hope others will benefit from this.

nell67
09-29-2008, 06:28 AM
Awesone GW,glad it turned out well!

crashdive123
09-29-2008, 06:50 AM
Good stuff as usual Gray Wolf. Thanks.

BraggSurvivor
10-02-2008, 09:35 PM
I've never heard of bread on a stick...... sounds excellent though. Can they be toasted on a grille?

crashdive123
10-02-2008, 09:37 PM
yep...........

Fletcher
10-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Can you grow a stick around the bread ? ? ?

crashdive123
10-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Now that there's funny, I don't care who you are.