PDA

View Full Version : How many of you...

ArmySurvivalist
09-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Go on a hiking or camping trip and only take a small water supply, ration of food and your pack, then only eat what you can catch.

I have a good friend that keeps telling me he wants to do it, he is the silver spoon I just got done watching survivor man type. I feel he is more of a liability
then anything.

I go with somewhat decent people with some knowledge at least to make it a day. Most of my friends get out there and want to bail after they see the true work that goes into finding good shelter and materials. LOL.

I would even go to say I test them to see how well they will keep up.

But I didnt know if some people have already experienced this. I usually take
enough for twice my stay in the wild but not taking enough at all with a in experienced friend means I will do most the work. I am actually talking myself out of this as we speak.

Share your thoughts.

Signed,
Experienced Numpty

crashdive123
09-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Not me. I'm not a minimalist camper/hiker. There are quite a few here that are. Here's a thought....if your friend is determined to go with little food or water just have an agreement with him before hand. Tell him that you'll pack it in. If he needs or wants anything he can buy it from you (at a substantial mark-up). You never know...could be a new business line for you.

trax
09-03-2008, 05:45 PM
ah young numptywan, you have indeed discovered the crux of the matter,and luckily at such a young age. The force is strong with you, you've got the right idea, IMHO, ditch him. LOL.

I've mentioned a time or two some "bad" experiences with others in the bush. Including...not packing enough food, actually lying about how much they'd packed ("well I was going to bring it, but the pack was getting so heavy", but yay you brought 4 extra pairs of d cells for your flashlight AND a little stereo!) that sort of thing. If you have doubts about the other person's judgement settle them out before you leave or leave them behind.

ArmySurvivalist
09-03-2008, 05:46 PM
Thats great man hahahahahahaha O my God, my chest is going to explode. Laughing to hard... hjik'aghl ( Aliens scene )

ArmySurvivalist
09-03-2008, 05:48 PM
Yeah trax, I actually am in my mid twenties. I know, still a young guy but believe me. In Iraq I didnt get to pick the sort to be around. Now that I just got back from my third tour I told myself that I will never go with anyone even to walmart if they dont know how to walk through a automatic door.

crashdive123
09-03-2008, 05:54 PM
The first time I hiked to Upper Lena Lake in the Olympic Mts - went with my roomate. He was a big time marathon runner - me - not so much. Anyway, we had all of our gear layed out and inventoried in our living room. Packed everything. That night, I snuck out and opened the bottom section of his pack and slipped in a six pack of beer. Our hike in took most of the day. Just under 10 miles with an elevation change of about 5000-6000 feet. We get our camp set up - drop a couple of fishing lines in the lake. I take out a flask of bourbon and offer him some. He hates liquor. He said how he wished he had a beer. I told him to check the bottom of his pack. Man was he pi$$ed, well until the beer cooled and he drank it. Got the idea from a beer commercial on TV.

ArmySurvivalist
09-03-2008, 05:55 PM
Thats funny Crash. HAHA.

Rick
09-03-2008, 05:55 PM
If you have doubts....listen to them.

Be redundant about your redundancies.

ArmySurvivalist
09-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Rick what is all that sales stuff doing under your sig, is that a ownership or dealer license I smell?

trax
09-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Yeah trax, I actually am in my mid twenties. I know, still a young guy but believe me. In Iraq I didnt get to pick the sort to be around. Now that I just got back from my third tour I told myself that I will never go with anyone even to walmart if they dont know how to walk through a automatic door.

Man, if anyone's earned the right, you have.

klkak
09-03-2008, 06:13 PM
Go on a hiking or camping trip and only take a small water supply, ration of food and your pack, then only eat what you can catch.
Almost every day of the summer I go on day trips where I only take a lunch, some snacks and water. However I do Carry a water purifier and ample supply's in the event my group and I have to spend the night out. (an unlikely event)

I have a good friend that keeps telling me he wants to do it, he is the silver spoon I just got done watching survivor man type. I feel he is more of a liability then anything.
Go out with him and help him learn. Start with a day hike or a single over niter.

I go with somewhat decent people with some knowledge at least to make it a day. Most of my friends get out there and want to bail after they see the true work that goes into finding good shelter and materials. LOL.
This is very common but it will help you know who you can depend on to do longer treks.

I would even go to say I test them to see how well they will keep up.
I wouldn't test them to see how well they keep up. If they are going with you then you are leading the group. Don't do any more then the weakest man can handle or you could end up caring for an injured man.

But I didn't know if some people have already experienced this. I usually take enough for twice my stay in the wild but not taking enough at all with an in experienced friend means I will do most the work. I am actually talking myself out of this as we speak.
I wouldn't go without enough to cover the trip and a little extra. Tell the folks you go with to do the same or find someone else to go with.

Good luck...,;)

crashdive123
09-03-2008, 06:13 PM
Automatic doors....now that's funny. But those darned revoving ones...man...got lost in one for hours before I found my way out.

ArmySurvivalist
09-03-2008, 06:16 PM
klkak, your advice is wise and well taken.

I would however never push someone to injury, I meant in my bad way of saying is to push them to have initiative and to learn quickly.

Again, very good advice thank you.

trax
09-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Dang klkak, that was good advice, ignore what I said, listen to klkak. Y'see? That's why he's a guide and I'm wandering around out there in the forest alllll alone.

klkak
09-03-2008, 06:20 PM
klkak, your advice is wise and well taken.

I would however never push someone to injury, I meant in my bad way of saying is to push them to have initiative and to learn quickly.

Again, very good advice thank you.

Heard - Understood - Acknowledged:D

ArmySurvivalist
09-03-2008, 06:22 PM
haha, the real meaning behind Hooah. Have not heard that in a while. Man does that bring up memories of basic...

klkak
09-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Dang klkak, that was good advice, ignore what I said, listen to klkak. Y'see? That's why he's a guide and I'm wandering around out there in the forest alllll alone.

The reason your wandering around alone has nothing to do with not being a guide...........It's your aversion to soap and water.:eek:

klkak
09-03-2008, 06:23 PM
haha, the real meaning behind Hooah. Have not heard that in a while. Man does that bring up memories of basic...

I've been around a while...,

Rick
09-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Now THAT THERE's funny I don't care who you are. God bless them little pygmies down there in New Guinea.

Sarge47
09-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Based on what I've read I don't consider you a "Numpty!" You DO need to know more about your potential companion before starting out on a big adventure. However, if he can't cut it then you could always bring him along as an emergency measure if the food runs out!:eek: (MMM! Long Pig!:rolleyes:) I'm sort of a minimalist myself, if it won't fit into the Winnebago it don't go!:D

Rick
09-03-2008, 06:29 PM
He's not lying either. (some have been accused of that on here. Not often, mind you)

ArmySurvivalist
09-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Sarge haha. O man you guys are halarious.

Yeah, Hannibal had it right. Why pack it when it can walk itself ??

LOL

No I believe I know more then a numpty. I just like to say it, numpty.

Anyhow, I have talked him into a day trip and he is begging to stay out. I am having him google his way home if he annoys me. But for the most part I am motivated by his
will to learn.

trax
09-03-2008, 06:32 PM
The reason your wandering around alone has nothing to do with not being a guide...........It's your aversion to soap and water.:eek:

well yeah that tooo, but you know...if I ever quit wandering around maybe I'll find my way back to the showers :(

crashdive123
09-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Just send him to this forum with this question----I'm going camping and want to live off the land. Any suggestions? We'll toughen him up for you.

ArmySurvivalist
09-03-2008, 07:02 PM
How many times does that question get asked. I am sure quite a bit.

Tisk Tisk. I bet Rick almost craps himself when he see's a new guy with that.

Actually lemme see,

Hi guys,

I just got done watching man vs wild and I want to live off the land and try to
make it out of a survival situation. I need someone to break my leg and drop me out of a chopper with the full intentions of leaving me there alone with no medical treatment.

I wont bring anything but swim shorts for rainy days and a flap of deer skin for the winter chill. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions for how I can F this up anymore??

Does it go like that?

trax
09-03-2008, 07:03 PM
actually that's pretty darn close :D:D

erunkiswldrnssurvival
09-03-2008, 07:10 PM
if your deer skin is wet youve got the right idea!and dont leave out the bare feet!

klkak
09-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Any one hear how them 2 boys with knives are doing these days?

erunkiswldrnssurvival
09-03-2008, 07:46 PM
I think there still trying to sharpen them

crashdive123
09-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Any one hear how them 2 boys with knives are doing these days?

Sold two videos and the Discovery Channel turned them down.

Rick
09-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Well, well. Looky who's got the cute little avatar! ole Howlin' Jack himself.

Hi. I'm new. Can someone tell me the best survival knife? I like the one with the round handle you can store stuff in. Can I use it to test my survival skills? I'd like to go into the wilderness with only my leather loin cloth and a survival knife just to see if I can survive.

http://ryandhale.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/102-stu-pose.jpg

I just want to sit here and cry!

erunkiswldrnssurvival
09-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Sold two videos and the Discovery Channel turned them down.

thats a shame if they want recognition, they should get it. if theve got that much to say and do, they should say and do it.

crashdive123
09-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Ummm - erunkiswldrnssurvival - I've got no earthly idea what those two idiots are doing.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
09-03-2008, 07:55 PM
the trouble is tv sells, its a market. genuine education doesnt make money where intertainment is concerned

crashdive123
09-03-2008, 07:57 PM
The only thing educational about what those two were doing.....Poster childeren for what NOT to do.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
09-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Ummm - erunkiswldrnssurvival - I've got no earthly idea what those two idiots are doing.
yes sir your right i dont know what there doing. i cant imagine any other thing than what is a benefit . what did i miss?

crashdive123
09-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Read the Numpty thread about Adrian and his partner. All will become clear.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
09-03-2008, 08:03 PM
The only thing educational about what those two were doing.....Poster childeren for what NOT to do.

doesnt that make the best tv shows? (just kidding) i take my work seriously
clowns take from it . i agree they should be checked

Rick
09-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Whadya miss? Whad I miss he asked. Just the Mother of all Numpty threads. The greatest exhortation of wilderness dumbassdom that ever existed....multiplied by 2. One of those threads that start out...oh, well, read for yourself.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=378&highlight=adrian+wilderness

ArmySurvivalist
09-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Some people I guess just want to spark conversation.

My spark is off a flint and steel that is keeping my tinder nice and fire warm.

Nothing like good tinder.... welp.... ok .. then...

haha

erunkiswldrnssurvival
09-04-2008, 01:30 PM
Some people I guess just want to spark conversation.

My spark is off a flint and steel that is keeping my tinder nice and fire warm.

Nothing like good tinder.... welp.... ok .. then...

haha
Sparking a tinder is one of favorite ways to ignite a fire, but i mostly use oil
stoves and lamp light. you Get Huge heat with very little fuel and oil doesnt get wet!