PDA

View Full Version : sooo.. has anyone ever spent the night

wareagle69
08-21-2007, 02:01 PM
in the woods or are we to busy typing.

tell me about your last overnighter what did you experiment with?
what did you bring taht you will not again?
what should you have brought?

lets keep it simple folks we have already covered bob's and survial kits, i'm just looking for different products or methods(cookoing shelter fire)that ya'll have tried (failed or sucsess).

and let the games begin.

trax
08-21-2007, 02:14 PM
I was pretty well outfitted, canoe, tent, grub box, plenty of food,sleeping bag, axe. Did all my cooking on an open fire. I did spend some time picking some wild medicines and vegetables and caught a few pickerel (walleye to my southern friends) for dinner.

wareagle69
08-21-2007, 02:20 PM
along time ago i learned to precook my potatoes. i went to my wifes family reunion and thought i would show them how cook i was while they bbqed their steaks i thru mine on a rock and potatoe (dan qualye?)in the fire wrapped in tin foil. need less to say i had her aunt's potatoe salad w/ my steak.

ryaninmichigan
08-21-2007, 03:44 PM
Toatoes take a while. Tip: cut them up. Last time over night. I too was pretty well packed. Four-wheeler. 10 miles in. Cooler full of beers a buddy. Caught some Walleye, Pickerel for my northern friends, (never knew that BTW). Bunch of stuff from the garden, some Tatoes. No tent though. Tent cot. (sp?). Nice night. Did some wheeling in the morning fish the afternoon.

owl_girl
08-21-2007, 09:22 PM
I haven’t slept in a tent in years. I just sleep outside with a blanket or sleeping bag if I’m lucky. I don’t like tents unless its raining, but then I have slept out in the rain without a tent and its not so bad unless it gets cold. I like watching the stars with my friends and being net to the fire and I miss out on that when I’m in a tent. Next time I get the chance I want to spend the night in a tree lol… seriously though I’m planning on trying that.

wareagle69
08-21-2007, 09:26 PM
not a big fan of tents either if i wanted to sleep inside i'd stay in the house, i like either lean to's or normally i just use my bag inside of a bivy sac nice and waterproof and no seeum proof. besides in a tent those noises that you hear can play with ya where as w/o a tent you can get a better visual of what's going on.

FVR
08-21-2007, 09:26 PM
I have not been out for over a year. Jonesing here, this year. Don't much like a tent, rather just a wool blanket and a tarp.

I'll be getting out this late fall. Like the fall, can hunt small game, crisp mornings, warm afternoons, and chilly nights. Fires are nice, coyotes screaming, but then I wake up to coyotes screaming while sleeping in my house. Just earier in the sticks.

Def. doing a trip this year even if it's just an overnighter.

Things change when kids arrive, but hey, they're keeping me young.

I think.

nell67
08-21-2007, 09:30 PM
No fvr,they age you greatly overnite it seems,LOL.Seriously though you think your kids are great wait till you get the first grandchild,what a blessing!( And no not becuase you can send them home to mommy and daddy at the end of the day).

There is just something so peaceful about them.

Sarge47
Actually it was 7 days at the Cornerstone Music Festival. Huge 3-room cabin tent all to myself complete with cot & mattress. I own a Cabela's Camp Kitchen & use a Brinkman's two burner propane stove for cooking. They don't allow any open fires out there.(shrug) With the Thousands of people they get, who can blame them? Roughing it? At my age? Only if I have too sonny!:D

wareagle69
we have 21 wolves at our wild life centre permanent residents, it's awesome to out sleeping with no moon pitch dark and hear the wolves stat talking to each other, then they get the coyotes going then the coy dogs then my buddies sled dogs start in quite a racket but what an awesome experience to hear the wolves on a daily and nightly basis.

Sarge47
08-21-2007, 09:33 PM
we have 21 wolves at our wild life centre permanent residents, it's awesome to out sleeping with no moon pitch dark and hear the wolves stat talking to each other, then they get the coyotes going then the coy dogs then my buddies sled dogs start in quite a racket but what an awesome experience to hear the wolves on a daily and nightly basis.

Have you ever heard the term "Rouge Wolf"? If so does it have any validity, or is it a "Hollywood" Term?:confused:

wareagle69
08-21-2007, 09:38 PM
by rouge r u refering to lone wolf we do have a few because of ministry regulations we keep most of them seperated some are paired up or even 3 but different breeds and geographics have to be seperated fir instance a timber from bc cannot be penned w/ a timber from new york do not want genetic crossbreeding to happen.

Sarge47
08-21-2007, 09:42 PM
by rouge r u refering to lone wolf we do have a few because of ministry regulations we keep most of them seperated some are paired up or even 3 but different breeds and geographics have to be seperated fir instance a timber from bc cannot be penned w/ a timber from new york do not want genetic crossbreeding to happen.

Why not? Will the BC Timber Wolf start using really nasty language or will the NY Wolves want to start their own web-site?:rolleyes: Really, what's the reason?:confused:

owl_girl
08-21-2007, 09:44 PM
Yea I get claustrophobic in tents. I sometimes camp on top the bluffs, their awesome. I love listening to the coyotes and wolves. This year while camping me and my friend got to see a shooting star that lasted a good 5 to 6 seconds and it looked like a firework. Love watching the sky at night.

Sarge47
08-21-2007, 10:16 PM
Yea I get claustrophobic in tents. I sometimes camp on top the bluffs, their awesome. I love listening to the coyotes and wolves. This year while camping me and my friend got to see a shooting star that lasted a good 5 to 6 seconds and it looked like a firework. Love watching the sky at night.

Waaay back when I was 21 & single, in the late 60's, and we were planning that crazy expedition I wrote about, I slept out in the yard on a cot with my sleeping bag, under the stars. (Too many "Cottonmouths" to sleep on the ground) It was great, so I got an idea what you're talking about. I had a tent set up a few yards away so when it would rain, as it would sometimes do, I'd dive into it with my sleeping;) gear. My brothers and I had a pet raccoon that liked to "hang" with us. At night he would keep me awake, chittering and pulling at my hair. I wore real indian moccasins, just one layer of leather and toughened the soles of my feet. That was one of the best times of my life. (deep sigh) ;)

SOE digital
08-21-2007, 10:19 PM
I spent a weekend out a few weeks ago.
Just a swag, no tent. Spent the day next to the fire and cooked a steak up in the coals. Beautifull. Rained all night and all day but I managed to keep the fire roaring. I tell you, it's hard to light a fire in the rain ;)

Was good fun.

owl_girl
08-21-2007, 10:35 PM
Waaay back when I was 21 & single, in the late 60's, and we were planning that crazy expedition I wrote about, I slept out in the yard on a cot with my sleeping bag, under the stars. (Too many "Cottonmouths" to sleep on the ground) It was great, so I got an idea what you're talking about. I had a tent set up a few yards away so when it would rain, as it would sometimes do, I'd dive into it with my sleeping;) gear. My brothers and I had a pet raccoon that liked to "hang" with us. At night he would keep me awake, chittering and pulling at my hair. I wore real indian moccasins, just one layer of leather and toughened the soles of my feet. That was one of the best times of my life. (deep sigh) ;)
Oh raccoons are fun lol. A couple years ago there was a raccoon that would eat out of my hand and she would bring her little ones with her. When one grew up he was so playful but ouch he’d bite hard when he played, he’d let us pet hem and he’d climb in our lap, he was so cute, feisty little bugger though. Also my cousins had a couple raccoons they rehabilitated that I got to know, one of the coons was albino and that was awesome.

Sarge47
08-21-2007, 11:30 PM
Oh raccoons are fun lol. A couple years ago there was a raccoon that would eat out of my hand and she would bring her little ones with her. When one grew up he was so playful but ouch he’d bite hard when he played, he’d let us pet hem and he’d climb in our lap, he was so cute, feisty little bugger though. Also my cousins had a couple raccoons they rehabilitated that I got to know, one of the coons was albino and that was awesome.

Never! Ever get between two males during "rutting" season when a female goes into heat! Knew a guy who got his hand in between two of them, trying to break up their fight and they darn near tore it to pieces. No matter how tame they might seem, they're still a wild animal, so I always advise caution!;)

owl_girl
08-22-2007, 12:01 AM
Never! Ever get between two males during "rutting" season when a female goes into heat! Knew a guy who got his hand in between two of them, trying to break up their fight and they darn near tore it to pieces. No matter how tame they might seem, they're still a wild animal, so I always advise caution!;)
I’d never get my hand anywhere near a pissed off raccoon. Don’t worry I’m not naive about what they can do. Thos thing are tough, they remind me of bears. Even my cousins raccoons got crazy wild at times and there was nothing anyone could do about it.

Sarge47
08-22-2007, 12:09 AM
I’d never get my hand anywhere near a pissed off raccoon. Don’t worry I’m not naive about what they can do. Thos thing are tough, they remind me of bears. Even my cousins raccoons got crazy wild at times and there was nothing anyone could do about it.

Lol! My late friend, the fellow who wanted to go to Alaska & look for gold had this saying that he applied to people who acted nuts: "Crazier than a pet 'coon",:eek: guess it fits.

owl_girl
08-22-2007, 12:34 AM
Lol! My late friend, the fellow who wanted to go to Alaska & look for gold had this saying that he applied to people who acted nuts: "Crazier than a pet 'coon",:eek: guess it fits.
that dos fit :D

DEET
08-22-2007, 05:07 AM
I brought the usual things I always bring so no sense typing it here. The only thing is though I woke up in the middle of the night (which is very rare for me) and just had this bad feeling in my gut that I needed to leave NOW. I layed there for about half an hour and it wouldn't go away. A little background on "my gut" My gut was known as the great fortune teller since it kept us out of mortar attacks, sniper alleys and other good times in the military so whenever I said we need to move now everybody listened. Back to the incident, this feeling wouldn't leave so I packed up and left in the middle of the night. Still don't know what was the reason and probably don't want to. Remeber if it doesn't feel like a good idea it probably isn't.

sam30248
08-22-2007, 08:02 PM
the last time i went out i took my son(his first time), we took everything did alot of teaching little hunting , but we got alot done over that weekend. tried a few new things. he still wants to know when we are going again:)

troutndeer
08-22-2007, 10:18 PM
last time i went was just an overnighter. Me and my cosin like to fish...ALOT!! so this was mainly an easy one.

sticks65
08-23-2007, 03:24 PM
Im of for two day,s in the Welsh mountains ill take aone man tent and a trangia stove,Then as soon as i get back me and a buddy are of to the wood,s for two days ill take a tarp for this trip also a two burner tilley stove[butane],portable BAR-B-Q,folding table and chairs,25liters of water,acool box full of Beer and a bottle of whiskey.

Tony uk
08-24-2007, 04:22 PM
in the woods or are we to busy typing.

tell me about your last overnighter what did you experiment with?
what did you bring taht you will not again?
what should you have brought?

lets keep it simple folks we have already covered bob's and survial kits, i'm just looking for different products or methods(cookoing shelter fire)that ya'll have tried (failed or sucsess).

and let the games begin.
My last trip was camping with my cousin and i didnt bring much at all since we where only gone for a day, altho i was i had brought a spare tent since there was a huge rip in it :(

U.KMarine-Red4
09-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Well my last time in the woods was a game of airsoft. I dont think there is anything i'll leave behind but i will definatly bring more ammo... 300 rounds in airsoft for 2 days is insufficiant!!! oh and tony U.K why did you bring a tent on a day trip? not a flame or anything just wondering

survivalhike
09-16-2007, 01:08 AM
My last trip was to Crown King AZ (a small northern mining town) in late July. We stayed about a mile out of town on the woods and we we're there for a week. I'm normally not a big fan of staying too close to town, but if you google Crown King you'll see that it's more of a mining camp than a town.

It rained every day (which was not a big deal because I never see rain anymore living in AZ) and we drank more beer than we ever have before. We call the trip Alcoholica (an old nick name for the metal band MetallicA) and all we do is drink, fish, drink, and eat. I'ts a blast.

We caught some nice sized bass and did a pretty long hike through the woods, but really took it easy. That particular trip is not about going nuts and doing everything...rather it's about relaxing and enjoying being far away from cell phone service.