PDA

View Full Version : The Top Twelve Foods for Long Term Storage

BraggSurvivor
08-30-2008, 12:12 PM
With the recent surge in food prices it makes sense to buy foods that last and to obtain a bulk discount. However it is pointless to stock up on unhealthy food. During an emergency, having enough snacks won't increase the odds of survival. So what are some of the best foods to stock up on? The keys to consider are: shelf life, bulk price and nutritional content. This article will explore some of the best options.

http://www.NaturalNews.com/024019.html

crashdive123
08-30-2008, 03:55 PM
Nice link Bragg. Good info to get you thinking. I prefer (and based on the pictures of your garage you do too) to stock up on things that I normally eat. Just make sure you rotate your stores and replenish them as needed.

Rick
08-31-2008, 08:21 AM
Great article, Bragg. Good post.

Proud American
09-01-2008, 02:51 PM
I read that honey lastes forever too. Just stalk up on number 10 cans filled with food. Thats what we have and 25lb containers of wheat. My mom likes making her own bread its cheaper and better for you, but honestly I don't like it.

crashdive123
09-01-2008, 03:24 PM
Proud - here's a little trick to make your mom's bread taste better. Take two slices and toast them lightly. Put about a half pound of bacon (cooked the way you like it) between the two slices. You'll be suprised at how good that bread will taste when you do that.

bulrush
09-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Proud - here's a little trick to make your mom's bread taste better. Take two slices and toast them lightly. Put about a half pound of bacon (cooked the way you like it) between the two slices. You'll be suprised at how good that bread will taste when you do that.

My cholesterol is going up just thinking about it.

Nwy
09-18-2008, 10:43 PM
Have you also noticed that the hobby/habit of canning and jarring vegetables fruit and salted meat has fallen off the wayside?
That's one skill I wish I could have learned from my grandmother.
I look in the fridge and see how much food my brother and his girlfriend waste and its completely appalling. vegetables, greens go bad so quickly that there is really no need to buy so much, and the food stuffs that aren't going to be used right away, it only makes sense to me to preserve it in some way.
I can't say I'm any better, most times I usually only buy food a few hours before its prepared, as needed. I don't stockpile anything really, but in the future when I have a family of my own I may think differently.

trax
09-22-2008, 12:05 PM
there's been plenty posted here on different food preservation and storage methods, nwy. Check out some of the posts. Nell makes awesome homemade jam (apparently, so I've heard, from some of her boyfriend's friends...ahem) but besides my wimpy little issues, there is a lot of good information on here and if you find more...share it with us (or if you make jam....)

someguy1980
09-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Please add TUNA to this list. Tuna is great. Just got a can the other day and it doesn't expire until 5/30/2011.

servings 2.5
stats per serving

cals-75
fat cals-30
fat-4g
cholest.-20mg
sodium-220mg
potassium-80mg
total carb-2g
fiber-2g
protien-8g
iron-2%
vit d-10%
niacin-30%
vit b6-4%
vit b12-30%
selenium-60%

yea for tuna!

nell67
09-22-2008, 01:42 PM
there's been plenty posted here on different food preservation and storage methods, nwy. Check out some of the posts. Nell makes awesome homemade jam (apparently, so I've heard, from some of her boyfriend's friends...ahem) but besides my wimpy little issues, there is a lot of good information on here and if you find more...share it with us (or if you make jam....)

Lmao! Baby,you want I should send you some blueberry or grape or blackberry or apple????Or how about some blueberry pie filling???,I think they just may get confiscated before they make it across the border!:eek:

trax
09-22-2008, 05:33 PM
yea for tuna!

Ya know doncha that the only reason we eat tuna is because dolphins and porpoises are cute and tuna are ugly. If the tuna were cute and the dolphins ugly we'd all be going "oh look at those poor tuna all tangled up in the dolphin nets."

Nwy
09-23-2008, 11:55 AM
It also helps that they're smart!

right?

trax
09-23-2008, 01:09 PM
I disagree. I've met moose and deer in my life who appeared to be quite clever within the confines of their own environments (vis: not smart as in "good boy Flipper, now read the financial pages to Dad!" but still....clever)

I shot 'em and ate 'em anyway. :D