PDA

View Full Version : Tropical Storm FAY

erunkiswldrnssurvival
08-23-2008, 11:50 AM
I decided to get some self training in disaster preparedness! I went to Miami Beach for the storm on Mon, Aug 18. I was fortunate enough to get it twice
because I live in Marion co. the Eye crossed right ouer my house! In Miami I
almost got Hypothermia, my core temp dropped to 90.7 degrees after 7hours of exposure. I learned alot from that!http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/album.php?albumid=16&pictureid=90

laughing beetle
08-23-2008, 12:17 PM
So how did you make out?

crashdive123
08-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Please explain the 7 hours of exposure part of your test.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
08-23-2008, 10:08 PM
For the first 3 hours i was on the beach i was wearing aftermaaket water resistant clothes that got me soaking wet. the wind sucked the heat right out of me (the clothing temp:72 degrees) i took shelter next to a jedi for the next 3.5 hours. by then i was shivering uncontrolably,my fingers were pins and needles. i was just about to head inland to a more suitable shelter but the local athoritys(adventura) police made me call off the exercise my core temp was 90.7 degrees f. they said the health risks were their concern. the driving wind was a real problem,and the heat loss was a controlable thing (if i could have gotten inland) but i didnt make it that far.the air temp wa88.6degrees .Gene

laughing beetle
08-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Uhh..OK. I have to agree with Sarge, Crashdive and whomever else has or will say this...that was stupid. I am glad you are ok, and don't want to offend you but the base rule is don't do stupid stuff just to see if you can survive it. If the whole point was too see if some new weather gear would hold up you surely could have waited for a plain old thunder storm, could't you? Respect Mother Nature!! She ain't foolin..

laughing beetle
08-24-2008, 10:00 AM
oh, and to the senior members, please forgive my presumtion in quoting you...

crashdive123
08-24-2008, 11:06 AM
No problems Laughing Beetle. I understand the desire to explore one's limits. IMO it would be better to perform those sort of tests in more of a controled environment. It kind of reminds me of the Ron White comedy routine. You know the one. Man straps himself to a tree with a storm coming. Says he wants to show how tough he is. Ron's response.....It's not that the wind is blowin..........it's what the wind is blowin. Doesn't matter how tough you are when the Volkswagen comes flying through the air.

Seriously though - glad you're OK.

Rick
08-24-2008, 11:10 AM
I guess my overall concern would be that when your core temperature begins to fall you begin to think differently. Not having full control of your faculties could (and certainly has) led to dangerous and deadly situations.

I'm also going to make the assumption that you had professionals with you during the exercise since you indicate the police wanted you to end it because of health concerns.

I'm not going to ask how you knew what your core body temp. was.:D

erunkiswldrnssurvival
08-31-2008, 03:58 PM
Well, nobody takes unnessasary chances, I did have a team of professionals keeping an eye on me, My intent was to test how clothing cools off and loses insulating properties
when wet and wind swept, that was a success. clothing is a contributing factor to early on-set of hypothermia.My temps were monitered internaly by a small device simular to a
rumenant magnet. Eugene Runkis

Rick
08-31-2008, 08:39 PM
Well...good thing you cleared that up. I had some crazy ideas floating around about how they were getting those temps!!!!!

Bigdog57
09-01-2008, 03:56 PM
One wonders how well it would go with good old-fashioned wool clothing under a rubber rain-jacket? That new-fangled stuff obviously failed the test.

crashdive123
09-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Erunkiswldrnssurvival - If you wouldn't mind, write up a critique of what you were testing and how it performed. That way others can avoid buying gear that may not perform adequately.

I was out in the weather quite a bit in the neighborhood (several trees down) checking on neighbors. I was wearing my two piece lightweight rain suit made by Stearns. I stayed dry and comfortable with it.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
09-06-2008, 02:39 PM
I was wearing a jacket/pants made by ozark. the sewn seems leaked allowing water to enter accrost the back , shoulders , and along the length of the arms . In a light or medium Rain they may have been ok, but after 6 hours of driving Rain, the water migrated, and flowed in from every opening and seam. the hood was loose and let Rain blow in around my ears and neck. it was adjustable but when tight the hood obscured my line of vision

Rick
09-06-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm not sure that "Failed to stay dry after 6 hours in a Hurricane" is a thumbs down for any manufacturer. I doubt that criteria was on the table when the specs were put together.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
09-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Yea, I know it wasnt designed with that in mind, but i tried it any way. any other storm they would been ok