PDA

View Full Version : Making jam/jelly? Make your own pectin.

nell67
08-21-2008, 05:46 PM
Tart Apple Pectin

4 pounds sliced green apples with peels and cores
1/4 cup of lemon juice
8 cups of water

Simmer, over medium heat, until apples break down completely. Press apples through a sieve or food mill to remove cores and peels. Return liquid to a heavy kettle to cook briskly, stirring until the volume is reduced by half. Pour mixture into a jelly bag or cheesecloth lined colander and allow to drip without squeezing. Use immediately, can or freeze.

4-6 tablespoons of homemade pectin for every cup of prepared juice gives a good gel.

Rick
08-21-2008, 08:27 PM
EDIT:

I had to do some searching on this one. I guess apple pectin was a pretty common ingredient a few generations ago when store bought wasn't available. Anywhooooo. Thanks, Nell. Good stuff. Here's a link with some similar information but a bit longer:

http://www.wildflowers-and-weeds.com/The_Forager/pectin.htm

crashdive123
08-21-2008, 09:12 PM
Thanks Nell.

nell67
08-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Thanks guys,I got curious about the pectin I was using,and wondered how it was done in the old days before the powdered and gelled stuff you buy in the stores,I was really surprised it was that easy to make.
Next time I get some apples,I'm gonna try to make some,to see how well it turns out.

Funny as I have been making apple jelly and applesauce this week.If I'd only known....

canid
08-22-2008, 05:52 PM
if you juice, you can use the whole pulp that is left over

Rick
08-22-2008, 05:59 PM
I think the left overs is called pomace. But in grapes it's called marc(?). Something like that. I know pomace is used for cattle feed but what would you use it for with all the seeds and core in it?

nell67
08-22-2008, 06:09 PM
if you juice, you can use the whole pulp that is left over
I run the pulp through a sieve to take out the seeds and peels,whats left is applesauce,or,if you have real talent,apple butter,I haven't tried apple butter yet,but I will.
I feed the left over to the pig,it doesn't seem to mind the cyanide compounds in the seeds

Rick
08-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Well, cool. Thanks!!

canid
08-22-2008, 07:00 PM
that pomace is largely the cell wall fibers and the material that holds those cell walls together are polysacharides such as protopectin. apples, according to wikipedia, are about 1% pectins by mass, and the pomace, being [b]much[/i] lower in water, and other water solutes than the whole fruit, is richer in pectin by volume, and is probably worth saving if one is a juicing fan and not otherwise inclined to use it.