PDA

View Full Version : Backcountry Boot Camp

Fog_Harbor
08-19-2007, 11:28 AM
I came across a show on the travel channel called "Backcountry Boot Camp". It was like a reality show featuring NOLS students, who went from point "A" to point "B" through the Wyoming Rockies over the course of 35 days or so.

I mention it so that those of you who are experienced in the wild can watch it and laugh, and to warn those of you who aren't to stay away from this place.

I watched it for about two hours - My wife thought I went nuts when I started giggling and couldn't stop, she asked me what was so funny, and I told her I was watching "How to Kill Yourself 101"!

Carrying 40-60 pound packs, including stoves and fuel, tents, sleeping bags, etc - one of them still managed to get hypothermic! - and these are our future outdoor leaders? SAR will have job security for the forseeable future!

That's my rant for the week :D

wareagle69
08-19-2007, 12:19 PM
i don't know of the show that you were watching so i can't dissagree on that point but when i was living in arizona i came acroos a few of these guys in the mid 90"s everyone one knew of refered to them as nols nazis very exreme group of individuals now having never attended and 10yrs gone by maybe the school has become more commercialized.

Tony uk
08-19-2007, 05:26 PM
Hmm, Like some kind of millitery exercise carrying that much :)

HOP
08-19-2007, 07:02 PM
It is my impression that NOLS is more Yupie than Nazi they have a good reputation and teach tried and tested techiniques I don't know there politics but they are probably green. They do try to push people to expand their potential. The show did seam to put on a cross section of participants, I gues to make it more inline with reality.

wareagle69
08-19-2007, 08:56 PM
the reason that we refer to them as nols nazi's is how regimented they are about the 7 rules of leave no trace, i have chewed some of the same dirt as these guys i would not see them as yuppies.can't really think of an adjective right now but...

Fog_Harbor
08-19-2007, 10:47 PM
It wasn't so much the individuals on the show, it was what they were DOING that got to me. A few examples:

The maps that they were carrying were wet to the point of shredding.

Even with a decent map, no one in the groups could seem to figure out where they were.

They were more concerned with their timeline than the general wellbeing of the group.

In a freak summer snowstorm, several of the members were fasting, even with food available, as they were shivering (as I said, one of them went hypothermic)

That's just a few things, but things that could have gotten people injured or killed.

spiritman
08-19-2007, 10:55 PM
I think I've seen an episode of something like that, the kids were all crying and whining and throwing tantrums.

Why were they FASTING? Personal choice/mandatory?

trax
08-20-2007, 12:26 PM
What's NOLS?

wareagle69
08-20-2007, 08:42 PM
national outdoor leadership school.

Fog_Harbor
08-20-2007, 10:45 PM
I think I've seen an episode of something like that, the kids were all crying and whining and throwing tantrums.

Why were they FASTING? Personal choice/mandatory?

I'm not sure, there were numerous episodes, and I caught the last two, but it seemed voluntary because only 3 out of 6 or 7 of the group were actually fasting.

psychhike
09-14-2007, 10:40 PM
In case anyone is still checking out this thread, I was on the course that was televised on the travel channel/ and found it interesting to see the comments made by other members.

One thing that was difficult for me (watching myself and others), was the fact that out of hundreds of hours taped -- the shows only aired 5 hours and some minutes. As one can imagine, the focus was on the drama, rather the skill and comradarie that was put on the back burner -- perhaps to get a larger audience.

I would be happy to post answers to any questions re: the trip and wilderness aspect.

Fun Fun.

owl_girl
09-14-2007, 10:54 PM
Nice signature psychhike.

wareagle69
09-16-2007, 07:56 PM
what did you take out of the course?

psychhike
09-17-2007, 08:56 AM
What did I take out of the course?//

To me there were two aspects of this course. Because it was filmed, I had the experience of having the cameras focus on everything I did, 18 hours a day. I also had the wilderness experience. It was easy to block out the cameras and be in the moment. -------
To sum it up easily, I learned and took home with me, the ability to be patient and to work with others in order to accomplish a goal(which was to safely travel from point a to b).
As someone said in an earlier thread, we had a vast amount of experience in our group, from very experienced, to some who never had slept outside intentionally before.
NOLS teaches some hard skills, but it is primarily associated with team-work, communication, camaraderie, LNT and leadership (this wasnt the focus of the show).
NASA has had and I think still has every group of new astronaut recruits do a two week course. This is obviously not to teach how to build a fire or cross a river, but to see how well they can adapt and work together in a foreign and sometimes dangerous environment --- something they will face miles up in close quarters if they make it into space.

Anyway... thanks for the question and glad you liked the quote.

Fog_Harbor
09-17-2007, 03:19 PM
What did I take out of the course?//

To me there were two aspects of this course. Because it was filmed, I had the experience of having the cameras focus on everything I did, 18 hours a day. I also had the wilderness experience. It was easy to block out the cameras and be in the moment. -------
To sum it up easily, I learned and took home with me, the ability to be patient and to work with others in order to accomplish a goal(which was to safely travel from point a to b).
As someone said in an earlier thread, we had a vast amount of experience in our group, from very experienced, to some who never had slept outside intentionally before.
NOLS teaches some hard skills, but it is primarily associated with team-work, communication, camaraderie, LNT and leadership (this wasnt the focus of the show).
NASA has had and I think still has every group of new astronaut recruits do a two week course. This is obviously not to teach how to build a fire or cross a river, but to see how well they can adapt and work together in a foreign and sometimes dangerous environment --- something they will face miles up in close quarters if they make it into space.

Anyway... thanks for the question and glad you liked the quote.

I still gotta wonder why anyone would fast when they need calories desperately, and allow a member to go hypothermic when it wasn't necessary. Teamwork is a great goal, but not at the expense of a team members health. The schedule seemed to take precedence over the health of the team - and that's NEVER good

psychhike
09-17-2007, 08:18 PM
FOG,

I agree. We split into 2 teams for the last 5 days. Luckily my team was without the three fasters (All I could do was think about food - fasting was the least on my mind), so I dont know too much more than you.

Time was stressed mostly by the fasting team so much because they were without as much food. I would have to say the Wind River Wilderness during a snow storm isn't the best place be in a food restraint. One thing I noticed -- seeing it on tv, is that the three hyperthermic-fasters were in one tent, while the three others were in the other. My thought would be to put mix up some warm bodies with the cold ones.

This NOLS trip didnt allow much time to take your time. Lots of hiking, cooking, sleeping, hiking, cooking, sleeping. I suppose on my personal trips, I allow more time for down time - and perhaps some extra pepperoni.

:D

Fog_Harbor
09-17-2007, 09:09 PM
FOG,

I agree. We split into 2 teams for the last 5 days. Luckily my team was without the three fasters (All I could do was think about food - fasting was the least on my mind), so I dont know too much more than you.

Time was stressed mostly by the fasting team so much because they were without as much food. I would have to say the Wind River Wilderness during a snow storm isn't the best place be in a food restraint. One thing I noticed -- seeing it on tv, is that the three hyperthermic-fasters were in one tent, while the three others were in the other. My thought would be to put mix up some warm bodies with the cold ones.

This NOLS trip didnt allow much time to take your time. Lots of hiking, cooking, sleeping, hiking, cooking, sleeping. I suppose on my personal trips, I allow more time for down time - and perhaps some extra pepperoni.

:D

Fair enough.