PDA

View Full Version : All About Reputation

Rick
08-18-2008, 08:05 PM
What exactly is this "reputation?"
User Reputation's basis comes from the opinions of all the forum users that choose to take part in it. Users gain reputation based on how their posts are scored by other forum participants. Users with the ability to affect reputation will either give points by approving with a post's content.

Does it mean that I am not respected or beneficial to the board if I have a low reputation count?
Not at all! Reputation points really have nothing to do with the importance of a member or their benefit. It is simply a system implemented primarily for fun and entertainment purposes. Please do not be overly-concerned about your rep count. There are very few people, if any, that even care what your reputation count is. Some choose to ignore the feature altogether by disabling it. See the question, "How do I disable reputation system for myself" to see how one can disable their reputation from being displayed.

How can I turn the reputation system off/on?
You can turn your reputation off or on through your User (http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/usercp.php)Control Panel (http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/usercp.php).

Go to General Settings in the left hand menu.Once you are in General Setting the second section is Reputation. From here, you can show or hide Reputation.

How can I give out reputation to other members?
You can give out reputation to others simply by clicking on the reputation button next to their post. The button looks like this:http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q348/safe_zone/ReputationButton_zps7f988b29.png (http://s348.photobucket.com/user/safe_zone/media/ReputationButton_zps7f988b29.png.html) and is located in the yellow tool bar at the bottom of the Quick Reply box. When you click on the button, a little box should pop-up. There are two options in that box. You can either Approve or Disapprove of the post. (see the next two questions below). When you have decided on what type of reputation to give out, you can comment on the reputation you are giving. The little box that allows you to type things (input box) is simply there as an extra option to tell the other person why you are giving them reputation. It is not a requirement to type anything in that box, but it will certainly be a plus for the member you are giving rep to if you can tell them why you are giving them the rep. A typical comment often associated with a reputation is, "Thank you for the research." Once you are done, click the submit button and the reputation will transfer to the other member.

When should I give positive reputation?
You should give positive reputation whenever you feel that the post of another member of the forum was good and deserving of some praise. For example, if you think that a member's post answered your question very well, you can rep them so that they know that you are appreciative of their contribution.

When should/shouldn't I give negative reputation?
Negative reputation is turned off.

How can I see how much reputation I currently have?
You can see the latest reputation that you currently have by going into your User Control Panel (http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/usercp.php). The green boxes above your avatar indicated how much Reputation you have received.

What are those comments I see in my UserCP?
The comments are given to you by the member who is 'repping' you. These comments may sometimes justify the reason for giving you the reputation points. You can give out comments like these to other members by typing in the text field in the reputation pop-up. Please note that it is not a requirement to give out reputation point comments and some users that give you reputation points will not leave any comments.

Why did I receive reputation?
First off, it is best to refer to the comments (see above) for the reputation point in question. If, however, the member leaving you the reputation did not leave a comment or left one that is ambiguous then you will not know the reason that a particular reputation was given.

What are those color boxes next to the reputation comment?
The color of the boxes indicate if the reputation point given is: negative, positive, or neutral (can be both). A green box means that the reputation is positive. A red box means that the reputation is negative. A gray box means that the user giving you the reputation does not have sufficient reputation power (see below) to make a difference on your reputation point level. The positive and neutral boxes are (respectively): http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q348/safe_zone/reputation_pos_zpsffb2cbcc.gif (http://s348.photobucket.com/user/safe_zone/media/reputation_pos_zpsffb2cbcc.gif.html) http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q348/safe_zone/reputation_balance_zps7453043e.gif (http://s348.photobucket.com/user/safe_zone/media/reputation_balance_zps7453043e.gif.html)

What is the amount of reputation I can give out based on (reputation power)?
The amount of reputation you can give out depends on several factors. The factors are as follows: number of days you have been a member, number of posts you have, number of reputation points you currently have.

What are the values for all of the factors affecting my giving reputation power?
The values are as follows: For every 250 number of days, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power. For every 2500 number of posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power. For every 800 points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Can anyone give out reputation?
There are several factors that must be reached before a member can give out positive or negative reputation. The member must have at least 50 posts. The member must also have a reputation equivalent to or greater than 0

Is there a limit to how much reputation I can give out?
Yes. You can only give out no more than 10 reputation points per each 24 hour period. You can give a reputation point to the same user only after you have given reputation to 20 other users. Basically, if you have given 'Joe' a reputation, you must give 20 other members reputation before you can rep Joe again.

Extra notes to consider:
Some of these restrictions or rules may not apply to moderators and/or administrators.

crashdive123
08-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the explanation.

Beo
08-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Thanks Rick.

bulrush
08-28-2008, 08:28 AM
Can't find any way to turn my Reputation ability on or off on the User CP. Did I misunderstand the instructions?

Rick
08-28-2008, 08:58 AM
Do you have reputation showing when you go to CP? If not, then you haven't received any yet. If you do then look in the upper right hand corner of the reputation box and you will see a gray arrow (See the pic above. The red arrow is pointing to it.) If you click on that arrow you will roll up the results. The box will still be there but you won't see the details. Click it again and the box will drop down showing you the detail. As noted in the instructions above..."You can not turn the Reputation system off but you can arrange your settings so you don't have to see the detail".

smokelessfire
08-28-2008, 12:53 PM
the practice should be discontinued. just cuz someone disagrees with you or misunderstands you, instead of debating with you , they just wimp out and "rep" you, and you can't defend yourself. then when some new person wants some advice, and maybe they look at your rep, they won't read your posts. real fair. this site is becoming more and more tiresome. i just come here to learn, and maybe help others a little with my own knowledge.

Rick
08-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Where have you been? That's all been discussed. What you said is true that's why Chris set it up so you could only rep one person then you have to rep 20 others before you can rep that person again. If someone wants to use it to ding me, bring it on. I could care less.

EDIT: It's a nice to know not the be all end all. Half the time I forget about it anyway.

Sourdough
08-28-2008, 06:08 PM
I have seen the light, I have seen the blinding light, O'please forgive me for I have been divisive. I have received a, "BAD DOG" red ticket, from someone for being divisive. Kind of like the "Hall Monitors", in high school giving the student a ticket for talking in the stairwell. Well, one way to play this is to go for a Royal Flush and try to get all RED boxes.

Or just not post, I have to agree with Smokeless, the whole concept is childish, and silly.

And for the record I voted in the negative, when the pole question was asked.

Look, Look I have been divisive AGAIN, "BAD DOG....BAD" Can I give myself a red ticket...??????:p

crashdive123
08-28-2008, 06:51 PM
What's the big deal? When somebody makes a post that inspires someone else, either positively or negatively they may feel compelled to add or subtract to a persons reputation. If you are concerned about it, don't inspire anybody.

Rick
08-28-2008, 07:26 PM
Or simply close the box in your CP and you don't have to look at it. It's not like it affects your income. Childish? No, childish would be throwing a tantrum about it.

Sourdough
08-28-2008, 07:40 PM
Careful, you are close to being divisive. I think the Moderators should have Yellow Flags that they throw if a member is out of bounds. And post them as a yellow badge. They could look like banana peels.

Sourdough
08-28-2008, 10:20 PM
OK, who ever gets 5 straight red negative reputation demerits wins. But they must unbroken by sweet and lovable/fuzzy/cuddly/smooching-up evil green things.

BraggSurvivor
08-28-2008, 10:26 PM
My mom always said I looked handsome in red. :D

FVR
08-28-2008, 10:35 PM
People try to put me down..........talk'n bout my reputation........LOL.

I guess I have a reputation now. Well thank you. However, I can tell ya, chances are it won't be too long before I screw that all up.

smokelessfire
08-29-2008, 11:02 AM
where i have been is not at the computer desk every day looking at every post and having to comment on it. i just show up when i have a question, this site is just another tool in my kit. ya here that y'all? you're nothing but tools! joking, hehehe joking.

Sarge47
08-29-2008, 12:04 PM
It's been about 10 days since ANYBODY has given me any reputation...or 'TUDE for that matter!:rolleyes: C'mon, you can't ALL agree with me! Come give some! I'm feeling very neglected over here!:eek: What's up with you people?:cool:

ryaninmichigan
09-08-2008, 05:52 PM
How come I a rep and can't view it?

crashdive123
09-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Try looking at your CP now. You have to have been given some to view it. I gave you some, so it should show up now along with how many total points you have.

ryaninmichigan
09-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Try looking at your CP now. You have to have been given some to view it. I gave you some, so it should show up now along with how many total points you have.

It says I have 15 rep ponits but can only see the one you gave me. Thanx for the free rep BTW..:D

Rick
09-08-2008, 08:06 PM
He does that to everyone. That's how he gets rep points. Stands on the street corner begging for them. I do see what you are talking about and will have to check on it.

crashdive123
09-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Hey psssst. Yeah - you buddy.....can you spare some rep?

ryaninmichigan
09-08-2008, 08:46 PM
here you go....

Rick
09-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Okay, sorry. I should have known this right off but had to look it up. The number of reputations you see in your User CP is set in an options panel by Chris. It looks like he has it set to 5. So you are only seeing the latest reputations that have been given to you, not all of them (assuming you have received more than five). Can the number be changed? Yes. But what number would be good? 10? 20? I don't think it really matters as long as everyone understands it's just the last 5 reputations that they have received.

trax
09-22-2008, 05:36 PM

Oh God, I get so sick and tired of running into your kind on every corner of the Internet. Why can't you just get off your butt and get out there and earn reputation?? Hmmm??? It was good enough for your parents generation, you...you...layabout...you ne'er-do-well, you bum I think it's just disgusting that you expect hardworking people like us to just have to give away our reputation because you can't get the ambition to get up and earn it for yourself. ...At least get a squeegee and clean some windshields around here! Yeesh!

Fletcher
09-22-2008, 08:36 PM
^^^^^now thats funny^^^^^

crashdive123
09-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Man, this rep stuff is hard work.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2263/2136159540_ed02dc6da6.jpg?v=0

trax
09-23-2008, 01:13 PM
Apparently there's some legislation in place that says I'm not allowed to give you more rep Crash, sorry about that, thanks for the windshield job though, I'll have to owe ya!

Sourdough
09-10-2009, 12:39 PM
some Of These Restrictions Or Rules May Not Apply To Moderators And/or Administrators.

Why.........:)

crashdive123
09-10-2009, 12:41 PM
They apply to me. Hmmmmmmm. Maybe the fledgling moderator is the only one restricted.

Sourdough
09-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Can a member view there entire record of "REP" thingies or only the last few....?

crashdive123
09-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Only the last few.

pocomoonskyeyes
09-10-2009, 01:16 PM
My question is this.... Someone gave me Rep but my "rep points" did not change in numerical value. So what was the point other than someone saying "Good job", which they could've done in the post itself. I would think that everyone even a newbie(Snicker snicker) like Sourdough would have at least 1 point of value and then increasing in value following the guidelines set forth. (I'm having way too much fun tormenting you mods with this) Which I think is Sourdoughs point entirely, just guessing.
All I'm saying is that a "newbie" has no point value in this but some have seriously raised my Rep points with just one of these "attaboys".(not that I can tell that the Rep points have done anything except give me a big head for the first 2 or 3 times - I thought I had DONE SOMETHING, then life settled back to normal LOL)

crashdive123
09-10-2009, 03:16 PM
the Rep points have done anything except give me a big head for the first 2 or 3 times - I thought I had DONE SOMETHING, then life settled back to normal LOL)

Want me to take some away?:lol::lol::lol::lol:

pocomoonskyeyes
09-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Nah! Wait 'til I get 800 then you can have half!! Wait!! I've got an idea we can use them for poker chips!!! No that won't work you only have one color or the other.... Mosaic tiles.... nah....They've got to be good for something!!!
No Seriously the only thing I Don't get is that Newbies like Sourdough can give you "Rep" but It has no point value... Don't Newbies count? I mean I'm still one,If I use it as a means of complimenting someone it means nothing. It's just quicker than saying "Good Post!! (We all know how slow I peck. It took me 5 minutes to do this!!)

Ken
09-10-2009, 03:58 PM
I've got an idea we can use them for poker chips!!!

I'll trade you the last bite of my Snickers bar for two positive Rep Points. :innocent:

crashdive123
09-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Look at it this way. Some "person" signs onto the forum with less than noble intentions. They are some booger eating, pimply faced troll that gets their jollies by disrupting forums. If they do it publicly, they get banned in rather short order. If they do it by other means, it might take longer. Either way, they have to try and get it done before their mom tells them it's bedtime. Because of some of the "safeguards" in the system it just works out that way. Honestly - it's no big deal. This does not seem to be one of those forums where people are judged by how much rep they have, but rather by the content of their posts. I've seen other forums (not saying that they exist) where unless you had half a dozen green thingies or medals under your avatar.

Ken
09-10-2009, 04:04 PM
You left me hanging with that last sentence. :innocent:

pocomoonskyeyes
09-10-2009, 04:08 PM
Look at it this way. Some "person" signs onto the forum with less than noble intentions. They are some booger eating, pimply faced troll that gets their jollies by disrupting forums. If they do it publicly, they get banned in rather short order. If they do it by other means, it might take longer. Either way, they have to try and get it done before their mom tells them it's bedtime. Because of some of the "safeguards" in the system it just works out that way. Honestly - it's no big deal. This does not seem to be one of those forums where people are judged by how much rep they have, but rather by the content of their posts. I've seen other forums (not saying that they exist) where unless you had half a dozen green thingies or medals under your avatar.

Yeah I've seen that metropolis forum and it's medals..Don't care for it at all. Go there just to remind myself of what home really is and is NOT. You know like how do you know you're happy if you're happy all the time? Sometimes you have to leave home to really appreciate it.

crashdive123
09-10-2009, 04:08 PM
And now for the rest of the story.....

I've seen other forums (not saying that they exist) where unless you had half a dozen green thingies or medals under your avatar all of your posts were discounted. Seemed more like a mutual admiration society than a place to exchange meaningful information.

pocomoonskyeyes
09-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Watch it Ken will throw rotten tomatoes at you for impersonating Paul Harvey!!!

Ken
09-10-2009, 04:12 PM
And now for the rest of the story.....

I've seen other forums (not saying that they exist) where unless you had half a dozen green thingies or medals under your avatar all of your posts were discounted. Seemed more like a mutual admiration society than a place to exchange meaningful information.

Yeah. Let's all get warm and fuzzy. :sneaky2:

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

crashdive123
09-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Careful - little groups like that can be hazardous.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fart001.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fart001.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fart001.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fart001.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

COWBOYSURVIVAL
09-10-2009, 06:13 PM
I can't find the reps part of the user control. I must be stupid so feel free to post whatever in mine cause I can't find it anyhow!

pocomoonskyeyes
09-10-2009, 06:21 PM
open your user CP You will see your "Subscribed threads" and below that will be your "Rep received" box.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
09-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Thanks Poco I now have 11 points so has someone else left me rep cause it only shows yours...or did you get me 11 whoping points? I kinda always had a bad rep anyhow...

pocomoonskyeyes
09-10-2009, 06:33 PM
WOW I didn't know I had that much "Rep Power"!!! If mine is the only one you see then yes I gave you 11 points of Rep but I kinda' doubt it.You probably have others... Each line is a Rep someone has given you for that post,up to 5 lines of your most recent Reputation received.After the 6th the 1st goes away so it is only the 5 most recent Rep received.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
09-10-2009, 06:36 PM
I'd say your it....Rep from you is worth what was it 11 or 12 points. Guess I haven't impressed. But really it is not why I am here. I was here first to learn and I enjoy the comradery as well. ( I am sure that is spelled wrong or is it?)

Rick
09-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Look in the left column of your rep and you'll see a small box that is either green, red or violet. That will tell you if the poster gave you positive, negative and neutral reputation. If they gave you neutral then they probably don't have any to give.

Rick
09-10-2009, 06:39 PM
Sorry, Poco. You're current reputation power is 1. You haven't been online long enough or posted enough threads to gain very much power.

nell67
09-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Sorry, Poco. You're current reputation power is 1. You haven't been online long enough or posted enough threads to gain very much power.
So it's actual THREADS you have to post,rather than just posting replie,that add to your "reputation power" or points you gve?

Rick
09-10-2009, 06:44 PM
Sorry. I meant posts.

nell67
09-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Mmkay,just making sure:winkiss:

pocomoonskyeyes
09-10-2009, 07:04 PM

I'm actually surprised I have that much! I say that because of the "guidelines" I'll quote from the very first post in this thread. What I'm curious about is when you get that 1 point? Going by the guidelines I wouldn't think I had any at all! Question #2 How many "points" Does everyone start with?

What are the values for all of the factors affecting my giving reputation power?
The values are as follows: For every 250 number of days, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power. For every 2500 number of posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power. For every 800 points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Rick
09-10-2009, 07:07 PM
How many "points" Does everyone start with?

Everyone starts with a reputation of 10 and reputation power of 0. You have to earn power.

Ken
09-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Everyone starts with a reputation of 10 and reputation power of 0. You have to earn power.

Rick, can you change my join date to May 6, 1908 instead of May 6, 2008? :innocent:

Rick
09-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Sure......

Ken
09-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Sure......

Will you? Please? :innocent: I'll give ya' about 150 rep points if you change it.....

Rick
09-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Uh...No.....

Ken
09-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Uh...No.....

How about http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee93/hefmjk/twinkies.jpg ?

Rick
09-10-2009, 07:31 PM
I could always make your join date May 2012!

crashdive123
09-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Great - just before the end of the world.

Ken
09-10-2009, 07:34 PM
I could always make your join date May 2012!

So, would all my posts disappear? :innocent:

Rick
09-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Actually, you would disappear. Your posts will be here forever.

Ken
09-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Actually, you would disappear. Your posts will be here forever.

There's gotta' be an upside to this - let me think about it. :innocent:

COWBOYSURVIVAL
09-10-2009, 08:18 PM
It sounds like I have my original 10 then + Poco's one..I feel better at least I don't have negative rep....

owl_girl
11-27-2009, 05:14 PM
are you only able to view your own rep?

Rick
11-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Owl Girl - Click on User CP on the left side of the green bar at the top of the page. Inside your Panel you will see a menu on the left side and right in the middle of the page you should see a box that says, Latest Reputation Received. That box will either display all the last reps that you received, if you have it open, or it will just be a green bar, if you have the box closed. Either way, you can see the number of points you've earned on the right side of the green bar. Just to the right of the points is a small square with an arrow. Clicking on it will open and close the box and the listing of reps you have received.

If that doesn't make sense or you have any trouble just let me know.

crashdive123
11-27-2009, 07:10 PM
are you only able to view your own rep?

Additionally - yes - you can only view your own. You can click on the reputation box of other members when they post to get an idea (on a distinguished road, will be famous soon enough, has had a little bad behavior, etc)

owl_girl
11-27-2009, 08:53 PM
Rick,
tanks but i already know how to get to my own rep box.

Crash,
thats cool i didnt know about the rep box on other members post, thanks

pocomoonskyeyes
01-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Ok I am curious about something,concerning "Rep".It states in the first post of this thread by Rick-

Is there a limit to how much reputation I can give out?
Yes. You can only give out no more than 10 reputation points per each 24 hour period. You can give a reputation point to the same user only after you have given reputation to 20 other users. Basically, if you have given 'Joe' a reputation, you must give 20 other members reputation before you can rep Joe again.
I am wondering if this number (20) Can be lowered to say 10 or 15? I ask 'cause it seems like the same people are the ones doing EXCELLENT posts/Threads and I keep being told "spread the love" or whatever it says. I don't mind "spreading the love" but it gets hard to keep giving those that are deserving of it, unless you just "Throw some Rep around". Giving it willy-nilly to whomever just so you can give it to someone who really deserves it.

crashdive123
01-09-2010, 07:36 PM
I don't know if the number can be changed or not. I imagine it can be by the Admins. I know the reasoning for 20 was to prevent somebody that gets PO'd from using it as a childish tool to negatively add rep.

Rick
01-09-2010, 07:47 PM
The reason the numbers are set that way is to keep folks from repping their buddy. Not that anyone on here would do that. But, in theory, I could give Crash rep over and over and over even though he might not have deserved it.

The purpose of reputation is so folks can tell at a glance who contributes good posts versus just posting. So, if someone with three green boxes, for example, talks about making waxed matches then someone relatively new to the forum has some measure of reliability the person can be believed. Not so easy if you don't know the poster.

On the flip side, if I don't like someone and can give then negative rep repeatedly then I artificially lower their rating.

Finally, if someone makes a great post and I've already given them rep then someone else is likely to give them rep. It sort of balances out.

Lowering the numbers has the potential to open the door for misuse.

Sourdough
01-09-2010, 08:07 PM
The WHOLE rep thing sucks............There are not twenty members who post on a consistent basis material worth giving rep points too. And it just sucks when someone repeatedly makes a post that is worthy of casting in gold, the kind of valuable post that takes my breath away, and I can accolade them. Note: I am kind of shy or I would tell you how I really feel.

Rick
01-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Well, I appreciate you wanting to give me all that rep but when you can't Crash and Poco generally do so I understand. I'm flattered, too, that you feel that way. Thanks.

Sourdough
01-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Rick, I have tried to give you Rep and it gets blocked. "Gorbachev, tear down this wall". Reduce the wall to TEN.

crashdive123
01-09-2010, 09:19 PM
You can see your own by clicking on your User CP.

Rick
01-10-2010, 12:04 AM
I have 112 points if that helps you any.

Sourdough
01-10-2010, 12:11 AM

Nope........no help to me, but thank. Could Chris lower the cycle to 10 if he chose to do so.........?

Rick
01-10-2010, 12:13 AM
I don't know what the setting are to be frank. I suspect he can. I suspect he can set it to 0. What happens when someone wants to lower it to 5? I'm not certain where the magic number is but we can certainly take it forward and present it to him.

Sourdough
01-10-2010, 12:17 AM
I don't know what the setting are to be frank. I suspect he can. I suspect he can set it to 0. What happens when someone wants to lower it to 5? I'm not certain where the magic number is but we can certainly take it forward and present it to him.

I request that you do that. Thank you.

Rick
01-10-2010, 12:19 AM
Already done. I was doing when you posted.

Sourdough
01-10-2010, 12:31 AM
Thank You, :):):)

rwc1969
01-10-2010, 01:11 AM

112 isn't enough. Maybe if you had 115 or so, but then only maybe. :)

Doesn't really help me, but thanks. I just look at what people post and can pretty much figure out from there if it all sounds reasonable or not.

I just mentioned it for people that used the rep feature to determine a user's reliability. Then it might be helpful.

I'm not too up on the forum features. I only recently figured out how to proplerly view blogs and that there are user groups and such.:blushing:

your_comforting_company
01-10-2010, 06:16 AM
I have to agree, but I think that the 20 is definately too high... There's lots of posts in the last few days that move me deeply and I can't give the persons rep for it. I think it should be 0 so that we can give rep freely. otherwise it's like limiting the amount of respect we can give other members that are more than wise in their ways and contribute much of the info on the boards.
Can we set up a poll for the cycle count?

Camp10
01-10-2010, 08:09 AM
As I understand it though (from what I think Crash posted earlier) lowering the number also means some jerk can pile the negative rep on you if they dont like you for any reason. I'm not sure that is such a good idea. I dont know if it would be possible to leave the negative the way it is but lower the number for the positive rep....

Sourdough
01-10-2010, 08:32 AM
How I see it, is Chris gets paid for clicks, hits, traffic, viewers coming here. Viewers come for quality content and/or entertainment. It is in Chris's interest to support us, by creating the tools where-by we can support, reward, acknowledge quality, useful, well presented information.

One way is you get to 100 post and your rep-cycle drops to 10 from 20. When you get to 200 post your rep-cycle drops to 5, get to 500 posts there is no constraint. The other thing is Reputation points could be be removed for behavior unbecoming to a member.

Camp10
01-10-2010, 08:44 AM
The other thing is Reputation points could be be removed for behavior unbecoming to a member.

This is the part about changing it that I am concerned about. I see you have two green boxes now and I believe you deserve them. I would never leave negative rep but others might. If there is no limit to the amount of negative you can leave then one person that is upset with just one of your posts can clean you out. I'm sure the mods could fix this but that is just one more thing they might have to deal with. Just my 2 cents!

Sourdough
01-10-2010, 09:30 AM
No.....I was not clear, the points could only be removed by the Mods. and for good cause. In fact I see no value in having the RED or Negative rep available for members to use against other members.

Camp10
01-10-2010, 09:32 AM
No.....I was not clear, the points could only be removed by the Mods. and for good cause. Infact I see no value in having the RED or Negative rep ability for members.

Well then I am in full agreement with you on this.

Rick
01-10-2010, 09:47 AM
I've forwarded the concern to Chris. I see some very valid arguments pro and con. Reducing the number or eliminating it all together opens the door for abuse. However, as mods, we've seen posts we'd like to rep and are prevented from doing so because of the settings. We've talked about that very thing. Abuse can be managed assuming it isn't rampant and I don't see that being an issue with this community.

Sourdough, your suggestion of removing reputation points for improper behavior is an intriguing idea. I'll pass that along as well.

crashdive123
01-10-2010, 09:50 AM
I don't know if it is possible in the software to change the number of "reps" that have to be distributed based on the number of posts a member has, but I like the idea.

I tried to give you some rep for that Sourdough, but it would not let me.

Rick
01-10-2010, 09:55 AM
I don't understand the incentive or why you would want the reputation to drop. If someone is providing quality posts why penalize them for doing it?

Assuming the member is concerned about reputation, doesn't setting a target number like 500 provide an incentive to make that many posts, regardless of quality, just to make the target? Looks like a sales incentive to me. But as I said, I don't understand it. Perhaps a bit more explanation would help.

crashdive123
01-10-2010, 09:59 AM
The way I took it was kind of like the system is set up now where longevity and number of posts increases your rep power, so too would the same criteria change the frequency for which you could add rep to an individual.

Rick
01-10-2010, 10:03 AM
So 3 green bars and 10,000 posts let's you place immediate rep, for example, while 1 green bar and 500 posts restrict you to rep'ing 10 other folks before you can rep the same person? I like that idea a lot but I don't think the software is designed to do that. That's a bit like the elders bringing the younger ones along. I like that idea.

crashdive123
01-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Something like that. As you said - don't know that the software would support it or not, but something along those lines.

Camp10
01-10-2010, 10:08 AM
If that was possible, then that would be a great way to do it.

pocomoonskyeyes
01-15-2010, 02:39 AM
Additionally - yes - you can only view your own. You can click on the reputation box of other members when they post to get an idea (on a distinguished road, will be famous soon enough, has had a little bad behavior, etc)

Out of all the members here only 5 have two green bars, two have one red bar and all the rest except for Chris have one green bar. Chris has rep disabled. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/memberlist.php?&order=DESC&sort=reputation&pp=30

It'd be nice to see the actual rep. points a member has.

thanks! it'd be nice to see others. Unless you're a fortunate two barrer, ^ :), there's no way to tell if a person is more reputable based on the current setup.

I think it'd be nice to lower the 20 limit as well considering there are probably only 20 members who regularly post.

It's no biggee to me. I didn't even use it until I looked at my user cP and saw I had rep. I was surprised! I figure I should start dishing some out as well if justified.
There are 5 Different "Levels" of Reputation so far. May change after someone gets 3 green thingies( or two or more Red:eek:). They are, going from Lowest to highest:
1)"Has had a little Shameless behavior in the past" Represented by one Red bar thingie.

2) This one applies only to Chris, the owner of the forum. He has a Gray box and it says: "Disabled Rep"

The next is for those who have just one green thingie, yet there are two/three different phrases you may see.
3)"Is an unknown quantity at this point"
4)"is on a distinguished road"
both of the above apply to those with just one green box.
The next phrase will apply to those with either just one or with two green boxes. The fifth (so far) phrase is:
5) "Will become famous soon enough"
To see these "levels" just rest your cursor on the reputation box(es) and the phrase will pop up.

As I understand it though (from what I think Crash posted earlier) lowering the number also means some jerk can pile the negative rep on you if they dont like you for any reason. I'm not sure that is such a good idea. I dont know if it would be possible to leave the negative the way it is but lower the number for the positive rep....

OK after doing a little "research" on this reputation thing. The only possible negative Reputations would occur with those who have the phrase(s) 1 & 3 above. I think. I think those with the "unknown qty." phrase started with the Normal 10 rep points and had some detracted.
By far and large the vast majority of members have either the level 4 or 5 phrase applied to them. Those with phrase #3 (unknown qty.phrase) are fewer than 100 members.(I didn't count) Of those I only recognized one person as a regular member that posts. Only two have the lowest Rep rating.and Chris is the only one with Rep disabled. So assuming that my "Guesstimation" is correct, Only 100+/- have the lowest two phrases, and Chris' is disabled. EVERYONE ELSE has positive Rep. SO having said all that it would seem to me that the concern for "Rep abuse" is a poor argument at best.(I think this says a LOT about the maturity level [regardless of age] of the entire membership here)

Yes someone may get a red thingie every now and then. Heck I might get one for this post but it won't change the way I eat breakfast or where I eat it!LOL :drool:{Did someone say breakfast?)

But I think from this limited research that the "Rep" thing is being used in a positive way. In RWC's post that I quoted above there were only 5 with double green, now there are 8 I believe. I think this is proof positive that the Rep system is being used in a positive manner. Just wanted to throw this out there, it's just my 2 cents worth.

your_comforting_company
03-07-2010, 08:25 AM
I've tried for the last 3 days to give rep to at least 10 different people. There's been some good posts lately that I've really enjoyed. I haven't been able to give rep to anyone. Keeps telling me I gotta spread it around.
I'm a little frustrated that I can't tell these folks with rep that their posts were very good. What are we gonna do about this?

Sourdough
03-07-2010, 08:44 AM
I got a RED one, I just got a big fat bold flashing RED one. I got another demerit.....:cold::cold::cold:

Camp10
03-07-2010, 08:47 AM
I got a RED one, I just got a big fat bold flashing RED one. I got another demerit.....:cold::cold::cold:

Yeah, I got a red once on a welcome post in the intro's!! :)

Sourdough
03-07-2010, 08:53 AM
But mine came from Sarge so it counts extra.

Sourdough
03-07-2010, 08:59 AM
The comment that they left said "SILLY"..........imagine that on this forum being accused of being "SILLY".:clap:

crashdive123
03-07-2010, 09:22 AM
YCC - the way it is set up is that you have to give out 20 different ones before you can give rep to the same person.

crashdive123
03-07-2010, 09:22 AM
As far as negative rep and being silly? Heck I've gotten a green one and red one for the exact same post. Go figure.

Camp10
03-07-2010, 09:55 AM
I've only been told to spread some rep a few times. It might be that I have the wrong idea but I tend to give rep for things that I find helpful, etc. It's more like a hall pass than your virginity...you dont have to hold it for that one special post!

your_comforting_company
03-07-2010, 10:09 AM
20 is just too many.

You know if you made a good post recently guys.. I tried to give you rep, but until we get several more folks making useful / worthwhile posts I can't give you any more. Sorry, but the rules are the rules. Just know that I tried to. You know who you are!

Rick
03-07-2010, 10:20 AM
This is something that's being discussed. I hope we have a resolution soon. I feel the same way because I get hit with the "spread the love" bug, too. You guys that have received negative rep, you can't see who gave it? Don't you have a column that says "Posted by"?

Camp10
03-07-2010, 10:27 AM
You guys that have received negative rep, you can't see who gave it? Don't you have a column that says "Posted by"?

Nope. Just 3 lines. a link to the post, the date and what the comment was.

Rick
03-07-2010, 10:31 AM
That's a different view than I have. I can see who posted for me, which I think is nice.

Sourdough
03-07-2010, 10:43 AM
You guys that have received negative rep, you can't see who gave it? Don't you have a column that says "Posted by"?

NO........But it is fairly easy to guess, based on the referenced post.

red lake
03-07-2010, 10:46 AM
That's awesome system. I have three bad ones...no good ones.

How many bad ones til I can't post anymore?

nell67
03-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Yeah, I got a red once on a welcome post in the intro's!! :)
LOL,I got one for that once as well,but I KNOW who did it,because he mentioned on the forum once that I had 2000 posts or more only in the intro thread, I think he is still lurking on the forum!

Sourdough
03-07-2010, 10:59 AM

Get "Four of a Kind"......and you win a set of: Gin-zo Steak Knives.........:clap:

crashdive123
03-07-2010, 11:07 AM

At least your posts are inspiring some people.

Justin Case
03-07-2010, 11:22 AM
I Have 2, One green one for a funny post from my Ol Buddy Ken :) and One Red one for meeting Sarge :sneaky2:

LOL

Sourdough
03-07-2010, 11:36 AM
SO, do the RED ones count against the green. does your total points go down because of the red thingies.

Sarge47
03-07-2010, 11:51 AM

I gave you a "positive" & now your green! Enjoy! :cool2:

Rick
03-07-2010, 11:59 AM
The short answer is yes. Negative rep subtracts from Positive rep. Chris will have to answer how much, however. That's set in the admin tables. Based on what I can see, it might be 4 points for each negative rep.

Just as a reminder, negative rep isn't for when you simply disagree with a post of don't like a post for that matter. It should be reserved for something a little stronger. From the instructions:

When should/shouldn't I give negative reputation?
The issue of when you should give negative reputation is a tough one. Unlike positive reputation, do NOT give a member negative reputation ("rep" for short) if you simply disagree with them. For example, if a member posts a post stating that they believe the Rambo knives are the best and you disagree, do not give them negative reputation. It will not prove anything for yourself and will just make you look like an angry person who can't accept anyone disagreeing with your opinions. Basically speaking, only give negative reputation in extreme situations. If the person is personally insulting you, harassing other members, being rude and nasty, you may think about giving negative reputation. Please note that abusing the reputation system may result in disciplinary actions.

Ken
03-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Is that a word? de-fam-a-tor-y!

It sure is, RWC! If you want examples of "defamatory," just look at what 2dumb posts about me. :sneaky2:

Justin Case
03-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Ouch !,,,,,

Ken
03-07-2010, 01:25 PM
That's defamatory? I thought that was called brutal honesty. :)

:sneaky2:

BENESSE
03-07-2010, 01:30 PM
It's only defamatory when it isn't true.:)

Ken
03-07-2010, 01:31 PM
It's only defamatory when it isn't true.:)

That's exactly my point. :sneaky2:

BENESSE
03-07-2010, 01:32 PM
That's exactly my point. :sneaky2:

Right.:sneaky2:

Camp10
03-07-2010, 03:14 PM
LOL,I got one for that once as well,but I KNOW who did it,because he mentioned on the forum once that I had 2000 posts or more only in the intro thread, I think he is still lurking on the forum!

At least I'm in good company!!:)

red lake
03-07-2010, 09:44 PM
Thanks Sarge!

your_comforting_company
03-31-2010, 01:08 PM
Ok.. I've tried to give rep to several people over the last few days. Has anything been decided about lowering the number of pass-arounds before you can give rep to the same person again? Some really good stuff has come across the boards in the last couple days and doggone it, I wanna let folks know their contributions are good without posting the gratuitous "Good Post". all those "good post" comments tend to clutter the thread.
I was just curious if anything had been decided.

Sourdough
03-31-2010, 01:15 PM
Chris has decided to change it to TEN from TWENTY, for any member with at least 100 posts. And is considering changing it to only FIVE for members with 500 or more posts........:innocent:

your_comforting_company
03-31-2010, 01:29 PM
excellent. Thanks

Rick
03-31-2010, 04:30 PM
You guys are making this moderating gig really really easy.

doug1980
03-31-2010, 04:50 PM
I need to start posting some good stuff so I can build up my rep. Mine is pathetic. :)

Ken
03-31-2010, 05:07 PM
I need to start posting some good stuff so I can build up my rep. Mine is pathetic. :)

Check it again. :innocent:

Justin Case
03-31-2010, 05:16 PM
And again :)

hunter63
02-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Bump
So like how do you see what you have these days?
Used to be look under CP?
Just curious....................

Pocomoonskyeyes3
02-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Chris has decided to change it to TEN from TWENTY, for any member with at least 100 posts. And is considering changing it to only FIVE for members with 500 or more posts........:innocent:

5 sounds like a reasonable number.
Hunter look in your "settings" then scroll down.

Justin Case
02-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Bump
So like how do you see what you have these days?
Used to be look under CP?
Just curious....................

Click on "settings" upper right,, then scroll down ;)

hunter63
02-06-2011, 02:36 PM
Well, Duh....There it is!
Thanks boys.

Pocomoonskyeyes3
02-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Well, Duh....There it is!
Thanks boys.

No Problem H63. It feels good to help others.

Justin Case
02-06-2011, 03:58 PM
No Problem H63. It feels good to help others.

oops, I didnt realize we posted at the same time :)

Pocomoonskyeyes3
02-06-2011, 04:01 PM
oops, I didnt realize we posted at the same time :)
LOL It's all good....Good to know that others on the Forum are willing to help when we can. Which I think this site is blessed with an abundance of such folks.

Ssgt_DimeBag
04-06-2011, 12:08 AM
6573So is there a reason why my wife an I can only give positive rep.?
And do the Mods and staff control the rep.?Say if someone gave me rep. can a Mod or staff come and take it away?It seems the 10 rep. spread then you can give it to the first is not working for us either.

Camp10
04-06-2011, 06:10 AM
6573So is there a reason why my wife an I can only give positive rep.?
And do the Mods and staff control the rep.?Say if someone gave me rep. can a Mod or staff come and take it away?It seems the 10 rep. spread then you can give it to the first is not working for us either.

Only mods can leave neg rep. The administrators can change rep but I doubt they ever have. As far as the 10 rep spread, I think that number depends on how many posts you have made (or something like that). I'm sure Rick or Crash can clear it up better.

crashdive123
04-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Camp10 is correct. Only mods/admin can give negative rep. Wasn't always that way, but the story is long and convoluded. Everybody starts out with 10 rep points. As members give out rep to your posts, that number will increase. The "rep power", or number of points that are given depends on several factors (number of posts, how long you've been a member, et). When a new person gives rep, it adds 0 points and shows up on your setting page with a little grey box. When Rick, for example gives rep it adds several point (based on his number of posts and longevity) and shows up on your settings page with a little green box. If you receive negative rep it will show up with a little red box.

Rick
04-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Only having joined in March it's going to be a while before you see any significant changes in your reputation. Your reputation level is 1, Your reputation power is 10 and your join date was in March. You're kinda in the basement at this point. But, that's where everyone starts.

mesterwill
02-26-2020, 06:30 PM
Thats really informative.thanks.

****************************** bye bye.

Rick
02-26-2020, 06:51 PM
Algeria again? Sheesh.

chiggersngrits
06-01-2020, 06:32 PM
I have been a member for a little while but haven't been able to give rep for it seems like 6 months.

On another note I noticed that when I logged in today, I started getting warnings that this is not a secure site. I went to another forum I am a member of, not survival related, and it had the little lock in the box so i figured it was not something on my end.

Rick
06-01-2020, 07:03 PM
What happens if you click on the "sheriff's badge" to give reputation?

What browser are you using? I'm using Chrome and I don't receive the warning when I log in.

chiggersngrits
06-01-2020, 08:50 PM
Using Edge 83 on Windows 10. As far as the rep it just says, you must spread some rep before you can give any to Rick or Crash or Krat or Alan or Rebel or whoever. I thought I was spreading purty good.

crashdive123
06-01-2020, 08:56 PM
Before you can "give rep" to someone that you have already given it to, you must have "reped" ten other people first.

chiggersngrits
06-01-2020, 09:28 PM
I knew that Crash, but I usually don't rep til a member becomes somewhat established in my mind. I guess that limits my opportunities.
Any way big thanks to you and Rick for all the hard work ya'll do to keep things running smooth.

Rick
06-02-2020, 08:07 AM
If you can, try using another browser to log in and see if you still receive that error. I don't receive it so I'm wondering if the browser is returning it. You might trying dumping cache too and see if that will clear it.

chiggersngrits
06-02-2020, 06:32 PM
Dinner at moms house tomorrow, I will get my brother to take a look, he is the family IT guy. Thanks Rick