PDA

View Full Version : Hi from... the other side of the big pond!

akumabito
08-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Hi everyone! Sorry I rushed off and started posting before introducing myself. I guess I just missed the intro board when I first glanced over the forum.

Anyhow, here's the story of my life. Pay attention, because I'll only be telling it once. :D

A long time ago, my parents used to run a company organizing survival trips/courses. We mainly went to Scotland in the summer months, and Sweden during the winter. My father was an experienced outdoorsman, and somewhat of a collector of books on the topic.

Sadly, he passed away when I was eight years old. After my father's death, my mom closed the company, and that was pretty much the end of the family adventure. I'd like to think that somehow his passion for travel, and his love for the outdoors is in my blood though.

Over the years I've read and re-read his book collection on survival techniques, camping and outdoor activities with varying degrees of interest. Just a few months ago, I picked up some of the books again and I am left with this urge to somehow continue his work.

So at this moment I am putting aside some money, I will start taking a number of courses soon, and I am hoping I can find employment with one of the many survival/bushcraft schools in the UK to gain some hands-on experience.

I am hoping to one day become knowledgeable and experienced enough to re-open the old family business. It's gonna be a few years though, so fingers crossed it'll all work out!

So, that's pretty much it.. thanks for reading all that! 9though I don't blame you if you just skipped ahead to the end ;) ) If there's anything else you'd liek to know about me, feel free to ask!

crashdive123
08-15-2008, 08:20 PM
Hello and welcome.

Rick
08-15-2008, 08:22 PM
Welcome home. If you can dream it, you can do it! Go for it.

nell67
08-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Riverrat
08-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Welcome....keep the dream.

skunkkiller
08-16-2008, 05:48 PM
welcome and good luck on the bussiness

trax
08-18-2008, 02:19 PM
Welcome and if that business doesnt' work out you can shorten your user name to aku and open a convenience store...no wait....never mind...welcome aboard anyway!:D

Beo
08-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Hi back at ya from... the other side of the big pond!

Gray Wolf
08-18-2008, 05:10 PM
Welcome, make yourself at home. What are some of your dad's "oldest" books?