PDA

View Full Version : shelters

WildGoth
08-18-2007, 02:37 PM
does anyone have any infomation on shelters like how to build them and what kind of place they would be useful and pics of how to make it if possible since shelter are my weakest skill

owl_girl
08-18-2007, 02:50 PM
There is info already on this site about that
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/shelters-2.php :D

Sarge47
08-18-2007, 03:57 PM
If you don't own the book Vol West was talking about, get an older copy of the "Boy Scout Handbook. It'll do for a start.;)

wareagle69
08-19-2007, 08:44 AM
either look up on line then print off and make your own survival book or head to chapters or my fav amazon.com. the easiest shelter would be the one that you have practised building in controled situations then you mind will be able to be calm and your body react more smoohly in a shtf application.

good questions though kid keep them coming.

always be prepared

Fog_Harbor
08-19-2007, 10:57 AM
Yeah, there are SO many different types of shelters, so it all depends on where you live, or where you travel. Stick with the suggestions above, but try to learn at least one shelter for everywhere you might find yourself, and in any season.

WildGoth
08-21-2007, 06:36 PM
yeah that is wht i'm trying to do fog it is just hard to find good info on how to build shelters i have tried the ones i have seen here but it has been very hard for me

wareagle69
08-21-2007, 06:41 PM
to quote a famous saying "just do it"

FVR
08-23-2007, 10:15 PM
Insta shelter.

9'x9' canvas drop cloth.

7 stones, 7 pieces of small rope. Tie stones in the canvas with rope and you have 3 out of 4 sides you can tie down.

This little roll, you don'e even need to water proof because as long as you don't touch it when water is on it, it won't leak.

You can; roll yourself up in it like a blanket, taco shelter, or find two limbs, prop up one end and you have a lean to, or you can build a little frame and drape it over it like the little wedge tents, or you can hang it between four trees for a cover tarp.

If you want to treat it, go get some deck sealer, spray and let dry. Or you can do the prim thing with boiled linseed oil, or some gents even paint theirs with latex paint.

You can't beat a piece of canvas. Last set up, roll it out on the ground on a nice sunny day at a rendezvous, use your blanket as a pillow, and just lay back and absorb the sun while your flint and steel fire heats up your cup of water to make beef buillon or hot tea.

spiritman
08-24-2007, 02:17 AM
The improv grommet trick is a money saver! you don't have to punch holes in anything, and They are stronger than most "real" grommets.

WildGoth
08-24-2007, 03:40 PM
a couple days ago me and my friends building a teepee now we are working on weaveing the outside

spiritman
08-25-2007, 01:16 PM
Well I think I see your problem with shelters. Unless you want the teepee permanent weaving anything is way to much effort and skill for a temp shelter, just lay it on nice, keep it simple.

wareagle69
08-25-2007, 01:45 PM
although practicing a permanant shelter does not hurt either if you need to use it long term good to know what materials last longer and are more wheather proof.

spiritman
08-25-2007, 01:49 PM
Agreed, practice both easy fast temporary, and tougher, more permanent shelters. They aren't so tough once you get the hang on them.

Fog_Harbor
08-26-2007, 05:35 PM
You do not own the FM 21-76 WildGoth ?

You can download a copy from some of the military sites, just google FM 21 - 76, and you'll get a bunch of hits.

WildGoth
08-27-2007, 05:02 AM
i already found and download it

ATough
08-29-2007, 01:06 PM
you should buy a plastic tarp, 6'x12', and it is great in waterproofing your shelter. plus it can be used alone to make a crude shelter.

WildGoth
08-30-2007, 12:54 AM
okay i will

survivalhike
09-04-2007, 10:46 PM
There is a DVD by Gene Ward called "Survival and Outdoor Safety, Survival Beyone the Ten Essentials" that I bought at Sportsmans Warehouse that goes into detail on shelter making using a large clear plastic bag. Though I am not a big fan of his use of zip-ties as survival shelter making equipment, he does well in his explanations.

I will concede that if you have a survival kit that you can have anything you want to in it, but if the zip-ties are one time use then they are only good for one shelter, and you would have to take a grip load of them into the field to be practical. But I have duct tape in my kit so who knows I guess.

I like the plastic bag idea for an emergency shelter because it's waterproof, wind proof, bug proof, and can be thrown up pretty quickly. Also, you can have a second bag to crawl into as an emergency sleeping bag and it will keep you warm. These bags crush down to nothing and a few of them will take up less space than a space blanket will in your kit.