PDA

View Full Version : New addition to kit: Dawn

bulrush
08-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Dawn dishwashing liquid, with oxyclean. I got a touch of poison ivy this past weekend. So I washed the area with Dawn and COLD water, and, 12 hrs later, no more itching.

I think I'll add some to my bug out kit.

nell67
08-13-2008, 03:13 PM
bulrush,use it to shower in after each trip where you may contact ivy,before you do anything else and the hottest water you can stand,washes the oils down the drain,I have used it for several years now and have not broken out with it since I started using it.

Also wash your clothes in it as well.

skunkkiller
08-13-2008, 03:54 PM
put some in a bucket of water and pour it on the ground where you think there are some night crawlers and watch them come right out of thier holes dip in clean water put in sherdded news paper you now have all the bait you will ever need.

canid
08-13-2008, 05:28 PM
you know that the sooner you wash the oils off the affected area the less severe the reaction will be and if you get it right away, you can sometimes avoid the rash all together?

any liquid dish soap should be effective enough on oils to do this. it's what i use on my clothing when i forget i have been through poison oak. i have no sensitivity, so it's easy to fail to think about it, bring the clothing home and get other people in my household with it.

crashdive123
08-14-2008, 04:25 PM
Nice idea on the dish soap - thanks.

Ole WV Coot
08-14-2008, 05:24 PM
I may be wrong, not the first time, but I would think that hot water would open the pores and make a place for the oil to hang in. I really would depend more on jewel weed asap. I am not bothered by it so I have no practical experience.

FVR
08-14-2008, 07:24 PM
Dawn also works well when getting oils out of hides that you want to tan.

crashdive123
08-24-2008, 11:10 AM
....and it leaves your coat shiney and soft.

canid
08-24-2008, 05:22 PM
this time of year every hair i feel move is a tick.

Rick
08-24-2008, 07:15 PM
At my age I'm just glad I have hair to move!

RobertRogers
08-25-2008, 08:19 AM
Thats funny you mention Dawn- that is exactly what I use whenever I come in from a hike. Nips poison ivy in the bud, or at least lessens its severity.

However once I "catch" poison ivy its too late. Sure, the Dawn probably helps get rid of some of the oils, but my body is already making the antigens that are the real cause of the problem. By then nature has to take its course.

Rick
08-25-2008, 12:43 PM
And nature being what it is you just hike right back out there and get some Jewelweed. TaDa!!