PDA

View Full Version : Reputation

Chris
08-13-2008, 12:45 PM
There is a system I can turn on, I thought you guys might like it, but I thought you might not.

It is called reputation.

How it works is if you think someone had a useful post, you can give them reputation. How much you give is dependent on your post count and membership time.

For every 1000 posts you can give 1 point per vote

For every 1 year you can give 1 point per vote.

So the long term active forum member giving you a pat on the back means more than a newbie giving you a pat on the back.

Reputation is then displayed on the left side of a user's posts with the other data.

You cannot also vote for the same person in a short amount of time. You have to spread your votes around.

So, some of you complain about not knowing the quality of the person answering your posts, reputation is a way to quantify their quality, this is a good thing.

A bad thing is that the reputation can lead to people taking it too seriously, having reputation fights, trying to manipulate the system, getting bitter when they don't get reputation, giving reputation to try to obligate the other person into giving it back.

So, does this sound like something you want?

Beo
08-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Sure, although we old pack members know who knows what its a good tool.
I can tell what someone knows from what they post but, others can't so it sounds good. BTW does it include blogs?
Beo,

trax
08-13-2008, 12:50 PM
I don't know man, I spent most of my life having a bad reputation, but not as far as the wilderness was concerned so ummmm, good with me if it's good with the other folks.

nell67
08-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Hmmm,a reputation was something I tried to avoid most of my life,whatever everyone else wants is good with me as well.

crashdive123
08-13-2008, 02:29 PM
It may be a useful tool for new members seeking advice. It may lead to some of the regular members being part of a clique......oh wait - that all ready happened. Go for it.

Ole WV Coot
08-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Fine with me. I don't have anything to hide except the last 60yrs of my life. The first few are good I think.

Sourdough
08-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Gee, I have not figured out the "FRIENDS" thing yet. So what is with the friends thing...?

So, if I have enough friends they can help build the Barn.....? or loan me money for the Barn.....?

Rick
08-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Never a borrower or a borrower be, Hopeak. You can be a lender if you want. I can always use cash.

Let 'er rip, Chris!

canid
08-13-2008, 05:31 PM
sure, i don't see why not. i'm still vying for second place smart a@#. this could be like the qualifying round.

Rick
08-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Second place?

Sarge47
08-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Yeah, launch that puppy! I've already been dissed by Ranger Rick so what do I care?:rolleyes: Not to mention the 4...er...2...er maybe 1 person who's just recently departed. Now the rest of you'll have to be nice to me or I'll.....:eek:

crashdive123
08-13-2008, 07:34 PM
I kind of look at being dissed by ARR as a badge of honor.....and I wear it proudly.

BraggSurvivor
08-13-2008, 07:36 PM
Oh oh, now I'm in trouble. Ahh what the hell, I vote yes.

klkak
08-13-2008, 09:51 PM
My vote is Yes because I care.

DOGMAN
08-14-2008, 01:40 AM
neutral here

Beo
08-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Come on JM take a side... lol... this is important stuff here :D

Chris
08-15-2008, 11:10 AM
okay, I turned it on. I also turned on profile customization (you can change colors and stuff).

Your reputation is a little green pip down below your avatar.

To give it to someone you use the scale icon below the pip.

Rick
08-15-2008, 01:27 PM
Careful, Jason. You could roll backwards in neutral.

Hey, look! I'm green. Probably with envy.

TrappinGal
08-17-2008, 10:12 AM
i have the similar system on my site. its called karma.

we can take karma away too if we dont like a post that a members made.

Chris
08-17-2008, 01:07 PM
the problem with allowing negative hits is that it can lead to animosity.

Sarge47
08-17-2008, 01:51 PM
the problem with allowing negative hits is that it can lead to animosity.

What are you talking about & how do we know when someone, including ourselves receives Negative rep. feedback?:confused:

Rick
08-17-2008, 06:26 PM
From the vBulletin manual:

"User Reputation in its simplest form is a ranking of your user's benefit to your forum. Its basis comes from the opinions of all of your forum users that choose (to) take part in it.

Users gain and lose reputation based on how their posts are scored by other forum participants. Users with the ability to affect reputation, will either give or take away points by approving or disapproving with a post's content.

User reputation can be a divisive element of (the) forum..."

In other words, if I don't like you then I'll just disapprove anything you post thereby taking points away from you. Sort of a childish thing to do if you think about it but not everyone is all grown up.

Don't forget to review Chris's first post on this thread that explains how reputation points work.

Sarge47
08-17-2008, 06:55 PM
From the vBulletin manual:

"User Reputation in its simplest form is a ranking of your user's benefit to your forum. Its basis comes from the opinions of all of your forum users that choose (to) take part in it.

Users gain and lose reputation based on how their posts are scored by other forum participants. Users with the ability to affect reputation, will either give or take away points by approving or disapproving with a post's content.

User reputation can be a divisive element of (the) forum..."

In other words, if I don't like you then I'll just disapprove anything you post thereby taking points away from you. Sort of a childish thing to do if you think about it but not everyone is all grown up.

Don't forget to review Chris's first post on this thread that explains how reputation points work.
Huh?:confused: I reviewed Chris' 1st post before I posted. I still don't understand. How do we know if there was any negative stuff? As far as I can see clicking on the "scales" icon tells me how many points I have. Do I just keep clicking every once in awhile to see if I'm gaining or losing? Does the little green icon turn red? Inquiring minds want to know?

Rick
08-17-2008, 07:16 PM
Sorry, Sarge. My comment wasn't directed at you but everyone at large. If Chris has the default set up then the reputation should appear something like

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q348/safe_zone/rep.png

under your avatar on the left. Depending on how many points you have, of course.

Rick
08-17-2008, 07:45 PM
If you click on your User CP you can see all the clicks on reputation you received along with any comments that were left.

Sarge47
08-17-2008, 09:05 PM
If you click on your User CP you can see all the clicks on reputation you received along with any comments that were left.
Sorry dawg, but there's nothing in my user CP regarding Reputation. Did the "cyber-trolls" steal it?:eek::confused::rolleyes::cool:

crashdive123
08-18-2008, 05:54 AM
Sarge - I think it means that knowbody has "given you reputation" yet. I'll give ya some on one of your posts - see if that works.

Omid
08-18-2008, 10:09 AM
seems helpful

I had something like that on my forum but it was based on the number of posts to see who's more advanced etc...

Sarge47
08-18-2008, 11:55 AM
My problem was I was clicking on the UCP at the top of the page, however, when I clicked on it way down in the "Forum Jump" area that's where it showed up. Thanks Rick & Crash for all of your help!:D

TrappinGal
08-18-2008, 04:11 PM
i guess it depends on the people involved. the whole karma system is all in good fun,imo.