PDA

View Full Version : Banana Raspberry Jam

Chris
08-12-2008, 07:18 PM
First time making jam, this stuff turned out really good,w asn't really following a recipe so much as combining multiple recipes and winging it.

I had 13 cups of frozen berries from my garden -- I don't get 13 cups in a day, so I had kept freezing them until I had a bunch, 1 whole gallon bag full, it was 3 pounds seven ounces.

I added 3 very ripe bananas.

Added 1 cup of rum, 1 cup of light cranberry juice (only non-lemon juice in the house) and a couple tablespoons of lemon juice. I also tossed in some citric acid I had from cheesemaking because I thought, can't hurt right?

I got that boiling then ran it through a food mill to get rid of most of the seeds.

Then boiled it up again, added 1 pkg of no-sugar-needed pectin, 3 cups of splenda, 3 cups of sugar. I didn't want to only use splenda, since it doesn't have the preservative properties of sugar.

Made 9 small jars.

It was maybe too sweet though, I think in the future I would add less sugar. Definitely less.

It formed up really good, lids sealed nice. And was really really tasty, you can really taste both the banana and the raspberry.

nell67
08-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Rum,eh? sounds awesome Chris.

Rick
08-12-2008, 08:24 PM
3 cups of splenda? That's like, what, 1000 packs you had to open?:D

Sounds really good!

crashdive123
08-12-2008, 08:51 PM
You've got to like a breakfast spread that has a bit of eye opening quality in the morning.

Beo
08-13-2008, 09:13 AM
Sounds good Chris, congrats. I wonder can one make banana jam?
I love bananas, even got banana twinkies now.

Chris
08-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Yup... you can make banana jam.. that is how I knew to add the rum... apparently banana rum jam tastes good.

This begs the question though, why can't you buy banana jam in the store?

Chris
08-13-2008, 12:36 PM
also... I used some appleton light rum from jamaica I had from our last trip there.... and the alcohol burns off in the cooking, most of it anyways, so you're just using it for flavor.

Beo
08-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Great thanks

Chris
04-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Remade it today. 3 pounds, 5 ounces of frozen raspberries, the last of what I got last year. 3 ripe bananas. 1 cup of rum, 1 cup of light cranberry juice. 1 package of Ball's "no sugar needed" pectin. 3 cups sugar, 1/4 cup honey. pinch of salt.

Tastes much better than last time (atleast in the licking the spoon test) not quite as overpowering sweet, made 7 jars.

I've decided that my raspberry patch (4x8) probably puts out enough berries to provide all our jam needs for a year if I made it all into jam. Thats pretty good.

Alpine_Sapper
04-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Remade it today. 3 pounds, 5 ounces of frozen raspberries, the last of what I got last year. 3 ripe bananas. 1 cup of rum, 1 cup of light cranberry juice. 1 package of Ball's "no sugar needed" pectin. 3 cups sugar, 1/4 cup honey. pinch of salt.

Tastes much better than last time (atleast in the licking the spoon test) not quite as overpowering sweet, made 7 jars.

I've decided that my raspberry patch (4x8) probably puts out enough berries to provide all our jam needs for a year if I made it all into jam. Thats pretty good.

I must have missed this previously. I'm going to have to try this. I'd be skinned if I tried to use all of our Raspberry's for jam though. My kids love fruit leathers made from half raspberry puree (raspberrys, a little lime juice, and some water for consistency, strained to remove seeds) and half plain or vanilla yogurt. I'm the only one that eats straight raspberry leathers in my house, but I have to admit I am addicted to raspberry and blackberry leather. Now I'm going to have to go make some Rasp./Bananna ones. :)

crashdive123
04-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Sounds like a good recipe. Might I suggest 2 cups or rum though.....one for the cook during canning.

Chris
04-18-2009, 09:39 PM
Ya, a cup of rum is only like what? 4 shots?

Ken
04-18-2009, 09:47 PM
I sense the need for a Quality Control Department review ......:innocent: