PDA

View Full Version : Yo custom knife fans!

Sarge47
08-17-2007, 01:07 AM
Those of you who don't mind spending upwards to $400 for a custom-made knife and like the old Busse Combat Battle Mistress knives, check these babies out! Ron Hood had collaborated with these guys to make his outdoor knives but he's long since sold out. Fehrman Knives, however, still have great looking, heavy-duty knives. If I could afford one I'd pick out the one with the 10 inch blade, the price is reasonable for a custom job:

http://www.fehrmanknives.com/
(http://www.fehrmanknives.com.;)

SOE digital
08-17-2007, 01:16 AM
You know, I never ever under stood why people get custom knives made.

Sarge47
08-17-2007, 01:31 AM
You know, I never ever under stood why people get custom knives made.

My thinking on that is this; one, the custom knife maker can fit the knife to the individual. Two, the custom knife maker can add expensive features to a knife that the others don't have. (Example: Check out what Dr. Ron Hood describes about the knife he designed with the aforesaid Company.) Three, the steel is thicker and stronger, the knife is designed for optimum performance. All that being said I just received my Ka-bar "Bull Dozier" yesterday and really like it. Total cost including S & H was about $73. I'm looking into three more knives down the road, (can't help it, I'm a collector) Two by Ontario and one by Gerber. Later I might add Ka-bar's Kukri Machete. Ironically all this would cost me what just one of Fehrman's knives would.:confused:

SOE digital
08-17-2007, 02:15 AM
I know where you're coming from. I just reckon a good Leatherman has everything you need ;)

trax
08-17-2007, 10:59 AM
Actually never got past the "those who don't mind spending...."

Sarge47
08-23-2007, 12:29 PM
Yo WE, does your Kukri look like this? Scroll down for the price, and it ain't even a custom knife!:eek:

http://www.ltspecpro.com/35atcj.html

wareagle69
08-24-2007, 05:24 PM
not really go to tora kukri and scroll down to bottom of page enlarge pic see the one beside the guy thats mine.

trax
08-24-2007, 05:25 PM
Yo WE, does your Kukri look like this? Scroll down for the price, and it ain't even a custom knife!:eek:

I don't have a kukri Sarge.

Tony uk
08-24-2007, 05:28 PM

EEK, Thats a bit expensive, i like the good quality knifes made by people like, ColdSteel and so on but ive never thought of haveing a custom knife made for me since im happy to use non-custom ones just the same :)

wareagle69
08-24-2007, 07:35 PM
that's ok trax you don't have to apologize for that

Sarge47
08-24-2007, 10:23 PM
EEK, Thats a bit expensive, i like the good quality knifes made by people like, ColdSteel and so on but ive never thought of haveing a custom knife made for me since im happy to use non-custom ones just the same :)

That IS a non-custom knife. The steel is awesome, that's why the high price tag.:( :(

HOP
08-29-2007, 08:06 AM
I think that you should get the best equipment you can afford rather it be gun, knife, back pack etc.
Acustom knife is a chance to get a knife just like you want it with the benifit of a knife maker that will know what works and what doesn't and a custom sheath designed with you carry needs in mind is a good idea aswell .

zadig39
08-31-2007, 11:34 PM
If you think that a leatherman has everything you need,you need more practical experiance. I carry and use a multitool every day, they are very handy,but hardly cover all the bases.

spiritman
08-31-2007, 11:50 PM
If you think that a leatherman has everything you need,you need more practical experiance. I carry and use a multitool every day, they are very handy,but hardly cover all the bases.

I hardly use my multi tool, i might as well just bring a pair of pliers because thats all i use on it

carcajou garou
09-01-2007, 04:03 PM
One thing about my "custom" knife is that it is forged steel, lenght and weight and handle material that I wanted. It has never let me down through hard usage, its like different people get different types of dogs that each have a niche where they do the job better. Any good quality knife will cut some excell at a certain job.

HOP
09-01-2007, 08:11 PM
There are many good knives out there but a good forged well designed and heat treated will take you so far past abuse you won't beleive it. Factory knives just can't take the extreme abuse like a custom knife buyers beware though some expencive knives are not up to the extreme harsh task that survival may ask of it. And the most important reason for me after I decide a knife is the best I can find and afford I got to like it and am not going to carry a knife that I don't connect to in a karma like way I take care of the knife and the knife takes care of me.

Fog_Harbor
09-02-2007, 06:06 AM
I hardly use my multi tool, i might as well just bring a pair of pliers because thats all i use on it

I use mine quite a bit, but mine isn't a harware driven field, so tools are not everywhere.

Mine is also an essential part of my mini-kit, because it HAS a blade, file. saw etc...

Beo
11-19-2007, 12:39 PM
I always thought of custom knives as being hand made and not mass produced, that is why I buy hand made knives (I know my Army survival isn't hand made) and don't scrimp on the price because I use it a lot and think its worth the money although never spent $400.00 on a knife, my most expensive was $200 to 250 and I believe you get what you pay for.
Just my own thoughts and I guess to each his own.
Beo,
P.S. Fog I hate that song :D and those lyricks make no sense :D

marberry
11-19-2007, 02:19 PM
i love the design of those knives , im broke right now >_< but i think ill try making myself one in that style next week , i like modified drop point blades more though so i think ill mess with the design a lil. ill post some pics after im done for yall

MedicineWolf
11-19-2007, 02:54 PM
I agree with Beowulf65.
Hey Beo, how come you never carry your own knives? I know you can make a really good knife but you either sell them or give them away to friends, why not carry your own knife.