PDA

View Full Version : Wearable Survival Kit

smokelessfire
08-10-2008, 09:50 AM
ok, this is for the paranoid. i was musing about thshthf, and thought, what would happen if it hit the fan while you were at work, say in an office building in a city that you commute to, and you want desperately to get out and home to your woodsy escape, but there are nsa agents posted at the doors checking id's and stuff, and a crazy city full of craziness. or in any town, or suburb or rural area. what do you do for preparedness? things like being in camoflage without looking like you are wearing camoflage. like wearing gray pants and a gray coat, which will blend in well with tree trunks and rocks, especially in winter, you don't want deep green. or how about wearing things that pass for normal items, but can easily be converted into survival items. a metal necklace on a leather thong, to be filed down on a rock into a spear tip, one of those silly "poison" rings which can house a few potable aqua tablets. the idea is to be in possession of survival stuff and look like you aren't. what other gadgets/ ideas can you come up with? maybe an apple wrapped in tinfoil to use as a boiling cup? muse with me folks!

Sarge47
08-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Paranoid huh? I'll have you know I'm NOT paranoid, & why do you want all this info? What do you plan on doing with it anyway? who do you REALLY work for? You're an undercover Fed, aren't you?:confused: You probably want to find out all of our plans, then inform to you bosses, Sasquatch, & those UFO,s that keep hanging around just under our radar....:rolleyes:

Okay, I'll play. I drive busses, so if I'm at work I just kick everybody off the bus &: "Wah-Lah!", I've got me a great BOB vehicle!:D:eek::rolleyes::cool:

VampireRanger676
08-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Fine I'm a kid in school with a room with enough weapons to take down a army muhaha
I SHALL RULE YOU ALL :D

Ole WV Coot
08-10-2008, 04:08 PM
I plan on using a "dirty ole man" type camo. If it really gets tough I will take a MD 20/20 bottle out of my pocket and lay in the gutter. I have practice both for years and don't have a problem with their execution and my present wardrobe is adequate.

canid
08-10-2008, 04:18 PM
i hear you. sometimes the best way not to be noticed is to wear clothes you've been traveling in for days and a backpack that looks as if you've been living out of it. a toothbrush or pair of socks sticking out from one of the pockets helps.

gourdhead1997
08-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Well, I am like Sarge. My vehicle is my office. I drive a service van. I believe I have about every survival tool you could imagine. My only problem would be getting stopped by people wanting all my stuff!

smokelessfire
08-11-2008, 09:21 AM
LOL u guys! well i do wear all gray clothes, dog tags, and keys are always good spear points lol. hide in plain sight!

Beo
08-11-2008, 09:32 AM
If the shtf turn off the fan. Since I use central air I'm covered.:D

nell67
08-11-2008, 09:36 AM
If the shtf turn off the fan. Since I use central air I'm covered.:D

LMAO! Thats hilarious Beo! If you're covered,I guesss you didn't turn off the fan quick enough......:eek::D:p

RobertRogers
08-11-2008, 10:27 AM
It makes sense to a large degree. For example, a woman shouldn't only have high heels available. Tough to run in those and virtually useless in any situation except in the office trying to gain the attention of men. You can flesh this out to include considerations for your clothes and how they would function in a SHTF situation or even just a fire. Some fabrics hold up better to heat and flame than others. Some are useless when wet.

klkak
08-11-2008, 07:23 PM
When I'm at work I have a well prepared survival kit on me to include a firearm and ammo. I also have a very capable ATV under me with even more supplies.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
08-16-2008, 12:56 PM
It's an exelent notion to put available things to whatever use you need. For example,
a coffee cup can easily be broken into knife blades. Car keys are easily converted into
drill bits or arrow heads! A plastic bowl, some fish tank gravel,and 3 marbles can be used to build an oil stove to cook on. The possibilitys are endless,and where there is
a genuine need; even a sheet of paper and a needle can be a blow gun!

wallew
08-16-2008, 07:23 PM
I'm retired.

But when I was still working, especially after 9/11, I found an excellent way to carry all sorts of items in a fairly innocous load bearing vest.

I always wore tan cargo pants with a white dress shirt, no tie. In my vehicle I always kept one of my photographers vests. It has numerous pockets. Plus I always kept at least one camera in it. Even if it's just a point and shoot. My last job was a sales person in a camera store, so I could give a fairly good reason WHY I was wearing these types of clothes.

You would be surprised at how people 'read' what you wear to decide, almost instantly, safe or unsafe.

Someone wearing camo or all green would probably fall into the 'unsafe' category, while a person wearing tan pants, white shirt with a tan photographers vest (mine has my personal company logo embroidered on it) will normally get you into the 'safe' category'. Especially if you have a camera in your hands. The brain makes certain 'intuitive leaps' by what it sees.

Just stay in the background and don't 'dawdle' on your way home. If stopped, smile a lot, be very co-operative. Right up to the point where it's obvious you are in over your head. Then be prepared to act instantly and violently, as that's the only chance you have of getting away.

Remember that if you are behind the wheel of your car, you are driving AT LEAST two tons of controlled violence. And you are the one 'in control' of that violence.

Ole WV Coot
08-16-2008, 11:13 PM
It's an exelent notion to put available things to whatever use you need. For example,
a coffee cup can easily be broken into knife blades. Car keys are easily converted into
drill bits or arrow heads! A plastic bowl, some fish tank gravel,and 3 marbles can be used to build an oil stove to cook on. The possibilitys are endless,and where there is
a genuine need; even a sheet of paper and a needle can be a blow gun!

Couldn't agree with you more. Must have had the same training only many years apart. Be aware of your surroundings, a little deeper than that. It was nothing pretty, still taught and still effective I see. I still train open hand, no ground and too old & slow. I like walking stick, never go without one, don't need it but handy little devil.:D I like your thinking you are never "without"