PDA

View Full Version : Disinfectant Spray

pgvoutdoors
08-08-2008, 01:58 PM
As a guide, outfitter, and outdoorsman I've had to address the issue of smelly equipment. As a outfitter the gear you rent out must be cleaned and disinfected. For example, sleeping bags, tents, ground mats, and rain gear. Most things can be easily be washed when turned in, but over washing does lead to earlier deterioration of the equipment.

I try not to wash my own sleeping bag anymore that I need to. So, I've used a disinfectant spray to deodorize it along with hanging it out. I came across a spray in the Dollar Store (for only a $1.00) that works great. Its made by PowerHouse and has a mild smelling deodorizer. I've spent up to $10.00 a can for other similar sprays.

Just a tidbit I thought you might like to know.

crashdive123
08-08-2008, 02:03 PM
So....your saying splashing High Karate on the inside is what, a bad idea?:D:D

Gray Wolf
08-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Yes, Canoe lasts longer. :D

Gray Wolf
08-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Actually you could try Febreze Antimicrobial—it eliminates 99.9% of odor-causing bacteria on fabrics.

(but wait, if you order now....)

pgvoutdoors
08-08-2008, 02:27 PM
I've used Febreze, but it's a little over powering for me.

trax
08-08-2008, 02:58 PM
I agree with that pgv, it's more like FeTyphoon

Beo
08-08-2008, 03:17 PM
Old Spice won't work either, smells like my grandpap and Brute smells like my pops.
So I spray with Super Oder Neutralizer, walmart or Mejiers for a couple of bucks, stuff works great.

Beo
08-08-2008, 03:29 PM
I will say for hunting I have never washed my clothes, they stay in a seald bag with fresh dirt, pine and brush from the area I hunt. That way my sent is that of the area. When hunting with the flinter I wear my 1750s clothing and it is washed with oderless cleaning detergeant.

Gray Wolf
08-08-2008, 03:32 PM
I've used Febreze, but it's a little over powering for me.

There are many kinds and scents of Febreze, but I didn't think that the Febreze Antimicrobial had as much of a smell compared to the other Febreze's. But I never used it on my sleeping bag. I wash it with All's Safe and Free on a gentile cycle and hang it outside to air dry it.

wildWoman
08-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Here's a good recipe that will rid stuff of all kinds of stinks (will even get skunk odour off a dog):
Take 1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide, mix with 1/4 cup of baking soda and 1 tsp regular liquid soap. Apply to whatever you want to treat immediately. Rinse thoroughly with water, and the smell will be gone.

trax
08-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Son of a gun. I saw that recipe at the vet's last time I took wonder dog in for his shots. Copied it and stuck it up on the fridge too (wonder dog don't like skunks, so I'm just waiting for the day, lol). Thanks for the reminder WW

wildWoman
08-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Maybe we have the same vet? :eek: No, actually I saw it in a newspaper years ago. Really works. My old dog is incontinent, so the dog blankets always reek like pee and that recipe is what I use to get the smell out.

Beo
08-11-2008, 11:32 AM
WW isn't it easier to throw the blanket out, dump out spray, and shoot and eat the dog. lol.... just joking. I'll try that recipe with my mutt.

wildWoman
08-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Nope, Beo. We're talking the world's best dog here. Herds grizzly bears, trees black bears, leads me back home from any place out in the woods, will defend me from anything or anybody who'd want to do me harm, will track me anywhere I go, most cuddly and sweetnatured dog there ever was. Who lived the first six years of his life with people who should not be allowed to keep animals. He's welcome to piddle all over the house at his 15 years of age.

Beo
08-11-2008, 11:53 AM
I was joking WW, I know what you mean I have a 14 year old German Shepperd/Yellow Lab mix named Sunny and she's great. Got her from an animal adoption shelter where she had been for 4 years and the guy had beat her, held her under water, and just treated her bad. She didn't take to men because of him but when she was brought out she wouldn't come near me, I took her leash and led her outside and we ran through the fields until I couldn't run another step and she came over and started kissing on me and has been my best friend since, she is a great dog and a part of my family and I wouldn't give her up for a bazillion bucks.
This is my Sunny :D
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/5786/sunnybunnyan5.th.jpg (http://img529.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sunnybunnyan5.jpg)
She has protected my family from other dogs, other people, cats and anyone she deems
unfriemdly or maybe harmful to us. Love her.

wildWoman
08-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Yeah I know, you already said in the other post you were kidding - just couldn't resist the opportunity to get a plug in for the old pee bag ;)
Good for you guys that you bailed Sunny out!! Nothing like giving some poor critter a chance who's never really had one. They are so grateful. Even if they end up being smelly later, to bring this back to disinfectant.

Beo
08-11-2008, 12:42 PM
I think anyone who mistreats an animal should be treated in the same manner for the same duration of time. Then they'd know how the animal felt.

wildWoman
08-11-2008, 12:45 PM
My sentiments exactly.

Beo
08-11-2008, 12:49 PM
I basically hate people... well most of them anyway. Not the people here because most are like minded folks so its okay. A few get under my skin but most I think are good outdoorsy folks and respect wildlife and domestic animals. But the average city dwelling, working (I know I work in the city), surburban (I know I live there too) people who rush around and take wildlife and the outdoors for granted I hate... maybe not hate but have a strong dislike for them. Those we need to disenfect because they stink :D

jrock24
08-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Try Oust, no smell and it kills bacteria.

Ole WV Coot
08-11-2008, 10:28 PM
I basically hate people... well most of them anyway. Not the people here because most are like minded folks so its okay. A few get under my skin but most I think are good outdoorsy folks and respect wildlife and domestic animals. But the average city dwelling, working (I know I work in the city), surburban (I know I live there too) people who rush around and take wildlife and the outdoors for granted I hate... maybe not hate but have a strong dislike for them. Those we need to disenfect because they stink :D

You should have tried a bus in DC in the early '60s no AC packed, not even standing room, ole women that think a bath means dumping more cheap perfume on. Men with Hi Karate soaked clothes mixed with booze & sweat. It was so bad I had to go to the head at Greyhound to get a breath of air:eek:

bulrush
08-12-2008, 08:57 AM
I think anyone who mistreats an animal should be treated in the same manner for the same duration of time. Then they'd know how the animal felt.

Beo, I know how you feel. But I swear people like that are mentally ill, they still wouldn't get it even if they were treated the same. They are just damaged goods.