PDA

View Full Version : An egg and a match.

b166erg4me
08-15-2007, 04:46 PM
I am going to attend this hard core survival camp in montana in a week. My friend has already been there and he said for food they give you an egg and a match for each day. Is there a way I can cook the egg without eating it raw and getting sick like my friend eventually did?

They might also provide a small cup of milk, but I'm not sure so I don't want to count on that.

Please reply I'm very worried about what I'm going to do.

trax
08-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Please reply I'm very worried about what I'm going to do.

Don't go, you've already defeated yourself. But, if you insist....if you can get a fire going with the one match, you can place a flat rock near enough to the fire that it will get hot enough to cook the egg. It ain't going to be pretty, pilgrim, but it'll be cooked. You allowed a knife? You can carve some kind of scraping/eating utensil from a dry stick or find an even flatter rock (consult FVR, re: rock chipping implements and tools)

b166erg4me
08-15-2007, 05:52 PM
When I said I was worried I didn't mean worried enough to not go. Though, I see your point and I thought of trying something like that but I thought it would be easier to try to hardboil the egg or cook it while it's still in its shell.

Unfortunatly, we aren't allowed a knife so I can't carve anything. I might be able to try to make an oven-like fire so I can slide the rock under the fire. I would have to be very careful about not letting it collapse in on my fire.

Does anyone know of anyways of cooking it in its shell?

trax
08-15-2007, 05:59 PM
the shell will crack open if it's not in water, got some way to get water? what about that cup of milk? do you get it or not? do you get to keep the cup? Everything you can lay your hands on is a potential resource. Find a rock that is concave and fill the top with water, put it near the fire and... voila!

Also, how long does this thing last? You can go a long time without eating, better to have a tummy ache from a few hunger pangs than from e coli or whatever raw eggs gives people, except Rocky of course. Finding drinkable water is far more important. The reason I said you're already defeating yourself is because worry leads to anxiety leads to fear leads to panic.

Sarge47
08-15-2007, 06:23 PM
Here's the thing, dawg; why aren't you allowed a knife? Even Bear & Les carry blades of one sort or another. How accredited is this school? Personally, if they couldn't teach me how to make a decent Survival Kit & how to use it I'd tell them to "stuff it!":mad:

donny h
08-15-2007, 07:11 PM
Supposedly, only 1 in 30k eggs has salmonella present, and salmonella isn't much of a risk for healthy adults, most of us could go through it and never know it, indeed, we probably have.

I've eaten raw eggs in cookie dough for all my life, so I might just eat one egg a day raw, and be done with it. I wouldn't eat the shells though, the nutrients they contain aren't worth the sharp edges.

Keep an eye out for litter, you could boil an egg in a discarded soda/beer/soup can, and it's a rare place in America where you can walk a few miles and not see litter, sorry to say.

spiritman
08-15-2007, 07:43 PM
Yeah it's rarer NOT to see a soda/beer can than not no matter where i go. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

From there it's easy, with a rock or stick you can puncture the can near the top or make the top hole bigger and make yourself a water heating pot that boils super fast.

SOE digital
08-15-2007, 09:17 PM
Meh, I wouldn't be too concerned about cooking the egg. Just gulp it down raw. The chances of getting sick from a domestic chicken egg is VERY LOW!
Spend the time finding water and setting up a shelter. THEN once you've got that sorted you can think about eating and getting a fire going.

You had better make sure you've got enough dry fire wood and kindling on hand when you strike that match. It's you're only chance.

Sarge47
08-15-2007, 09:36 PM
Take the egg and "beat it"!:D

FVR
08-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Okay,

Dig a hole. Put your t shirt in it as a liner, fill with water. A little bit away, build a fire, use your match, use your glasses if you were them, if not, practice making a bow drill. Build a fire, heat some DRY rocks. Put rocks in the water, hopefully they don't blow up. Put a couple more rocks in, then slowly put your egg in the water.

Hard boil that baby.

Or, crack it and slam it down.

Or, make a fire next to some DRY rocks. Get the rocks nice and hot and then crack and fry.

Pers., I'd hard boil it as frying just seems to thin out the egg.

Once the egg is done, throw another rock into the pool, let cool and drink the boiling water.

What's the name of this hard core camp? always enjoy doing a little reading.

Yeh, good luck.

SOE digital
08-15-2007, 10:40 PM
That's definately a good way to get the water boiling.
But I don't know if it's a good idea. Taking your shirt off (exposing yourself to the elements when it isn't necessary) and wetting your T-shirt in order to boil something that dosn't require boiling to be generaly safe to eat.
Seams like a waste of time and energy. You only get, on average, 76 calories from a boiled egg. That's next to bugger all. I imagine you'd burn much more than that in the process of setting something up to cook it.

The only logical reason to boil up the water to cook the egg is if you're gonig to drink the water (as you ofcourse stated). However, it only works in a situation where boiling water is really necessary. I guess it's all about location.

I think you got it right when you said to crack them and slam it down or just fry it on a rock. Quick, easy and takes zero effort.

Just DON'T eat the shell like dickhead bear grylls says to do. You'll lose energy as your body tries to digest the shell. There is ZERO value in eggs shells.

Strider
08-16-2007, 12:24 PM
I don't think it is really common to get an egg that happens to be infected by a disease. I also think that if it is a survival course, the people would try to get good enough eggs, because if some died because of their food, they'd get sued or whatever else... me personally, I wouldn't care how to eat it... if I had set up a shelter, got a lot (a big pile, more than you think you'll need) of tinder and sticks and so on under it, then I would probably try to see what the weather looks like if it's clear, and you aren't expecting it to be cold or anything, I dunno if it's even worth it to make a fire... depending on ow long you're gonna be out there, I don't know... I would only make a fire if I really needed it... it's more trouble than it's worth at times... you have to watch it, make sure it doesn't spread, keep a dry stash of wood on hand, always add a little every hour or so... I think I would just get a shelter going, stack up a lot of wood, and then start finding plants and stuff to eat... or, if I was really hungry, i could make a spear out of a branch and a rock... it takes a while, but if you catch something, then you can cook it. (of course, with one match...) :)
Oh, and volwest was right... you can survive at least 3 weeks without food.

Sarge47
08-17-2007, 07:15 PM
I don't think it is really common to get an egg that happens to be infected by a disease. I also think that if it is a survival course, the people would try to get good enough eggs, because if some died because of their food, they'd get sued or whatever else... me personally, I wouldn't care how to eat it... if I had set up a shelter, got a lot (a big pile, more than you think you'll need) of tinder and sticks and so on under it, then I would probably try to see what the weather looks like if it's clear, and you aren't expecting it to be cold or anything, I dunno if it's even worth it to make a fire... depending on ow long you're gonna be out there, I don't know... I would only make a fire if I really needed it... it's more trouble than it's worth at times... you have to watch it, make sure it doesn't spread, keep a dry stash of wood on hand, always add a little every hour or so... I think I would just get a shelter going, stack up a lot of wood, and then start finding plants and stuff to eat... or, if I was really hungry, i could make a spear out of a branch and a rock... it takes a while, but if you catch something, then you can cook it. (of course, with one match...) :)
Oh, and volwest was right... you can survive at least 3 weeks without food.

Yeah but why give the guy an egg in the 1st place? Are they teaching him what to do if he should find him self lost in a barnyard?:confused:

DEET
08-18-2007, 08:30 PM
I teach survival training and I have never heard of this school that gives you an egg and a match. I'm sorry if I'm offending you but I need to see some proof this place actually exists and if it does the instructors are obviously clueless and should not be teaching anything except how to cook an egg at the local elementary schools home economics class.:rolleyes: Please give us some proof here of this "hardcore survival camp in montana"

AND NO KNIFE!!!!! this has to be BS

Sarge47
08-18-2007, 08:50 PM
I remember this guy they were talking about on "America's Most Wanted". His family started noticing his odd behavior when one evening at the supper table he blurted out: "I'm a survivor! I can survive anything, anywhere, anytime!" To prove it he pushed himself away from the table, dropped to all fours, pushed the dog out of the way, and began eating the dog's food!:eek: I couldn't help but think: "Well, he'll be fine if he ever finds himself stranded in an Alpo factory." Anybody ever hear of finding cans of dog food growing wild in the woods?:rolleyes: I think I'd throw that egg in my instructor's face and while he's/she's busy wiping the goo out of their eyes I'd use the match to set their pants on fire! :D

rusty_oxydado
08-18-2007, 10:27 PM
Build the fire over loostened sand, let the fire die down, push the fire back, scoop out a hole large enough for the egg, cover the egg with heated sand, and wait for it to cook hard.
Will cook the egg, but it won't peel worth a d___!

smokelessfire
08-19-2007, 11:33 AM
wear a waterproof hat. then fill it with water, the egg and some red hot rocks from the fire. bingo, boiled egg.

wareagle69
08-19-2007, 12:07 PM
yo smokless fire welcome to the wolfpack, now head on over to introductions.

FVR
08-19-2007, 01:24 PM
I watched that hat trick on Disc. last night.

trax
08-21-2007, 04:06 PM
that's scoring three goals in a hockey game, dude :D

wareagle69
08-21-2007, 04:13 PM
our southern freinds may not understand that one trax

texasboy
08-21-2007, 05:15 PM
The shell is were the salmanila or e coli or whatever comes from.

Sarge47
02-22-2010, 10:53 PM
Remember this guy? :sneaky2:

your_comforting_company
02-22-2010, 11:33 PM
just a thought.. couldn't you drill a hole in the small end of the egg so the steamy heat doesn't crack the shell and cook it hard next to the fire?
I can see I'm gonna have to try that this week.. see what happens. I was gonna recommend the hot rocks trick but FVR beat me to it ;)

Ole WV Coot
02-23-2010, 10:33 AM
For what it's worth, not much but back in my drinking days lots of men put a raw egg in their beer and chugged it down. I have eaten raw eggs when I was younger, just like oysters on 1/2 shell they slide right down. I never got sick but that's me, just tap a circle out of the end, make sure you don't see anything strange ie feathers and slurp away.

finallyME
02-23-2010, 11:10 AM
here you go YCC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzvdSBVrrOg

Here is another egg cooking video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPk28DiIWPU

Also, I have cooked eggs in onions. You cut the onion in half, take out all the inside layers, crack the egg into the cup you just made, and place close to the fire. The onion burns, but not the egg.

RangerXanatos
02-23-2010, 11:47 AM
I've also read in a magazine that if you could poke a hole in the egg shell on either end and poke a stick through, you can make it like a hard boiled egg. It supposedly has a smoke taste to it.

rwc1969
02-23-2010, 12:26 PM
If an instructor only gave me an egg and a match and no instructions. I'd stuff the egg up his ace, set fire to the camp, and leave. My chances of survival would be better.

hoosierarcher
02-23-2010, 01:00 PM
When I said I was worried I didn't mean worried enough to not go. Though, I see your point and I thought of trying something like that but I thought it would be easier to try to hardboil the egg or cook it while it's still in its shell.

Unfortunatly, we aren't allowed a knife so I can't carve anything. I might be able to try to make an oven-like fire so I can slide the rock under the fire. I would have to be very careful about not letting it collapse in on my fire.

Does anyone know of anyways of cooking it in its shell?

Sounds like they aren't teaching you anything just sending you out with little to nothing and letting you fend for yourself. To see if you can think laterally and creatively and use what nature supplies without any instruction. You don't need to pay anyone to experience that. Just go into the woods alone with nothing.
Now to answer your question about cooking the egg. If you have sandy soil in the area and grass, build the fire on sandy soil initially. get a big ball of grass and soak it in water as soggy as you can get it. Move the fire to one side use a stick to dig a hole. wrap the egg in the wet grass place in the hole and cover with sandy dirt and place coals on top to completely cover. 5-7 minutes and you've got a steam in the shell egg.

hunter63
02-23-2010, 01:02 PM
I've also read in a magazine that if you could poke a hole in the egg shell on either end and poke a stick through, you can make it like a hard boiled egg. It supposedly has a smoke taste to it.

I saw this done, with a green stick, at least one got kinda done, second one didn't turn out so well.
I guess I be one of the slurpers, if I was hungry enough.

Vid on cooking in moss was kinda intresting.......but why does the instructors always seem to have to run around in the bush, walk on logs etc.
I guess I was always taught to move like smoke in the woods, unless something big and bad was on my tail.

So when you see someone running thru the woods, on logs, over clifts, you can bet they just got done watching a survival vid by someone.

So just follow them at a resonable distance, waith till they fall down and break some thing, then take their stuff, then you will have 2 eggs and 2 matches..............and a great big expensive knife.

Geronimo!
02-23-2010, 01:23 PM
Eat the egg raw. I've been taking them raw after nights of intense drinking for a few years now. It does wonders for headaches and body pains. Then again, any food after too many beers will do that.

Rick
02-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Here's a couple of methods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY74_MBIKUQ

Rick
02-23-2010, 01:25 PM
Actually.....the hangover is caused by dehydration. You'd be better off drinking water in between your beers to reduce your hangover.

klkak
02-23-2010, 01:27 PM
Just build a fire with the match. When the fire burns down to coals, poke a hole in the small end of the egg. Set the egg in the coals with the hole pointing up. Give it 3 to 5 minutes to cook. When its done, peel off the shell and eat the egg.

Keep it simple.

Geronimo!
02-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Actually.....the hangover is caused by dehydration. You'd be better off drinking water in between your beers to reduce your hangover.

At that point vodka is water. Clear, I can't rightly smell or taste it.

Old GI
02-23-2010, 04:42 PM
Walk to the nearest Waffle House and have them cook the egg with some grits would be good, too.

Batch
02-23-2010, 08:28 PM
In Big Cypress we have sour oranges. So I would cut the top off of a orange and cut out the meat of the orange (most of it, leave a 1/4" or so). Crack the egg into the orange and set it in the coals. Cook to desired consistency and scoop out.

All else fails I have eaten hundreds of raw eggs with out ill results.

My Dad used to make us a shake that was protein powder, wheat germ , yeast, raw eggs and milk. The yeast is bad, bad, bad tasting. But, everything else and a banana is good.

Rick
02-23-2010, 08:30 PM
You can play Russian roulette a hundred times to......just sayin'......

"Ah, I'm okay, honey. It's just the flu"

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/salment_g.htm

Boker
02-23-2010, 08:46 PM
I know this is an old old thread, well before my time. However, should I have been here I would of suggest smuggling a knife in his rectal cavity. It would seem that cavity was utilized when he paid for this class, might was well get some use out of it while its still sore.

(Delete if over the line please)

Batch
02-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Man, you got to die of something!

Better salmonella poisoning than embarrassment at having failed to survive on your one egg and a match.:cool2:

Rick
02-23-2010, 08:52 PM
I'm hopin' old age.

Batch
02-23-2010, 09:00 PM
I'm hopin' old age.

Aye, eat the raw egg and you may die. Cook it, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our one egg and a match survival instructor that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... Ahhh, what the hell. Just cook the damn egg! :sneaky2:

Or mix it with some cattail flower and some sugar and you can eat cake.

Rick
02-23-2010, 09:14 PM
I'm actually hoping to die at the hands of a jealous lover when I'm 112. Give or take.

hoosierarcher
02-23-2010, 10:30 PM
Aye, eat the raw egg and you may die. Cook it, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our one egg and a match survival instructor that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... Ahhh, what the hell. Just cook the damn egg! :sneaky2:

Or mix it with some cattail flower and some sugar and you can eat cake.

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa did. Not screaming and clawing at the doors like everyone else in the car did.:tongue_smilie:

rwc1969
02-23-2010, 11:09 PM
i wanna die frozen in the snow w' a Hawken in hand. LOL!

Boker
02-23-2010, 11:16 PM
I plan on living forever. So far so good.

klkak
02-23-2010, 11:43 PM
When I get to the point where my age or health becomes a burden to my family, I am going to go rob a bank. Shoot out the windows as I leave and lead the police on a chase across state lines. Plead guilty and serve a life sentence in a federal prison. Getting free health care, clothes, housing and food for the rest of my short life.

However, if I continue to eat enough bacon I should die before that becomes an issue.

Ken
02-24-2010, 12:37 AM
I once posted.........

"I wanna' die of a heart attack, too. I want it to happen when I'm 98 years old, piloting my personal Lear Jet back from a scuba diving vacation in Aruba with my 21-year-old girlfriend." :innocent:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showpost.php?p=118801&postcount=14

welderguy
02-24-2010, 12:46 AM
I'm actually hoping to die at the hands of a jealous lover when I'm 112. Give or take.

Didnt you mean the jealous lover of an 18 year old college cheerleader.

Ken
02-24-2010, 01:02 AM
Didnt you mean the jealous lover of an 18 year old college cheerleader.

No, he meant the jealous lover of a 118 year old college graduate. :innocent:

Stargazer
02-24-2010, 02:00 AM
Well since were talking about buying the farm..Im not too worried about the when's and how's.I just need to find out what I have to do now to come back as a Brass Pole:innocent:

Boker
02-24-2010, 02:04 AM
Well since were talking about buying the farm..Im not too worried about the when's and how's.I just need to find out what I have to do now to come back as a Brass Pole:innocent:

I'd say you are 1/2 way there lol (Br)*** (P)hole. You will only have to juggle around some letters......:D

edr730
02-24-2010, 05:21 AM
I eat raw eggs all the time, every day. Usually two. On rare occasions, I'll eat a dozen. I've ate raw eggs since I was young and I don't think they ever made me sick.

Scratch
02-24-2010, 08:30 AM
I just ate a hard boiled egg. It was good. Just thought i would share. :)

crashdive123
02-24-2010, 08:53 AM

Really? I guess the dream of becoming a Fireman never dies. :innocent:

http://fitnessofthefuture.com/web_pic/history/firmanpole.jpg

dbldrew
02-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Remember this guy? :sneaky2:

I'm confused (happens a lot) why are we looking at a 3 year old thread? Did this guy re-register or is he in the news or something? :confused:

Rick
02-24-2010, 10:24 AM
Oh, sometimes old knowledge is good to remember.

dbldrew
02-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Gotcha,

I just hate being out of the loop, if there was some kind of drama with him just wanted to know!!

Justin Case
02-24-2010, 11:24 AM
I eat raw eggs all the time, every day. Usually two. On rare occasions, I'll eat a dozen. I've ate raw eggs since I was young and I don't think they ever made me sick.

ummm,,, Why ?

finallyME
02-24-2010, 11:37 AM
So....I just looked at the date for the original post. For some reason I assumed that this was a recent thread, because Sarge and YCC had posted recently on it...Thanks alot guys. :sneaky2: Anyways, can we assume that since he hasn't reposted, that he didn't make it?

Justin Case
02-24-2010, 11:49 AM
will Salmonella killafella ?

hunter63
02-24-2010, 11:51 AM
I think it was a slow Nube day, so it's like, well, we pounded all the wannabie's johnsons in the dirt, who else haven't we messed with?

Lets see, lets go back with a possible list of "Greatest Hits" and do em again?

Rick
02-24-2010, 02:48 PM
(looking up johnson in my dictionary.....)

rwc1969
02-24-2010, 02:54 PM
When I get to the point where my age or health becomes a burden to my family, I am going to go rob a bank. Shoot out the windows as I leave and lead the police on a chase across state lines. Plead guilty and serve a life sentence in a federal prison. Getting free health care, clothes, housing and food for the rest of my short life.

However, if I continue to eat enough bacon I should die before that becomes an issue.

That's my plan too except I'm gonna kill em all in a state where there's no death penalty and I'll skip the bank part. State prison's good enuf for me, I'm not too picky. Just kidding! Really!:rambo::hang:

Old GI
02-24-2010, 03:45 PM
And I thought a rabbit, a chicken and a pound of rice was a feast for an A-Team. Oh yeah, don't forget the pine needle tea.:spam:

trax
02-24-2010, 03:56 PM
will Salmonella killafella ?

oh yeah start feelin' you need to sit a spell and
it gets your liver and turns you yella

Dross
02-28-2010, 01:23 AM
That's my plan too except I'm gonna kill em all in a state where there's no death penalty and I'll skip the bank part. State prison's good enuf for me, I'm not too picky. Just kidding! Really!:rambo::hang:

I'm all for that, if you switched it offing stupid drivers, and white guys in pick-ups with rebel flags on them that listen to hip-hop. (if however you are just a white guy, pick-up driver, or listen to hip hop, in any combination. you are omitted from this list. It's the rebel flag that sends me over the edge)

Batch
02-28-2010, 02:49 AM
I'm all for that, if you switched it offing stupid drivers, and white guys in pick-ups with rebel flags on them that listen to hip-hop. (if however you are just a white guy, pick-up driver, or listen to hip hop, in any combination. you are omitted from this list. It's the rebel flag that sends me over the edge)

I'm a white guy, pick up truck and rebel flag on the truck. No hip hop. Unless...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkrq5uYNDfY

Indiana? Yankees sporting confederate flags these days?

Rick
02-28-2010, 08:48 AM
Oh, yea. You can find lot's of them north of the Mason-Dixon. Where I grew up in Illinois it was standard living room motif.

SARKY
02-28-2010, 01:46 PM
I really need to ask the question.....What idiot designs a survival course around an egg and a match? right off the bat I can think of a dozen other survival courses that would be better and more useful than this one.

Justin Case
02-28-2010, 01:50 PM
An Egg Match http://www.kidsplaypark.com/games/hatch/

Dross
03-01-2010, 03:00 AM
I'm a white guy, pick up truck and rebel flag on the truck. No hip hop.

Indiana? Yankees sporting confederate flags these days?

Batch i guess if you take the hip hop out of the stew you're safe. And just take a trip over to WEST Terre Haute it exudes rebel pride.

Firecraft
06-17-2011, 06:34 PM
Maybe the real test is instead of living off of an egg and a match, get your friend to share some of his egg... You can use your egg and match to make an incubator out of rocks, incubate the egg and hopefully a chicken will pop out... You can eat the chicken. :spam: