PDA

View Full Version : Airsoft Is Catching Up

VampireRanger676
08-06-2008, 03:24 AM
Got a email from a friend about a airsoft survival meet and from what i was told it is about how to survive in the wilderness ironicly enough I have been telling them for years about the link between Wilderness Knowledge and Military Airsoft. Fools finally listened up and asked me to lead the meet and though I just joined this site I have read alot of the threads and posts and learned alot from you guys and wanted to say THANKS :D

LostOutrider
08-06-2008, 07:06 AM
So, help me out here, what is an airsoft survival meeting? I know a few kids, students of mine, who talk a lot about their airsoft guns . . . but I've never joined the two ideas in my head before. Also, Military Airsoft? Help dispel my ignorance, por favor.

VampireRanger676
08-06-2008, 07:49 AM
My team plays mili-sim which is bringing military tactics and idealogy to the airsoft battlefield almost all of us want to join the armed forces and use airsoft as a way to train for it and most of our games last 2-3 days so being able to survive in the wilderness is pretty important but no one up till now took it sersoisly but me

LostOutrider
08-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Oh...so it is kind of like backpacking except you shoot at each other and wear more camo? When we were kids, my cousin and I used to run around the woods in Mississippi and do that with pellet guns. I think he still has a BB lodged in his right buttcheek from that.

Since it is overnight, what sort of pack weight do you aim for? What type of sleep system do you use? How much of a trace do you leave behind?

jrock24
08-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Oh...so it is kind of like backpacking except you shoot at each other and wear more camo? When we were kids, my cousin and I used to run around the woods in Mississippi and do that with pellet guns. I think he still has a BB lodged in his right buttcheek from that.

Since it is overnight, what sort of pack weight do you aim for? What type of sleep system do you use? How much of a trace do you leave behind?

Me too, I cought a BB right between the eyes once. :eek:

LostOutrider
08-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Me too, I cought a BB right between the eyes once. :eek:

Yeah, man, everyone always aimed for the head - except for those point-blank-inna-buttcheek surprise attacks. I think that maybe mine was the last generation to grow up without the padded, visored, kevlar-lined protection gear that we armor kids today up with. Other than a little unorganized grabasstic paintball in college, I missed out on the whole airsoft/paintball movement. It makes me feel old to even type it, but in my day the only thing we shot at each other was METAL or, around July, explosives-onna-stick. No wonder we're all brain damaged now and send out kids out to play swaddled in several layers of bubble-wrap.

That's why ol' VampR here has me curious. I'm thinking they organize that kindof thing these days? With names and meetings and all, even.

Beo
08-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Used to take my son paintballing, airsoft is okay but you don't get the range of a paintball, you get more pain though. Fort Campbell used to open up the MOUNT site before Iraq to the paintballers, my son played there a few times.

VampireRanger676
08-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Lost it depends on who you talking to but I am the Sniper and DM and my pack is around 30 or 40 pounds due to guns and ammo and the sleeping system we use is usally in swifts of two one dude with a S.A.W and the other with a m-16 with a long range scope we are very picky about leaving trash we take all the trash back with us when we leave

Rick
08-06-2008, 06:42 PM
Man, when I was a kid we didn't have pellet guns. .30-.30s were all we had. We always went for a an off shoulder shot. You didn't want to shoot a guy in his good shoulder. That would throw off your fast ball for sure!:D

LostOutrider
08-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Cool. Airsoft SAW, huh? Now that would've made things interesting when I was eleven.

By sleep system I didn't mean how you guys arranged shifts, I meant what do you sleep in/on/with? In the crew I backpack with, there's a line between the squatters who sleep on flimsy foam pads and mylar sheets and those of us who have returned to the trees with canvas and mosquito netting.

crashdive123
08-07-2008, 06:35 AM
I've never done the airsoft thing. I did quite a bit of paintballing while teaching shipboard anti terrorist tactics (man, they can hurt - especially when some smart azz sticks his paint ball in the freezer (almost said balls)). About airsoft....have there been any environmental groups or others that have raised concerns about all of the plastic bb's being left in the wilderness. I definately would not be considered and environmentalist, but rather a good steward of the environment.

VampireRanger676
08-07-2008, 07:33 AM
Not really Crash mainly cause the cats love them and gather them but there is bio-degradeable but it really serves no purpose considering it takes almost 2-3 years to fully dissolve

crashdive123
08-07-2008, 08:18 AM
Didn't know they were bio-degradeable - thanks.

klkak
08-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Lost it depends on who you talking to but I am the Sniper and DM and my pack is around 30 or 40 pounds due to guns and ammo and the sleeping system we use is usally in swifts of two one dude with a S.A.W and the other with a m-16 with a long range scope we are very picky about leaving trash we take all the trash back with us when we leave

So what kind of range are we talking here? 20 or 30 yards?

smokelessfire
08-07-2008, 01:47 PM
ahhh, the good ole days... i miss the bb gun wars in the woods. you actually CAN here the bb just before it hits you in the chest bone. wwwwhhhhhhhhhhthunk! safety glasses? what are those? nah man, just put on the camo, grab your gun and go go go!

crashdive123
08-07-2008, 02:33 PM
...and did you know that if your best friend breaks the head of a strike anywhere match off and puts it in his pellet gun and says run....you should run. Left a blister on my butt and a hole in the jeans.

Rick
08-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Don't you just love that split second between the thing hitting you and actually feeling the pain? Your brain is saying, "Oh, man this thing is really gonna hurt" and then there comes the pain. Yep, it's that split second that get's you.

VampireRanger676
08-07-2008, 05:41 PM
My L96 gets around 180feet the normal range for a assualt rifle is about 20 yards

crashdive123
08-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Actually, my assault rifles have an effective range of 400+ yards.:D:D

bulrush
08-08-2008, 08:51 AM
Sorry guys, plastic is not biodegradable, even if the package says so and even if it's made from corn. Plastic is plastic, and it's not biodegradable. It's all marketing hype.

Rick
08-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Actually........all plastic is biodegradable. But! it requires sunlight to degrade and it takes a very long time. And in the woods under cover of canopy it might take much, much longer. Petro based plastics will still release stored carbon as it degrades while starch based won't.

Recycle plastic! It won't degrade in a landfill!

Beo
08-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Wonder what the shell of a paintball are made of? They are strong enough to withstand the power of the air in the paintball marker, but will fall apart in the rain or water if they get wet. Also strong enough to hurt like crap if ya get hit.

VampireRanger676
08-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Yea the biodegradable pellets are really a load of sh** it takes forever to dissolve and usally just blocks the barrel or had a few that have split inside the barrel during a game man I felt sorry for that kid :rolleyes:

marberry
08-09-2008, 12:17 PM
geeze pellet gun wars , no wonder they wont let us buy them any more. never tried airsoft but i love paintball in the bush. bad thing is almost nne of the paintball feilds offer a wilderness area and its hard t find people to play with. And god does the frozen paintballs bring back some bad memories, in dauphin the 'juvenile delinquents' would drive around shooting them at people.

Ole WV Coot
08-09-2008, 02:46 PM
I miss the old days when we only had BB guns. No arguments about a hit, the scream told you if you scored. If he didn't scream real loud the shiny copper stood out well. A dumb kid held a small green apple between his thumb and forefinger and a dumber kid (me) tried to hit it. He sure screamed and cried a lot over a little BB under his thumb nail and he wouldn't let me remove it with my knife, some people have no sense of humor.

klkak
08-11-2008, 02:35 AM
My L96 gets around 180feet the normal range for a assualt rifle is about 20 yards

Wooow!, 180 feet! That is amazing. The Marine's sniper corp is going to be knocking down your door when this gets out.

Rucksack
08-11-2008, 08:24 AM
Ive seen lots of people try to use this as a "survival practice tool" only to teach them selves very very bad habits because it regresses into a free for all gun battle instead of being applied correctly by trained professinal people who know and understand how to use small unit contact drills in a firefight..

Beo
08-11-2008, 09:11 AM
I hope this is for just having a fun time, because its only good used as training indoors as a CQB drill, we do (here at the sheriff's office) what's called a "Quad" when indoors, and use a type of lipstick ammo called "Simunitions" which is great for training in real world scenarios. But a plastic pellet outdoors has little to no weight and the wind will drastically effect the pellets accuracy and distance, just as it does a paintball. That is why we use simunitions, they have more weight and are the same size as the bullet or projectile being shot, they make these for pistol, shotgun and rifle.
Most airsoft battles take place in close quarters even out doors, although it is picking up here in the states paintball still has more of rep than airsoft, the difference is the airsoft weapons look more real, actually just like a real weapon and several people have been shot because of them, never take the orange band off the gun, its most times painted on and people take it off or paint over it to look more real, remember to a police officer it looks like a real weapon and he will draw down on you if you have on.

Rucksack
08-11-2008, 09:22 AM
They do make ceramic ammo that will take chuncks out of exposed skin and a considerable range for being an air "weapon"...I dunno. IMO. I'd rather spend my time and energy on something more practical. BTDT in the Army. I had a buddy who use to survival train with me every month in the swamps in my area. He wasnt very good at it but he at least showed up. Once he discovered A.S., I havnt seen him in over 6 months.... Its a shame too becuase he lives in the inner city and has chosen to focus all his time, money and energy on having fun rather then preparing for more realistic situations.....

Beo
08-11-2008, 09:25 AM
That is a shame, I prefer to hunt and track to hone my tactics at stalking and shooting and being a cop and on the SRT gives me time to really parctice my shooting, but my treks give me plenty of time for practicing my survival skills.

Rucksack
08-11-2008, 09:31 AM
Ive discovered using my camera to get some nice wildlife photos while out in the wilderness really helps keep my all my tactical skills sharp. I stopped hunting sometime ago for my own reasons so I found taking pictures works for me just as good...

Looks like you too have worked out what works for you....:-)

smokelessfire
08-11-2008, 09:33 AM
i like my cousin's bb gun shotgun idea. he took about ten bb's and rolled them into tissue paper(looked like a joint), then shoved it into the gun and blammo, shotgun!

commoguy
08-11-2008, 04:50 PM
I hope this is for just having a fun time, because its only good used as training indoors as a CQB drill, we do (here at the sheriff's office) what's called a "Quad" when indoors, and use a type of lipstick ammo called "Simunitions" which is great for training in real world scenarios. But a plastic pellet outdoors has little to no weight and the wind will drastically effect the pellets accuracy and distance, just as it does a paintball. That is why we use simunitions, they have more weight and are the same size as the bullet or projectile being shot, they make these for pistol, shotgun and rifle.
Most airsoft battles take place in close quarters even out doors, although it is picking up here in the states paintball still has more of rep than airsoft, the difference is the airsoft weapons look more real, actually just like a real weapon and several people have been shot because of them, never take the orange band off the gun, its most times painted on and people take it off or paint over it to look more real, remember to a police officer it looks like a real weapon and he will draw down on you if you have on.
its also a felony at least in the state of texas

Rucksack
08-12-2008, 04:52 PM
I have an air soft rifle i gutted out and use as a training weapons. It allows me to continuously experience of re-enforcing the burden of having to carry and care for a weapon (because it has mostly real M4 parts on it that have to be PMed or it will get funky) w/o the fear of going to jail for having it in questionable stretches of wilderness...Other then that I have no use for AS..

I got it used..Its a bit more pimped out that I wanted but it affords me its uses..The weight was much more then a real M4, I don't play AS so I gutted the insides and just binned em to get ity close to actual weight. Then I painted it camo...

I put a scope on it because I figured If I'm gonna carry the thing It may as well serve some purpose besides weight and pissing me off..The scope aids in observation, of course..

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m210/eastscout/P1012911.jpg

Rick
08-12-2008, 05:38 PM
So, what's it do? Nothing?

Rucksack
08-12-2008, 05:45 PM
It allows me to continuously experience of re-enforcing the burden of having to carry and care for a weapon (because it has mostly real M4 parts on it that have to be PMed or it will get funky) w/o the fear of going to jail for having it in questionable stretches of wilderness..

I subscribe to another form of suvival..........:cool:Fear not, its not political or religous in nature so I wont polute yoru forum with that sort of drivle. I have no use for either.........

Rick
08-12-2008, 05:50 PM
I got that part. I just meant can it actually be used for anything other than a club? If you are out and have a tool then I think the tool should be usable otherwise it's just sort of unnecessary weight. I'm not trying to be critical just trying to understand if it functions and if so what that function is. If it doesn't actually shoot anything and you are just carrying it to carrying it then have at. It's your muscles and your experience. Enjoy how ever you want.

Rucksack
08-12-2008, 05:53 PM
YES it will take a bayonet if I unscrew the silencer.......Sorry I misunderstood your Q..;-)..Other then that its a training aid...or a club for the wild dogs around here..

klkak
08-12-2008, 09:29 PM
I'd rather carry a Cricket single shot .22 rifle then that thing. You better paint the end of that thing orange before you are involved in a KBC (Killed By Cop) incident.

Rucksack
08-13-2008, 06:29 AM
I'd rather carry a Cricket single shot .22 rifle then that thing. You better paint the end of that thing orange before you are involved in a KBC (Killed By Cop) incident.

You may be able to get away with that where you live but here in the lower states carrying a pistol is generally frowned upon..Paint it orange? LOL Ok.. why on earth would I be careless enough to point it at a cop and start trouble? But, okay. If you say so..

Rick
08-13-2008, 06:56 AM
Carry by permit is legal in most states, Rucksack. Each state has it's own requirements but it's certainly legal.

Beo
08-13-2008, 08:23 AM
Rucksack,
The reason is not because you'd point it at him but because it looks really real.
Being a cop if I got a dispatch to a man in cammies or civilian clothes with a gun and you were the call and carrying that thing I'd draw down on you. It's a safety issue for the police, because I wouldn't know it was an AS gun, if you moved it in my direction I would without hesitation double tap you in the chest. Not that I want to shoot you or anybody else (well maybe a few idiots) but it looks real so when I draw down on a person with a realistic looking gun I don't know if it is real or not, if the gun moves barrel first in my direction or that of others (if others are around) I'd shoot, hate to find out it wasn't real but its better than me being shot.
The cop should at first draw down and then give you commands to lower the weapon to the ground butt first, making you lower it by the barrel, once on the ground he should have you turn around and walk back to his voice, once there he'll have you place your hands behind your back as if praying (palms together) and then cuff you. Here in Ohio you would not be arrested for for it once it was found to be an AS gun you'd be arrested for inducing panic and removing or covering the marking tape or paint, which is a payout ticket of $125.00 dollars within 7 days or the fine doubles every seven after that, or go to court within 14 days and a no show would put a bench warrant for your arrest.
Now that being the law, I'd not arrest you once it was found to be an AS gun, I'd pull out a strip of orange tape from my trunk and slap it around the end of the barrel, and radio to dispatch that your playing airsoft with others or alone. But that's me and how I operate as cop.

klkak
08-13-2008, 07:48 PM
Rucksack,
The reason is not because you'd point it at him but because it looks really real.
Being a cop if I got a dispatch to a man in cammies or civilian clothes with a gun and you were the call and carrying that thing I'd draw down on you. It's a safety issue for the police, because I wouldn't know it was an AS gun, if you moved it in my direction I would without hesitation double tap you in the chest. Not that I want to shoot you or anybody else (well maybe a few idiots) but it looks real so when I draw down on a person with a realistic looking gun I don't know if it is real or not, if the gun moves barrel first in my direction or that of others (if others are around) I'd shoot, hate to find out it wasn't real but its better than me being shot.
The cop should at first draw down and then give you commands to lower the weapon to the ground butt first, making you lower it by the barrel, once on the ground he should have you turn around and walk back to his voice, once there he'll have you place your hands behind your back as if praying (palms together) and then cuff you. Here in Ohio you would not be arrested for for it once it was found to be an AS gun you'd be arrested for inducing panic and removing or covering the marking tape or paint, which is a payout ticket of $125.00 dollars within 7 days or the fine doubles every seven after that, or go to court within 14 days and a no show would put a bench warrant for your arrest.
Now that being the law, I'd not arrest you once it was found to be an AS gun, I'd pull out a strip of orange tape from my trunk and slap it around the end of the barrel, and radio to dispatch that your playing airsoft with others or alone. But that's me and how I operate as cop.

Beo, Thank you for that response. My good friend from high school is a cop in southern California. He used to teach at their academy. Once while visiting him I sat in on a class. This subject was the topic of discussion. According to his lecture people are shot and killed by law enforcement all to often in the U.S. while having a realistic looking toy gun in their hands. I remember another instructor after class saying something to the effect "If in doubt, a double tap will sort it out" or something like that. All of this came to my mind when I saw the picture and read what he wrote.

marberry
08-14-2008, 11:38 PM
i had 2 natural resource officers draw on me when i was carrying my S&W 686 6" while squirrel hunting in a provincial forest , i dont blame them for it atall but the fact they charged me with carrying a loaded firearm within 300 meters of a build up area (dirt road) when i had a pellet pistol under 500 fps holstered really irked me.

trax
08-15-2008, 01:44 PM
i had 2 natural resource officers draw on me when i was carrying my S&W 686 6" while squirrel hunting in a provincial forest , i dont blame them for it atall

Oh you did not. Stop that:mad:

marberry
08-15-2008, 03:55 PM
seriousily , it was nopmig provincial park north of whiteshell and i came out of the bush across the road from a provincial campground, they thought it was real cause in the holster it looks real.

Omid
08-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Airsoft is a bb gun that uses 6mm .12gram plastic bbs. They still hurt though...

rightcoast
08-24-2008, 08:20 PM
Not really Crash mainly cause the cats love them and gather them but there is bio-degradeable but it really serves no purpose considering it takes almost 2-3 years to fully dissolve

This is meant lighthearted and as a compliment ... but oh to be so young again that it seems something that takes 2 or 3 years to occur is pointless. :D

Proud American
08-25-2008, 07:58 PM
I once found a air soft pistol behind my house barried in the back corner of the park and thought it was a real gun. Called the cops and then found out it was airsoft.

canid
08-26-2008, 01:41 AM
lol. nice. a friend of mine was once pulled over with his airsoft gear sitting out in the back seat, bunch of mags, replica sig sauer p220 with no orange tip, drop leg holster, etc. luckily enough the cop recognized it immediately for what it was, but if the lighting had been worse, that could have been one tense speeding ticket.