PDA

View Full Version : Headlamp or Flashlight

VampireRanger676
08-06-2008, 03:19 AM
Which do you guys pefer? Personally for me it depends on the situation but usally I stick with Army surplus angle head flashlight.What about you?:D and i'm not sure but sorry if this is a as Sarge calls it "a newbie post"

Rick
08-06-2008, 06:24 AM
Yes. Actually depends on the situation. I have finally been converted to a headlamp but only use it for night hiking or working on something that requires both hands. I have a Photon Freedom Micro that I carry on a pocket survival kit I put together. I use it more than any other light I own.

LostOutrider
08-06-2008, 06:57 AM
I carry both. I have the head-strap for when we come across caves and fissures on our hikes. There's enough of them that we always find something to crawl into if we want. It is also useful for setting up camp in the dark or the unplanned nighthike back to a water source. I keep a LED penlight clipped on the inside of my jungle hammock for quick access when I'm sleeping.

Which reminds me, I need to figure out a way to smoosh that thing into a sewing machine. I want to sew on a small interior pouch so I can have my glasses & penlight right above my head when I sleep.

crashdive123
08-06-2008, 07:26 AM
I too carry both. My little 3 watt high intensity get the most use, but when I need the freedom of using 2 hands - headlalmp fits the bill nicely.

Ole WV Coot
08-06-2008, 10:00 AM
I have several of the angle lights thanks to my previous employer who also furnished a couple of headlamps. I used the angle for so many years I just automatically grab it. I do like the little led on my keys, use it more than any.

Rick
08-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Dear Ma,

Want to know what Coot did? You won't like it none.

I figure it this way, Coot. I've never stolen a thing in my life. I've only borrowed stuff. When I die everyone can come get what belongs to them.

jrock24
08-06-2008, 11:48 AM
I carry both.

RobertRogers
08-06-2008, 12:13 PM
With weight and bulk an issue, I have a headlamp as it can be used either on or off the head.

skunkkiller
08-06-2008, 12:58 PM
I like the head lamp that clips to the bill of my hat small but alot of light and a mini max.

Ole WV Coot
08-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Dear Ma,

Want to know what Coot did? You won't like it none.

I figure it this way, Coot. I've never stolen a thing in my life. I've only borrowed stuff. When I die everyone can come get what belongs to them.

Would you believe a retirement truck load of goodies? Bet you think I backed up to the storeroom and helped myself. Been retired 12yrs and still have some tape. Body belt & hooks are practically new. Fluke meter is used often and first aid kits are handy. As is hand cleaner, JK, drills, rain suits and assorted goodies that were forced on me. I really haven't inventoried everything and Scotchlocks do come in handy. Lifetime union card. Wonder if I will need a rep after this post.:rolleyes::eek:

Rick
08-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Maybe a lawyer!? I wish Scotchlocks were nickles. I'd be rich!!!!! Tie wraps are starting to get a bit low. Use those babies for everything.

RBB
08-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Headlamps are very handy. I have an extremely small lantern that I hang from the ridgepole - if I'm using a tent - otherwise it is headlamps.

wildWoman
08-06-2008, 05:02 PM
We use only headlamps. Got a couple with a wind-up charger on them last year, but they are pretty crappy, the charge only lasts aout 30 minutes. Hoping for Freeplay to come on the market with a wind-up headlamp, because their products are excellent (2 year warranty!). We have a wind-up latern and radio by them. The radio also has a tiny solar panel on it for charging. Can't recommend it enough.

Capt.Canuck
08-06-2008, 05:27 PM
I use the Zebra H50-Q5. Very well made, compact and long-lasting.

It can be worn as a headlamp, clipped on to my pack or pocket, or as a free standing lamp.

On the lowest setting, it can apparently be run for 3.5 days (yes days) using a single AA battery.

More info here if interested:

http://www.zebralight.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=183

http://www.fenixtactical.com/zebra-h50-q5.html

crashdive123
08-06-2008, 05:35 PM
CC - I love the size of that light.

dilligaf2u2
08-06-2008, 11:42 PM
I have a Craftsman Baseball cap with 2 white LED's in the brim. I modified it to take 2 AAA batteries.

I have a Gerber Infinity, I use most when I do not need both hands free. It can clip onto my other hats if need be, making it double duty!

Of the 10 or so flashlights I have, I use what is needed for the job. Each have quality's that make them good at the right time.

Don

Riverrat
08-07-2008, 07:14 AM
I have both and use both, depends on what I am doing.

bulrush
08-08-2008, 10:07 AM
I can carry my headlamp in my hand, but my flashlight won't stay on my head, it just rolls off. I like the headlamp best for camping and outdoor use. It's a requirement for caving.

pgvoutdoors
08-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Head Lamp, most definitely!

Rick
08-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Bulrush - A good solid knot raised just back from the forehead with give you something to hang the light's lanyard over.

91g-dub
08-08-2008, 03:29 PM
Seems like I have a lifetime supply of Mini Mag lights or those things reporduce like rabbits I'm not sure which. All of mine are converted to LED.

Don't have a headlamp yet, I do think that they are handy in a lot of situations just haven't done my homework yet on which one to buy (and I'm very frugal so still looking for the one that fits my needs and budget).

crashdive123
08-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Seems like I have a lifetime supply of Mini Mag lights or those things reporduce like rabbits I'm not sure which. All of mine are converted to LED.

Don't have a headlamp yet, I do think that they are handy in a lot of situations just haven't done my homework yet on which one to buy (and I'm very frugal so still looking for the one that fits my needs and budget).

With so many mini mags, just wire two of em together with coat hanger and wear one just above each ear. You'll be the envy of the headlamp world.:D

DOGMAN
08-20-2008, 01:46 AM
I couldn't live without my headlamps. I wear a Princetontec Yukon, 365 nights a year as I make rounds through the kennel. Then when in the field they just cant be beat for hands free mobility- Cooking, chopping kindling, saddling a horse, changing a tire are all much easier with a headlamp.
I do keep a giant mag light in my pick-up, but I rarely use it.

sgtdraino
08-20-2008, 02:07 AM
I too carry both, but if I could only pick one, a headlamp is probably more useful.

I use an LED headlamp that does red, blue, and 1 watt white, which runs off of a standard AA battery or rechargeable AA battery, which I can recharge with my solar bank in necessary.

I also carry an HDS EDC light, probably the greatest handheld flashlight ever made. It has presets you can assign all manner of different brightness levels, strobe, SOS, etc. Runs on a single CR123, regular or rechargeable.

fitfisherman
08-20-2008, 09:29 AM
My headlamp is priceless. I do a lot of night fishing for walleyes, also I use it when I'm camping or hunting. I carry several lights in my boat at night. But the headlamp is used more than any other. Very handy piece of equipment.

I've even used it to do work on my plumbing in my house before.:)

91g-dub
08-20-2008, 01:50 PM
With so many mini mags, just wire two of em together with coat hanger and wear one just above each ear. You'll be the envy of the headlamp world.:D

If I do that I'll be the envy of the Geek world

laughing beetle
08-23-2008, 12:13 PM
I use a headlamp a lot. I bought it at Wallyworld for 8 bucks, I think. I also carry a mini mag in my cargo pocket and an extra in the backpack. Then again i also carry a candle or two for emergencies, and have worked out a pretty decent pine pitch torch. That has an added bonus of warding off mosquitos...;)

BK-72
11-25-2008, 05:31 PM
What headlamps would folks recommend?

Working in security and law enforcement all my life I've settled on a couple of flashlights - the Streamlight Scorpion for general use and the Pelican M6 for when I work at night (rarely anymore)

crashdive123
11-25-2008, 05:41 PM
My Princeton Tec Fuel works very well. At the low setting it's rated at 160 hrs. The low setting is plenty of light for camp chores. I have a few others - My Streamlight headlamp does not get nearly the battery life as my others (about 1 hour on high, and 4 hours on low) but it is super bright. Petzl also makes good head lamps. Lots of other brands available too.

Pal334
11-29-2008, 08:36 PM
I am a "surefire" guy; http://www.surefire.com/G2-Led

A bit pricey, but is rugged, durable and I have used this style throughout the world for 15 plus years without any failures. Must admit though, have never used a headlamp type light

Rick
11-29-2008, 08:49 PM
$69 for a flashlight? I feel faint. Heart palpitations even. :D

I carry a mini mag and a photon micro light on my key chain. I have a Petzl Tika Plus that I carry outdoors. Oh, yeah, yeah, it's the same one my wife retrieved out of my pack so she could walk the dog and hasn't put back yet. Yeah, that's the one.

wareagle69
11-30-2008, 12:17 AM
i just bought my first cap led light it helps keep me hands free when carring water to the horse barn at night i like it

SARKY
11-30-2008, 04:07 AM
Check out the Inova brand 24-7 light. It can be used as a flash light or as a head lamp. It has 7 modes of operation low white, high white, low red, high red, Flashing SOS, flashing orange/yellow, flashing multi color. It also comes with a slew of attachments. One is magnetic so you could use it around your car as a work light. A pretty cool piece of kit.

Pal334
11-30-2008, 03:16 PM
$69 for a flashlight? I feel faint. Heart palpitations even. :D

I carry a mini mag and a photon micro light on my key chain. I have a Petzl Tika Plus that I carry outdoors. Oh, yeah, yeah, it's the same one my wife retrieved out of my pack so she could walk the dog and hasn't put back yet. Yeah, that's the one.

I will share my meds with you :rolleyes:. I guess it can be called expensive, but quality is as quality does. Besides the company pays, so quality all the way. And when I travel for them in hazard areas, I make sure they buy good stuff. I probably better not tell you how many I have:eek:

Badawg
12-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Without a doubt, if I could only have one, it would be a headlamp. This is the one I have been the happiest with. http://www.rei.com/product/749039 It is so much handier in outdoor situations due to the hands-free aspect. this particular one is more useable due to the easy tightening strap. the swivel mount, and the clip that's built in than any lamp I have ever had. pics of mine below.

It's not as bright as many, but I think it makes up for it with it's lightness and flexibility.

next thing in page is a surefire 6P. It was a gift from a friend on his way out of the USMC. I would have never bought it, but now that I have it, I would replace it if lost/stolen.

http://www.surefire.com/6P-Original

Apparently these are standard issue to jarheads headed to the middle east and the one he gave me came with rail mounts the fit my FN-FAL...

And, over the years I have acquired quite a collection of mag-lights in various sizes, the Mini's are very handy and I have one in each car BOB and in the office too. Hint... Black is the worst color for a flashlight you are trying to find in the dark...

crashdive123
01-03-2009, 01:20 AM
Sarge - Move to Survival Kits & Survival Products

RichNH
01-04-2009, 10:01 PM
I use headlamps in the field, I do have a few flashlights for the house including a large maglite I keep next to the bed.

minuteman
01-09-2009, 09:37 PM
I usually carry both, but if I had to choose between the two I'd go with the head lamp cause it's nice to have full usage of both hands.

TDG
01-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Just like you said, depends on the situation. I prefer a flashlight, because it's more flexible in use. But a headlight can be very convenient when you have your hands full of course :D

crashdive123
01-11-2009, 03:09 PM
I prefer a flashlight, because it's more flexible in use.

Could you explain that please.

primeelite
01-11-2009, 06:10 PM
I like the angled army ones as well. I can hook them up on an attachment on the backpack so wherever I look there is light and I can detach it pretty quick if I need to use it in that way. I also carry a mini mag light on me too just in case I need another small flashlight, this always does the trick as far as light as I am not big on too much light as I am traveling through the woods at night.

endurance
01-12-2009, 10:15 PM
My first headlamp was an awful contraption. It was a four D cell beltpack with a wire that got in the way of everything as it made its way up to my helmet with this enormous reflector with an incandescent bulb that put out a pathetically weak light for about eight hours. The Forest Service supplied it to me as part of my firefighting gear and since the batteries wouldn't last through a full night, you had to carry yet another rediculously heavy set, just in case.

I was amazed when I found a four AA cell halogen light that put out more light, had no cord as the AA batteries were in the light housing, and the batteries lasted just over six hours. That cut my pack weight by about a pound, even with a couple sets of spare batteries.

Then came the LED revolution. At first they were rediculously expensive, but now a decent once can run $25-35, uses 3 AAA batteries, and they last for up to 24 hours with various levels of dimming.

Now, like Rick, I don't go anywhere without my Photon II (Doug Ritter edition). With the clip, it easily clips on the brim of my hat, my pack strap, or of course, I can simply hold it in my mouth. It has three strobes including SOS, it's dimable, and even at full power the batteries last 12 hours. What's better is a spare set takes up about as much space as a nickle in my pocket and weighs half as much.

While I still have a good quality AAA light in my pack, 90% of the time my Photon is what I grab for since it's always on my keychain.