PDA

View Full Version : You all love fresh fruits, do you like these?

Beo
08-04-2008, 12:09 PM
I love kumquats, they are sweet and sour, and you can eat the peel and all. Do any of you like kumquats.
The kumquats or cumquats are a group of small fruit-bearing trees (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree) in the genus Fortunella related to the Citrus in the flowering plant family Rutaceae, often segregated as a separate genus, Fortunella. The edible fruit (which is also called kumquat) closely resembles that of the orange (Citrus sinensis) but is smaller and is often oval.
They are slow-growing, evergreen shrubs or small trees, from 2.5–4.5 metres tall, with dense branches, sometimes bearing small thorns. The leaves are dark glossy green, and the flowers pure white, similar to other citrus flowers, borne singly or clustered in the leaf-axils. The kumquat tree produces 80-100 fruit each year. The tree can be hydrophytic, and fruit is often found floating near the shore during the kumquat season.
Kumquats originated in China (they are noted in literature dating to the 12th century), and have long been cultivated there and in Japan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan). They were introduced to Europe in 1846 by Robert Fortune, collector for the London Horticultural Society, and shortly thereafter into North America. Originally placed in the genus Citrus, they were transferred to the genus Fortunella in 1915, though subsequent work (Burkill 1931, Mabberley 1998) favours their return to inclusion in Citrus.
Four or five species are currently accepted:

Fortunella crassifolia (syn. Fortunella crassifolia) - Meiwa Kumquat. Generally eaten fresh, skin-on, instead of cooked.
Fortunella hindsii (syn. Fortunella hindsii) - Hong Kong Kumquat
Fortunella japonica (syn. Fortunella japonica, C. margarita, F. margarita) - Marumi or Nagami Kumquat. Tart, prized for staying fresh on the tree longer, generally cooked or peeled.
Fortunella obovata (syn. Fortunella obovata) - Jiangsu or Fukushu Kumquat
Fortunella polyandra (syn. Fortunella polyandra) - Malayan Kumquat
Kumquats readily hybridise with other members of the genus Citrus and with the closely related Poncirus. These hybrids are known as Citrofortunella; examples include the limequat, orangequat, and calamondin.
In appearance the kumquat fruit (generally called simply "kumquat") resembles a miniature oval orange, 3–5 centimetres long and 2–4 centimetres wide. Depending on variety, peel color ranges from yellow to red. A Nagami kumquat has an oval shape, while a Marumi kumquat is round.
Kumquat fruit is generally in season from late autumn to mid-winter, and can be found in most food markets with other produce.

http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/5408/kumquatxd4.th.jpg (http://img382.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kumquatxd4.jpg)

Beo
08-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Kumquats are frequently eaten raw. As the rind is sweet and the juicy center is sour, the raw fruit is usually consumed either whole, to savour the contrast, or only the rind is eaten. The fruit is considered ripe when it reaches a yellowish-orange stage, and has just shed the last tint of green. The Hong Kong Kumquat has a rather sweet rind compared to the rinds of other citrus fruits.

Culinary uses include: candying and kumquat preserves, marmalade, and jelly. Kumquats appear more commonly in the modern market as a martini garnish, replacing the classic olive. They can also be sliced and added to salads. A liqueur can also be made by macerating kumquats in vodka or other clear spirit.
The Cantonese often preserve kumquats in salt or sugar. A batch of the fruit is buried in dry salt inside a glass jar. Over time, all the juice from the fruit is extracted through dehydration into the salt. The fruit in the jar becomes shrunken, wrinkled, and dark brown in color, and the salt combines with the juice to become a dark brown brine. A few salted kumquats with a few teaspoons of the brine/juice may be mixed with hot water to make a remedy for sore throats. A jar of such preserved kumquats can last several years and still keep taste.
In Taiwan, kumquats are a popular addition to both hot and iced tea.
In Vietnam, kumquat bonsai trees are used as a decoration for the Tết (New Year) holiday.
Variants of the kumquat are grown specially in India.
Kumquats are cultivated in China, Taiwan, Southeast Asia, Japan, the Middle East, Europe (notably Corfu, Greece), and the southern United States (notably Florida)
They are much hardier than other citrus plants such as oranges. The 'Nagami' kumquat requires a hot summer, ranging from 25 ℃ (77') to 38 ℃ (100.4'), but can withstand frost down to about −10 ℃ (14 ℉) without injury. It grows in the tea balls of China where the climate is too cold for other citrus fruits, even the Mikan (also known as the Satsuma) orange. The trees differ also from other Citrus species in that they enter into a period of winter dormancy so profound that they will remain through several weeks of subsequent warm weather without putting out new shoots or blossoms. Despite their ability to survive low temperatures, as in the vicinity of San Francisco, California, the kumquat trees grow better and produce larger and sweeter fruits in warmer regions.

jrock24
08-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Yup, they are very good. The strange thing about them is I see them growing on the sides of some major freeways near downtown L.A.

Beo
08-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Someone must have planted them or just threw out the seeds. Hmmm, interresting.

Styric
03-04-2009, 09:16 PM
I love kumquats. Pop it whole into the mouth and chew it up. It is like natural candy. Super tart with a sweet ending. One of my favs.

Stairman
03-05-2009, 08:39 AM
I have a tree and give em to my mom.Wife bought it at the flea market.I dont like eating peel and seeds and forget about trying to peel and eat,too small.Im sure the zest in the peel is good for you but I dont enjoy crunching on em at all.

Runs With Beer
03-05-2009, 09:01 AM
I love them,A friend of mine has one in his yard and its loaded now, We alos eat them whole.

Chris
03-05-2009, 09:43 AM
I wife likes them, a little too sour for me.

grundle
03-05-2009, 03:02 PM
Wow, these are great. I didn't realize it was such a hearty little plant. I am going to put one in my backyard this year.

swampmouse
03-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Excellent. Had a tree in the backyard when I lived in FL.

SnipAR-10
03-16-2009, 01:12 AM
Have one tree in the backyard, didn't know what the thing was for quite a few years. Never tried any, but I might this year.

earlthegoat2
03-16-2009, 10:14 AM
I like grinding them up with yogurt in the morning as part of my breakfast.

hoosierarcher
03-23-2009, 04:03 AM
There is a Chinese restaurant in Tracy, CA that makes a chicken dish with candied kumquats in it and it is FANTASTIC! The chef slices them very thinly the drops them into hot simple syrup and allows them to cool in it. then adds them to the dish. The sauce was also made from juiced kumquats. They just call it Citrus Chicken.

Styric
03-23-2009, 11:33 AM
There is a Chinese restaurant in Tracy, CA that makes a chicken dish with candied kumquats in it and it is FANTASTIC! The chef slices them very thinly the drops them into hot simple syrup and allows them to cool in it. then adds them to the dish. The sauce was also made from juiced kumquats. They just call it Citrus Chicken.

Dude! I live in Sacramento, CA. What is the name of that restaurant? That dish sounds like it would be worth the drive.

hoosierarcher
03-23-2009, 02:52 PM
SacOTomatoes huh? I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the place. But there are only a few chinese restaurants in Tracy. I last lived there 5 years ago. So maybe that has changed. But they also serve a dish called Peking Prawns that were out of this world good.

canid
03-24-2009, 02:45 AM
i love those things!