08-02-2008, 10:49 PM
The M6 Survival System out of the Springfield M6 Scout Rifle
by
V Shrake

This is a good read, with great ideas.

http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/v-shrake/m6.html

klkak
08-02-2008, 11:03 PM
I guess great minds think alike. I dressed my .22 hornet M-6 up similarly.

1. I took the original rear sight off and replaced it with a Williams fully adjustable peep sight.

2. I added additional storage for .410 shells on the side of the buttstock by epoxying a six round shell holder to it.

3. I solved the problem of attaching a sling by drilling out the hole in the protrusion below the muzzle to fit a standard Q/D sling swivel. I then replace the screw at the base of the buttstock with the screw in attachment for the Q/D sling swivels.

4. I wrapped the barrels with a layer of 550 and a layer of 1000lb para cord.

5. I replaced the take-down pin with a stainless steel bolt and a stainless steel nyloc nut.

Because I carry the majority of my survival equipment in an old U.S. Air force pilots survival vest and I didn't want to compromise the handling of the gun with a bunch of crap hanging from it. I didn't feel it necessary to attach any more to it.

I killed my first Alaska big game animal with this setup on Afognak Is. Using Remington 45gr. hollow points. One shot at 66 laser verified yards. My friends were amazed with the little guns performance and my modest shooting skill.

crashdive123
08-03-2008, 07:24 AM
Good info on modifications that work. Thanks.

Sourdough
08-03-2008, 12:25 PM
If the 550 cord gets wet, or wet and dries, can it shrink, I don't know, but those barrels are very light contour, and easy to bend. I don't have an answer but it could sure effect bullet placement.

klkak
08-03-2008, 03:21 PM
If the 550 cord gets wet, or wet and dries, can it shrink, I don't know, but those barrels are very light contour, and easy to bend. I don't have an answer but it could sure effect bullet placement.

I've had this gun set up like this since I bought it. I have not noticed any problems yet. The para cord is made of some type of poly.

crashdive123
08-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Paracord will shrink some (read about 10% once). If that's a concern you could always soak it, let it dry and then do your wrap.

klkak
08-03-2008, 09:29 PM
My M-6 set up the way it is shoots "minute of clay pigeon" at 100 yards. Considering what I use it for that is good enough.

Sam
08-03-2008, 10:55 PM
My M-6 set up the way it is shoots "minute of clay pigeon" at 100 yards. Considering what I use it for that is good enough.

If you stack hacksaw blades or something similar to space the barrels under the cord wrap. that way you don't have to worry about the shrinking cord.
Hope this helps.

Finish your drink, there are sober people in China!

Gray Wolf
08-03-2008, 11:33 PM
My Springfield M6 Scout Rifle with stainless steel barrel got robbed today, while fishing. The ins co. will pay for the window, but not for the rifle. I want to replace it , no I need to replace it. But people are going crazy with the prices of them. If anyone knows of one for sale, new or used, in great condition, for $250 - $300, please PM me. I'm heart broken, you know how you get attached to your guns. Please keep an ear out. Thanking you in advance for the help.

Sourdough
08-03-2008, 11:51 PM
If you stack hacksaw blades or something similar to space the barrels under the cord wrap. that way you don't have to worry about the shrinking cord.

I like that: Very good Idea, and a disassembled Wyoming Saw could be duck taped beside the barrels, wrapped with copper wire (for snares), then wrap with the pre shrunk 550 cord. Now we are cooking.:)

Sam
08-04-2008, 12:30 AM
My Springfield M6 Scout Rifle with stainless steel barrel got robbed today, while fishing. The ins co. will pay for the window, but not for the rifle. I want to replace it , no I need to replace it. But people are going crazy with the prices of them. If anyone knows of one for sale, new or used, in great condition, for $250 - $300, please PM me. I'm heart broken, you know how you get attached to your guns. Please keep an ear out. Thanking you in advance for the help.

Bodermans Sports had them awhile back for the price range you are looking at.
I am not good with links so I hope this helps.

klkak
08-04-2008, 12:31 AM
I must clarify that the 550 cord is wrapped around the shotgun bbl and the 1000 pound it then wrapped around both bbl's. Thus filling the gap between the bbl's and minimizing the chance of bending the bbl's with shrinking cord.

Sam
08-04-2008, 12:36 AM
I must clarify that the 550 cord is wrapped around the hornet bbl and the 1000 pound it then wrapped around both bbl's. Thus filling the gap between the bbl's and minimizing the chance of bending the bbl's with shrinking cord.

I wondered how you set that up. You were a survival instructor in the USAF were'nt you?

klkak
08-04-2008, 12:46 AM
I wondered how you set that up.?
I'll take a picture of the gun tomorrow and post it in this thread so you can see.

You were a survival instructor in the USAF weren't you?
I have been accused of that on occasion. However I taught at the Air Base Ground Defense school (Volant Scorpion) and (Phoenix Ace) not at the Air Force Survival school in Washington state.

Sourdough
08-04-2008, 12:53 AM
Well, The M-6 is "OUT" of production again, as of March 2008. It is not listed in the current Springfield Armory Catalog. If it is important to you, get them while you can.

The last run was made by CZ and sold through Springfield Armory.

Gray Wolf
08-04-2008, 01:23 AM
Well, The M-6 is "OUT" of production again, as of March 2008. It is not listed in the current Springfield Armory Catalog. If it is important to you, get them while you can.
The last run was made by CZ and sold through Springfield Armory.

Yes hopeak it is important to me. Any ideas who a reputable dealer that might have stocked any, that aren't trying to rape anyone on the price. I also want the SS barrel, like the one I had. It won't be a Springfield like the one I had, but close enough, I really loved that rifle... :( Thanks for any help you can give.

klkak
08-04-2008, 01:27 AM
Yes hopeak it is important to me. Any ideas who a reputable dealer that might have stocked any, that aren't trying to rape anyone on the price. I also want the SS barrel, like the one I had. It won't be a Springfield like the one I had, but close enough, I really loved that rifle... :( Thanks for any help you can give.

What caliber are you looking for .22lr, .22mag, .22hornet?

Gray Wolf
08-04-2008, 01:52 AM
What caliber are you looking for .22lr, .22mag, .22hornet?

Mine was a .22lr, but If I have to I'll go with the .22mag, But I'd would prefer to get what I had. I hate thieves. I'm going to post a reward, but that rarely works, especially with guns. I guess I'll be doing some paperwork at the Sheriffs Dept tomorrow.... klkak, as I told hopeak, any help on a reputable dealer, I would be great full. Thanks.

canid
08-04-2008, 02:02 AM
i hear you gw, i feel that way about my dad's browning takedown .22. it wasn't stolen, but sold in the name of hard times. i would snag another one of those up the the beat of a heart if i could. i think i'd sooner replace that than my 10/22, which also hurt me to loose.

since yours was stolen, you might check places like craigslist [not to mention local pawn shops] to see if the thief is as stupid as they tend to be.

Sam
08-04-2008, 02:55 AM
I'll take a picture of the gun tomorrow and post it in this thread so you can see.

I have been accused of that on occasion. However I taught at the Air Base Ground Defense school (Volant Scorpion) and (Phoenix Ace) not at the Air Force Survival school in Washington state.

Sorry for the mix up. I was getting at the survival training USAF guys get being top notch. In the Marine Corps our survival schools were not as intensive.

crashdive123
08-04-2008, 07:13 AM
Gray Wolf - I'll keep my eyes out for one. If I find one I'll pick it up and send you a PM. Another thought - send the author of the link you posted, V Shrake an email - he may know of a source.

Sourdough
08-04-2008, 08:54 AM
GW, I would try Whittakers Gunshop, they are massive, and ship to your FFL dealer for $20.00 shipping. The people at www.RimfireCentral.com buy most of there CZ's there, as they are the cheapest in America.

Gray Wolf
08-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the leads everyone! as Sarge says "Gotta love the Pack"

klkak
08-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Sorry for the mix up. I was getting at the survival training USAF guys get being top notch. In the Marine Corps our survival schools were not as intensive.

Ok, got it.

klkak
08-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Here are some pictures of my M-6 scout rifle.

klkak
08-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Here the rest of the pictures of my M-6 scout rifle.

crashdive123
08-04-2008, 05:01 PM
I like the mods you made and your Vanna White model.

klkak
08-04-2008, 05:09 PM
The grandkids spent the weekend with us so there were toys scattered all over the house. This one was on the counter where I took the pictures and you know Donkey can't pass up a photo-op.

Gray Wolf
08-04-2008, 05:33 PM
klkak, I like the way you attached your knife better. I did mine in the same place, but using 4 Velcro strips (it held in place very well), 1) because I was afraid of drilling the synthetic stock, thought it might crack after awhile, 2) to keep it watertight (as much as possible). I also converted one of my paracord belts (1.5" wide) and made it into a sling. Did you make a little kit using shells inside?

klkak
08-04-2008, 06:11 PM
klkak, I like the way you attached your knife better. I did mine in the same place, but using 4 Velcro strips (it held in place very well), 1) because I was afraid of drilling the synthetic stock, thought it might crack after awhile, 2) to keep it watertight (as much as possible). I also converted one of my paracord belts (1.5" wide) and made it into a sling. Did you make a little kit using shells inside?

No I didn't. I always carry stuff in my pockets so I thought the extra shells were more valuable on the gun.

Gray Wolf
08-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Did you use synthetic washers where you drilled the holes to attach the knife?

klkak
08-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Did you use synthetic washers where you drilled the holes to attach the knife?

No, I squirted some epoxy in the holes before I put the screws in.

Rucksack
08-11-2008, 08:14 AM
I have one. Its .22 and 410..I absolutely love it..Ive been looking for a folding stock for it but to no avail as of yet. It would store easier in my ruck. So I'll keep the long rifle configuration until then..

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m210/eastscout/springfieldm69601.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m210/eastscout/DSC05737.jpg

wallew
08-15-2008, 12:56 AM
GW,
Not sure if this M6 is still available, but it's near your price range ($425) but so far it's the least expensive one I've found. And I'm not sure it's still available. Here's the link:

http://www.shootersexchange.com/detail.cfm?recordID=69787

While this M6 is already sold, check out the forearm grip the guy put on it. Really ingenius if you ask me. A piece of black radiator hose. Looked great.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=850261

FLASH!!! GREY WOLF!!!

If this is STILL FOR SALE, you really owe me one. Exactly what you are looking for. For $175.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/detail.cfm?id=100054519&string=cid=329

Gray Wolf
08-15-2008, 01:47 AM
FLASH!!! GREY WOLF!!!

If this is STILL FOR SALE, you really owe me one. Exactly what you are looking for. For $175.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/detail.cfm?id=100054519&string=cid=329

OH yes I would, Big thanks! ;)