PDA

View Full Version : Getting Fast Hits with an Air Rifle

Pict
08-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Here in Brazil I try to keep my shooting skills up by shooting with a Gamo air rifle in the back yard. We've discussed using an air rifle here for hunting small game so I thought this topic would be appropriate to the board.

The rifle I use has a hooded front sight. A few years ago I discovered that the front sight hood acts as an excellent close range sight all by itself and allows me to get off fast shots at close range, bacically using it like a large ghost ring, circle target, squeeze trigger. It is really simple and effective.

Over on Warriortalk.com they discuss this as the "Caveman Eotech" when shooting the AK or SKS. I have done this with both rifles and it works surprisingly well. The sight arraingement on my air rifle is exactly the same as my SKS and affords for cheap practice for this method.

Anyway I shot a video of it the other day that explains it better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZmzeu8MmU4&feature=plcp

If you own a rifle with a front sight hood, or even ears that curve inwards like the AK, I suggest you try it out to about 35 to 50 meters. You can get fast close range hits very easily. In my backyard range I use a carbide cutting disc as a target about 18 meters away. Mac