PDA

View Full Version : Trip wire

dilligaf2u2
08-02-2008, 05:02 AM
I ran across a couple roles of army surplus trip wire this week. 160 foot on a wooden spool in yellow and green.

At one time I carried a few feet of copper wire for snares and such. I also found it useful for tying branches together for a shelters and other tying uses when strength was needed. This was before nylon rope and string was around! (Ya Ya I am old) I remember (way back) when most of the rope I carried was hemp and kite string.

Over time it came up missing and I just forgot to replace it. I started using 550 cord and nylon string when it became easier to get. When I saw these roles, I had to pick up some for my pack and the BOB's. Nostalgia and old school still works.

Don

Capt.Canuck
08-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Funny coincidence - I was going through an old box of kit yesterday looking for an alice clip (damn some of that stuff was musty) and found a spool of issue olive drab tripwire. It was a nice surprise find.

Not sure how many feet are on the spool, but it's a nice compact size and though finer (smaller diameter) than the copper wire many use, it will be equally strong if not stronger.