PDA

View Full Version : Yo Strider!

Sarge47
08-12-2007, 05:02 PM
Please answer the following questions:

1.) What is the make & model of fixed blade knife that you carry right now?

2.) Did you ever decide on a new fixed blade knife & if yes, which one?:confused:

Strider
08-12-2007, 05:13 PM
Now, I have a 15 inch Bowie knife... dunno about the model number... sorry, but I still haven't decided about a new knife... any suggestions? :)

Sarge47
08-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Now, I have a 15 inch Bowie knife... dunno about the model number... sorry, but I still haven't decided about a new knife... any suggestions? :)

What's wrong with your Bowie?:confused: Doesn't it do what you want it to?:cool:

Fog_Harbor
08-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Got a Ka Bar Heavy Bowie myself, love it!

Sarge47
08-12-2007, 10:12 PM
Yo Strider, who makes the Bowie, the name should be engraved right above the finger-guard.:confused: Also, didn't you say you've used Buck knives? More details please.:rolleyes:

Strider
08-13-2007, 11:24 AM
You are right, I do use a buck knife. I have a folding Buck knife, and use the bowie as my fixed blade. The reason I want a different fixed blade is because when hiking, the bowie knife gets kinda in the way cause its a little over a foot long. I want a smaller fixed blade, maybe by the same makers, or by some other company. As for who makes it, here's what it has on the blade:
Jim Bowie 200th Anniversary 1790-1990
Case XX .SS USA 1836

I dunno if the ".SS" is a .55, or .SS, so... Oh, and I didn't put this, don't think it's important or anything, but it has a picture of Jim Bowie on the blade... dunno if any of this helps??:confused:

Sarge47
08-13-2007, 01:47 PM
You are right, I do use a buck knife. I have a folding Buck knife, and use the bowie as my fixed blade. The reason I want a different fixed blade is because when hiking, the bowie knife gets kinda in the way cause its a little over a foot long. I want a smaller fixed blade, maybe by the same makers, or by some other company. As for who makes it, here's what it has on the blade:
Jim Bowie 200th Anniversary 1790-1990
Case XX .SS USA 1836

I dunno if the ".SS" is a .55, or .SS, so... Oh, and I didn't put this, don't think it's important or anything, but it has a picture of Jim Bowie on the blade... dunno if any of this helps??:confused:

Yes it does! You have a bowie made by Case knife Co., who, by the way, is a great company! However the picture of Jim Bowie on the blade tells me that the knife is for "Display" and probably not for field use. Here are some knife facts to help you out. SS simply means "Stainless Steel", and probably a low quality SS or the manufacturer would have stamped anything better on the blade. (Actually the famous "Bowie knife" was not made by Jim Bowie, but his brother.) The question you need to answer now is "How long of a blade do you want to carry?" I've got a Ka-bar Bull Dozier on it's way to me that boasts a 6 1/2 inch blade, (www.tomarskabars.com) I also own a Buck Vanguard with a blade under 5 inches. The difference, besides blade length is the steel used & the grind used on the blade. The Buck uses 420HC which is very strong, and has a "Hollow Grind, making it ideal for finer, more precision cutting. The Ka-bars as well as Ontario usually boast of a "flat grind" which has a greater "Lateral stress" area.

Vol West uses Ontario's RAT-7, which also boasts a 6 1/2 inch blade. You can get that in either 1095 steel, which is very good quality steel as well as being easier to sharpen in the field for about $!00 from Brigade Quartermasters; or in D2 steel, a much tougher steel that holds an edge better, but is harder to sharpen for about 20 bucks more. The Gerber LMF can be purchased for about $75 to $80 depending on where you chop and it has a shorter blade, but is made for the Military for Survival. Any of these knives are in the price range you indicated you were interested in earlier. Now you get the fun of picking one out, let us know what you come up with!

Tony uk
08-15-2007, 11:01 AM
Ive heard of a knife called the Bussie Kinfe i think, its made by a custom knife maker and it always get high reviews, Check it out

Sarge47
08-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Ive heard of a knife called the Bussie Kinfe i think, its made by a custom knife maker and it always get high reviews, Check it out

The Busse combat knife is good, but costs waaay over what Strider said he had in his budget.;)

Tony uk
08-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Coldsteel do a good kinfe called the bushman i think that you could save up for, thats what im going to get next time i need a knife :)

Strider
08-16-2007, 12:05 PM
Thanks for your replies ppl. .. like you said sarge, my bowie knife is mainly for display, I only use it if i really need to cut something big.... anything else, my smaller buck knife is good... i only want a smaller fixed blade, maybe slimmer, and not as heavy. :) :D

Sarge47
08-16-2007, 04:43 PM
Thanks for your replies ppl. .. like you said sarge, my bowie knife is mainly for display, I only use it if i really need to cut something big.... anything else, my smaller buck knife is good... i only want a smaller fixed blade, maybe slimmer, and not as heavy. :) :D

So what have you decided, if anything yet?:confused:

Strider
08-17-2007, 12:00 PM
The gerber LMF sounds interesting... can you tell me more about it??

Sarge47
08-17-2007, 07:25 PM
The gerber LMF sounds interesting... can you tell me more about it??

The Gerber LMF-II "ASEK" model is the best for the money as you can get it with the extra "Seat belt cutting knife". The cost is the same. I found the lowest price so far at the following web-site:

http://www.knifesupply.com/eshop/10browse.asp?category=gerber%20fixed%20blade%20kni ves&ReturnTo=http://www.knifesupply.com/gerber_knives.html

You can get more information here as well as Gerber themselves. This knife is designed to do some heavy-duty cutting and is on my list of "knives-to-buy".:cool: