PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrated meals

wildWoman
07-31-2008, 03:04 PM
We discussed dehydrating whole meals a few weeks ago - this is some of the stuff I took along on my kayaking trip (the red stuff is tomato sauce).

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh154/Northern_bushrat/dehydratedfood-1.jpg

Worked out great: it all packed small, weighed hardly anything, tasted great and rehydrated easily in double-bagged ziplocs overnight. I just added enough water to cover the meal and then added a bit more when the time came to cook it.

I prepared dehydrated pea soup, tomato sauce, refried beans and hummus at home by cooking it all first, just as if I was going to eat it right aways. Then spread it about 1/4" thick, maybe a bit thinner, on a baking sheet. I dried it over 1-2 days in the oven of our wood cook stove; people would need to try on a very low setting with a propane or electric stove. When the top was dry, I flipped it around on the baking sheet to get the bottom dry as well.
Fairly little work for awesome light-weight meals!

Beo
07-31-2008, 03:29 PM
I love the little cooking pot, I got a 6x6 inch folding tin skillet. Those lil things make for cooking good meals.

crashdive123
07-31-2008, 04:24 PM
Glad the meals and the trip went well WW.

Gray Wolf
07-31-2008, 08:07 PM
WW what size is that cooking pot?

wildWoman
07-31-2008, 10:59 PM
It's an MSR pot, holds I think about a litre and a half (maybe 6" x 3"; it's out with the boyfriend right now, otherwise I could have a closer look). Great size for one hugely hungry person to make pasta in. Only drawback is that the handle doesn't lock, so when you pour, it tends to switchblade on you.

canid
07-31-2008, 11:20 PM
oh, great fun if it's full of something boiling that holds heat well, like a bot of beans.

wildWoman
07-31-2008, 11:28 PM
Yeah I wasn't too happy when I noticed that little glitch...but stabilizing it with a stick or fork while pouring worked sort of okay. Otherwise, a nice pot.

Rick
08-01-2008, 03:53 AM
Invest in a Primus Aluminum or GSI Diamonback Gripper pot handle. They run about $7 and you won't have to worry about spilling you dinner again.

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/wildernessdining_2012_7012072

dilligaf2u2
08-02-2008, 04:38 AM
I have that pot set. The 2 cup, 4 cup, and 6 cup. They do not fit into each-other. The locking lid is a great feature. I can pack a couple days worth of food into the 6 cup pot and know it will be where I can find it.

Don