PDA

View Full Version : Green Willow Chairs

BraggSurvivor
07-29-2008, 09:37 PM
This spring I went to the willow fields in the lowland and cut willow to make myself two more chairs for the guest house. I cut and soaked the willow in a cattle water feeder for about 2 months. I built the chairs in a little over three days and covered them in straw for almost a month to allow them to slowly dry. My oldest daughter made the cushions.

Next year I will be doing a headboard.

Here are a couple pictures:

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm259/bructer1/DSC00946.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm259/bructer1/DSC00947.jpg

chiggersngrits
07-29-2008, 09:52 PM
nice work bragg. i like the way the arms curve around. looks pretty comfy.

Ole WV Coot
07-29-2008, 11:09 PM
You did good. I like your work.

Gray Wolf
07-30-2008, 01:23 AM
Great craftsmanship, l like the spiral.

nell67
07-30-2008, 06:48 AM
Nice work Bragg!

Rick
07-30-2008, 08:20 AM
That's pretty cool! Did you clamp the arms in place while the willow dried? I would think they would have a tendency to twist out of shape at the curve while drying. You did a great job of matching diameters, too. That can often be a real pain when doing a project like that.

Last question. I know these are for inside use but did you put any type of sealer on the chairs. That would help with the bark flaking over time....I would think.

Truly nice!

BraggSurvivor
07-30-2008, 02:57 PM
That's pretty cool! Did you clamp the arms in place while the willow dried? I would think they would have a tendency to twist out of shape at the curve while drying. You did a great job of matching diameters, too. That can often be a real pain when doing a project like that.

Last question. I know these are for inside use but did you put any type of sealer on the chairs. That would help with the bark flaking over time....I would think.

Truly nice!

To dry the willow the straw is used to slow the process of drying and therefore rids checking or cracking the small strands. I only use brad nails and deck screws to put it together. The straw also seems to "season" the willow changing the color to almost red instead of the dark brown. I still have the same chairs I built 15 years ago and they are at the fire pit and are still almost perfect as the day I built them. The only thing I add as a finish is a one time coat of mineral oil before burying them under the straw.

They can be used on the porch or in the open elements it doesn't seem to matter. The smell of the willow is also fantastic as the years go by.

trax
07-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Really nice work there, Bragg.

wildWoman
07-30-2008, 07:43 PM
Very nice! Any time you're over this way, feel free to make us a couple like that :D

crashdive123
07-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Nice job Bragg.

Sam Reeves
07-30-2008, 08:19 PM
To dry the willow the straw is used to slow the process of drying and therefore rids checking or cracking the small strands. I only use brad nails and deck screws to put it together. The straw also seems to "season" the willow changing the color to almost red instead of the dark brown. I still have the same chairs I built 15 years ago and they are at the fire pit and are still almost perfect as the day I built them. The only thing I add as a finish is a one time coat of mineral oil before burying them under the straw.

They can be used on the porch or in the open elements it doesn't seem to matter. The smell of the willow is also fantastic as the years go by.

Is it necessary to drill pilot holes for the screws?

Gray Wolf
07-30-2008, 08:20 PM
Brag, the longer I look at the chairs, I wonder how much time and how much willow did you need to match each chair, let alone both? Were you measuring pieces before you cut (I would think so).

BraggSurvivor
07-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Is it necessary to drill pilot holes for the screws?

No, being soaked for up to eight weeks looks after possible splitting. (to the point where new shoots are starting to grow again) I guess it wouldn't hurt but I've never pre-drilled. Chair always stays tight.

BraggSurvivor
07-30-2008, 08:31 PM
Brag, the longer I look at the chairs, I wonder how much time and how much willow did you need to match each chair, let alone both? Were you measuring pieces before you cut (I would think so).

I have an approximate diameter size list and a parts/pieces list from previous chairs I have made.

My brother in law (log home builder in BC) and I are trading work next year. A log picnic table for a king size headboard. The headboard I will let stand in water an extra four weeks to really get the new shoots growing and weave them up the main posts. Spectacular!

snakeman
07-31-2008, 08:57 AM
Thats a nice chair! I'd like to make a willow branch canoe.