PDA

View Full Version : Bioluminescent Mushroom.

Rick
07-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Does anyone know if there are bioluminescent mushrooms? Last time I was out overnight a mushroom inadvertently was knocked over in camp. That blasted thing glowed all night. It was very feint but quite discernible all night long. I intended to take a picture of it the next morning but completely forget in the process of breaking camp. It was covered up with pine needles so I can't even describe what it looked like.

I've never heard of glowing mushrooms and no, we weren't eating them, smoking them or otherwise partaking of funny stuff.

By the way, that forest was a mushroomer's paradise if you knew what you were looking at. I've never seen so many mushrooms in one area. Literally hundreds of them every where.

trax
07-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Probably was one of the little people's houses and you went and broke their roof and that was their campfire glowing from inside the mushroom.

Hey! Go ahead and laugh people.. it's a theory! He's the one who saw mushrooms glowing

Rick
07-29-2008, 12:32 PM
http://photos.ivillage.com/images/photos/resize/pp_Baby%20Photo%20Gallery_1152305917514_431365D.jp g

crashdive123
07-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Maybe Foxfire. http://inamidst.com/lights/foxfire

trax
07-29-2008, 01:20 PM
better get a grasp on that Minister of Science crown there Richard....that there Crash fella came up with a pretty good response (I still like my theory, but his has you know....evidence)

Gray Wolf
07-29-2008, 01:56 PM
crash, I loved the References: :D

Cultural References
In an episode of Lassie, Timmy and Boomer hunt for foxfire so as to scare the girls into not kissing them at the Hallowe'en party.

canid
07-29-2008, 03:04 PM
there are many bioluminescent fungi. probably the most common north american species with luminescent fruit bodies is Omphalotus illudens, the Jack 'o' Lantern. Foxfire, as used to describe the wood colonized by mycellia of a bioluminescent fungus, can be scattered behind a person and used to mark a trail or path and unlike the mushroom tissue, can persist for over a week if conditions aren't so dry as to kil off the mycellia.

Rick
07-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Well, that's it exactly. You...uh...both passed the...uh... test. Just...umm....checking to see if our members are on their toes. Nicely done Crash and Canid!

Minister of Science - Always at work!